When You Were a Noob...

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Ritunn, Apr 29, 2016.

1. The first time I played single player Minecraft I did not know about the wiki so not knowing how to do anything I ran around punching things until it got dark. I spotted my first zombie and hightailed it looking for shelter and decided that a nice dark cave that I spotted would be a spot easily defensible (I knew zombies came out at night but I didn't connect that to them spawning in any dark area) against the zombie hoard. Needless to say angry mobs got the jump on me while I was facing the cave entrance expecting attack from the outside and I died very quickly.
    607, PetuniaFigtree, Vizsco and 4 others like this.
  2. Love this thread!

I also wasn't exactly the smartest when I first began playing ;)

Now, as some of you might know it was my girlfriend who introduced me to Minecraft. She had been playing for a few weeks already, came over for the weekend (bringing her laptop) and then showed me what it was all about. Also because she had made up her mind that I would probably enjoy it as well (and boy was she right!!).

I downloaded a demo, played around, didn't understand anything about it, "complained" (naah) and eventually she offered to demonstrate some things for me. Started a creative world and showed me how to do common things like opening inventory, placing items, etc. She then went to the redstone page and said something like "this game even has electronics" and showed a redstone lever, dust and a lamp.

Armed with this knowledge I started playing a bit in creative and got immediately hooked on redstone. It didn't take long to figure out the repeater and comparator (sort off) and not much longer did I get my own Minecraft account and a full copy. Now we could play together in LAN mode.

My gf started a LAN game, I connected and she told me that: "now we have to collect everything ourselves". Made sense. So we came across a ravine and I knew exactly what to do. I jumped in, pressed the spacebar twice and... dropped dead :D

Next thing my gf can't stop laughing for 5 minutes or so while I was a little annoyed that she didn't tell me about not being able to fly :mad: Nothing too serious! Even though I was a bit grumpy that quickly faded because it was pretty hard to stay angry because her laughter was pretty contagious! :)

Good times; that Friday evening we spent almost the entire night playing survival Minecraft. And honestly... I've had some very good times with Minecraft and on EMC, but nothing compares to that very first Minecraft session together.

Heck... Even now she sometimes teases me not to jump into a ravine when we're playing together ;)
  3. I first played minecraft on the 360 4 years ago. I thought the tutorial world was how all world spawns were (Village with beds etc) You can imagine my confusion when I went on the standard worlds and found villages with no beds.

Also on the same day I was mining a few blocks below the surface (as you do) and happened to hit a river. Using irl logic I assuumed the mine was about to fill with water drowning me. I ran very fast. OHH that brings me on to another nooby thing. I was unaware that pressing the left stick would make you crouch. I went through periods of thinking my character was broken (unaware that i had clicked the left stick) . I reset my xbox to fix it
    Shadow_Dcord and ShelLuser like this.
  4. I originally started on the PS3 and PE and when I first started playing on the PS3 I did the same thing when I crouched on accident!
    Mileymoomin likes this.
  5. A very long time ago, I was heading over to my friend's house for a party. When I got to his house, he showed me minecraft. As soon as I saw him playing it, I knew it was gonna be a game that I would play a lot. After purchasing the game for myself, my friend let me join his server. The server wasn't large (meaning not many people played on it), but there were still 10 or so other friends on it. The biome that we created our "town" in was some sort of snow biome. Anyways, my friend was helping me build my house, and he was building straight up with planks to create the wall of the house. So I tried repeating what he did, so I went up to the house, looked at the ground, and started spamming right-click. I was very confused when the planks weren't getting placed. My friend then told me that I had to jump while I was placing blocks, in order to build straight up. I just realized that this was a very long story lol. If anyone read this whole thing then....

Vizsco and ShelLuser like this.
  6. When I first started Minecraft, I already had watched those professional building videos and what not. Since I already knew what was in the game and how it worked, I tried to copy a build from one of those videos.

Guess how it turned out.
    Shadow_Dcord and ShelLuser like this.
  7. Back when I joined the tutorial was interactive and I had to make a locked sign above a sign and I kept desconnecting and reconnecting before rage quitting then figuring it out 10 minutes later...
  8. I think this thread deserves a bump, but since it's very old I should probably not bump this. So I'll add another one instead. Something which I already shared on another thread, but meh.. It's also fitting here.

When I discovered the Empire for the first time, December 2014, I was just in time to lay my hands on the Dancer promo. Being quite noobish I figured it was merely a free item which just so happened to have a colorful name but those were just details, right?

And who would name that horse Dancer? Mustang sounded so much cooler, surely I could rename it? So I tried just that, and even worked somewhat too! The only thing which didn't really work were the brackets, it ended up looking a bit weird after I spawned the horse. So I eggified, made it worse, renamed again... In the end I gave up and removed all the gibberish entirely and only ended up with the brackets between which I placed the name Mustang. Now I finally had the horse I wanted!

.... only to discover a few weeks later that the horse would have actually been worth quite some rupees! :eek:

... only to discover the next year that there would be a second horse in a the collection (Dasher) :confused:

Anyway, all is right with the promo horses now. I managed to pick up another Dancer so all my n00bie mistakes from the past have been carefully concealed :)

And Mustang is now living in the virtual stable of a friend of mine who actually uses horses regularly so he actually gets something to do from time to time :)

I hope more people still have something to share :)
  9. I thought to cook food you needed to stand near fire
    TuckerAmbr and 607 like this.
  10. Happened to me in Super Mario Bros.

You're right, I hadn't noticed that yet :( I must've lost all my builds, then...

They didn't exist yet, though :p

No, they don't. If a creeper blows up and you die because of it, the items are dropped after the explosion. So you'll only lose your items if another creeper explodes right after it.

Long? It was less than 200 words! :p

Vizsco and Kippy159 like this.
  11. Every time i was about to die in the wild i would log out and wait for my friend to come on and tell me when it was day. Also a funny moment i remember was when i was there for about an 30 mins trying to craft stone tools with stone and not cobblestone. I was a big noob
  12. That happened to me also, until I went to the Minecraft Wiki.
    joshrocks78 likes this.
  13. I didn't know you could right click to split stacks, I played for about an hour trying to fill up 4 different stacks of wooden planks to make a crafting table. Silly noobish me.
    Vizsco and 607 like this.
  14. Funny story, I'm just going to share my first couple of days with you all. First of all I got introduced to minecraft when I went over to my friends house and saw her play it on her phone. I was so intrigued by this block game so I decided to get it on my phone. Keep in mind I had no idea there was a pc version. Anways, back to the topic: my first night was um.. interesting. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I punched a tree got some wood, saw a green thing and went like "Oh my god LOOK its a slime" Heh.. slime.. yeah so of course I ran up to it and lets just say it wasn't a slime :C So the next week I was so terrified of these creatures I just hid in a cave unaware that sooner or later more of those "slimes" would spawn in there. Then someone told me that they don't spawn at day time so I thought to myself "Oh cool they must not like light" So being the Albert Einstein I am I grabbed a bunch of torches, went out at night and there it is. Another "slime" I went up to it and placed a torch down and lets jusssssst say wolf went boom:p
    607 and Vizsco like this.
  15. I remember doing something like this when horses were the big new update to Minecraft. So when EMC first updated to the horse update, they gave everyone the chance to claim a free promo horse. You could either get one with high speed, high jump, and I think the other one might be health... I don't remember what all of their names are, but I decided to get the one with the highest jump, while my sister got the one with more speed (another reason why she has faster horses than me). Well, we both end up renaming the horses because we didn't like the names they came with.
    Well, I look back now and feel like an idiot because I wasn't aware that they were promos. Now I don't know this if this classifies as a noob story, but I think it's a story that relates to the pain.
  16. Way back when, my very first SSP world was in peaceful. I got to enjoy no hunger depletion, permanent regeneration, and most importantly, no hostile mobs spawning. I came to a point where I could not continue without bone meal (for, you know, making every color of wool), but I had never fought a mob before. I made a sword for the first time ever, ran down to the bottom of my quarry, and turned the difficulty to easy. I snuck back up the stairs 3 blocks at a time, and eventually reached the top. I looked around, saw a skeleton a few blocks away, panicked, and ran back down the quarry. It followed me and I freaked out, but skeleton AI was not what it is today, so it fell off the stairs to its death.

...and here I am today, building wither skeleton farms.
    Slvr likes this.
  17. I'm thankful I read the whole wiki before joining EMC or I might have made the mistake of renaming a promo too!
    Sweetie_Pea likes this.
  18. Ah... Noob moments, how about that time I sold a beacon for 200r or the one time when I first started I was way out in the nether with my first set of diamond armor. I found a pack of nether hounds, and since my noon self thought, Wolves! So I tried to take them.... Guess how that worked out.
    Shadow_Dcord likes this.
  19. When I first joined, I didn't realize PvP was disabled in the wasteland because I had only played Sp before joining EMC. I was mining on my first days on the server, and when i surfaced, it was nighttime. I started killing some mobs and was loosing a lot of health, then a player showed up with a bow. I was shot by skeletons to half a heart, but thought it was the player that shot me, so i ran into a hole and placed a bunch of blocks behind me to hide from the other player. It turns out that player was trying to help me rather than kill me.

The first special mob I encountered on the server was an enraged creeper. I thought i could take it with starter Armour, but i didn't realize they could explode 5+ times before before they died, so i was very confused why it wouldn't die. The enraged creeper did kill me and I lost two diamond swords which I stressed out about for the next few days. The swords weren't even that good either.
  20. I have a lot of weird stories from when I was a noob, but I think there is one in particular that I still find strange to this day:p. I thought creepers looked adorable (don't ask), so I built a house out of everything I had collected in that world for the creepers to live in. After finally herding one through the door (it followed me because it "liked" me) it turns out its intentions weren't as kind as I thought. *BOOM* That was the end of candle.