Windows 10: EMC's Recommendation and Win10MC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Ok, here's my take on all this.

Minecraft Windows 10 Edition is just like Pocket Edition, Xbox Edition, Playstation Edition or the upcoming Play-on-a-Potato Edition. They're all developed independently of each other, and as Jeb stated before, they are likely to eventually receive different features once they are all up to a base standard. In some ways, this already exists, a prime example being the different crafting system on Pocket Edition. Some people actually like that system better than the regular system in PC Edition. So, eventually, Win10 Edition is likely to develop into its own format, and have its own set of features, which is also why it isn't compatible with PC Edition. This also serves to "segment" the Minecraft community a bit, so that everyone can enjoy the experience, but not everyone is playing the same exact thing.

Also, in regards to this being an "obvious money grab", I'm not seeing how it's really much of a money grab at all, considering it's only available to Win10 users, costs less than regular PC Edition, and current PC players get a copy for free. So...how is it a money grab?

Just my 2cents,
    ~Mobioid
    MegaSwifty, RainbowChin and Gawadrolt like this.
  2. 22nd! :) Windows 10 looks pretty nice
  3. You hit the mark exactly m8! I started out playing Minecraft on the pocket edition. I used to play alot of survival mode, that was back when there were no servers. Then i got the pc one and survival mode on that was mad different. I think windows 10 will be good for people who want that pe experience.

Now if they have controller functionality, that would be just fiiiiiiiiine. I don't know i don't have it yet, can you use controllers for it?
    MegaSwifty likes this.
  4. It's actually designed to go along with pocket edition and the holozens...

Also, if you go to mojang site you can get it for free if you own Java Minecraft. Plus, you can actually upload your own skins, you don't have to buy them.
    Salman_Majid likes this.
  5. Agreed
  6. 26th =/ and okay
  7. You have way too much faith in Microsoft :p
    But that's also the point, 8.1 is the "fixes" to 8.

From what I've read, 10 uses a lot of new technology, which is prone to have bugs. Maybe not usability issues, but could be security. Well see, but anytime something changes so drastic, its hard to have a perfect release.
  8. Lol @ those claiming Win10MC is a money grab. As if giving it our for free to current MC players is going to make money.:rolleyes:
  9. So speaking off Windows 10... Figured I'd check the current state of the Insider program to see what options we have right now to obtain the installation media. As it turns out we can no longer grab the ISO directly but instead download a program called "MediaCreationTool.exe" which can then be either used to either upgrade the current environment (Windows 7 / Windows 8) to Windows 10 or, as its name implies, to create installation media (ISO file) which can be used on another computer.

The first attempt at downloading Windows 10 Professional ended in nothing. The tool seemed to do something for 5 seconds, then it just ended without any warnings or comments. So my second attempt was to download Windows 10 Home. After all; many rumors out there tell you that you can only upgrade to the Home edition for free, even if you have Windows 7 Professional installed.

I'd like to share my experience with you guys. Lets just say that it doesn't exactly give me enough confidence to even bother and try the procedure again:

This is Dutch and it says: "Something happened". Both the header and the extra information only tell me that "something" happened. Something wonderful perhaps, maybe Number 10 is alive, just like number 5? (movie joke). And my only option is "Sluiten", which basically means "Close".

Yah, I won't be upgrading any time soon :)
  10. I actually did the upgrade using the media today and it worked just fine for me... took 2 hours but you know lots of files.
    MegaSwifty and ShelLuser like this.
  11. Did you know Windows 10 is going to be used to later replace password usage?

Hello - uses facial recognition .... which unless someone is being held hostage, or has an evil twin will be harder to crack than normal passwords

You can even add double authentication - ie) finger scanner and pin numbers too

--------

I remember a long time ago, I started making a pre-computer login requirement system, so to allow the computer to boot, you need to have a flashdrive (with the program downloaded - assigned to the computer) plugged in, for the computer to let you through the POST.
  12. Perhaps, but I don't generally use the built in features much. So if I don't use them, I cannot experience how broken they might be.
    GloriousKoch and Gawadrolt like this.
  13. That's actually pretty awesome :D wish I had the proper knowledge to do stuff like that
  14. I downloaded it as soon as it was available, and other than some very minor (a restart and re-download fixed it) driver issues with my graphics card I've had no real problems. As far as losing things, I'm not worried. I recently had to factory reset my build and lost everything, and now I've been backing up almost everything.

It's very convenient, albeit hard to get used to. The interface is much more appealing to me than Windows 7 was. Many apps are pointless if you have a working web browser (Netflix, Youtube, etc) but some are entertaining and helpful (The new paint app). Some apps aren't optimized very well (Some are preset to an incorrect resolution, with no way to change or fix them), such as Skype, or Steam, but it may just be that these applications don't have a "Windows 10 version" yet.

My overall opinion, it's very new and fancy. I like Windows 10, but you're probably better off waiting for the next update if you're worried about losing your data, or you don't want to deal with the un-optimized apps.
    MegaSwifty and WCG_Elite like this.
  15. I'm a sashimi fan, give it to me raw. Been on 10 since last night, no issues yet. I am very rudimentary with my usage though. I'll let y'all know if anything really amazingly broken happens.

To be a true Yąnomamö You must use initial releases of software.
    BailiB likes this.
  16. Oh yeah, I know about this. I don't think it's necessary, I'm not buying it.
  17. The funny thing about that is that it's 100% free.
    MegaSwifty and ThaKloned like this.
  18. I think she was talking about the MC Windows 10 Edition, lol
  19. Thank You, Sir:D Great Advice!
  20. Windows 10 means Killer Instinct and Gigantic...