Wastelands Reset Scheduled for May 25th!

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, May 14, 2018.

1. found one, if not the first, on smp8! :D
    ShelLuser and ForeverMaster like this.
  2. Can people make end portals any where ??
  3. Or do they have to find a stonghold
  4. You have to find a stronghold with an end portal, just like vanilla minecraft. I don't think there's any other way unless EMC have made some changes since I've been gone.
  5. While I appreciate your insights about color theory, I will remind you that there are other people in the world who don't think the way you do. Those who decided to use the chosen colors, with a modicum of contrast and a stark edging, to go for the exact feel that was aimed for with this redesign. So politely I request that you realize you don't have the only eyes in the world and your color theory isn't the only viewpoint in the world. Your recescitated preaching is not necessary, nor welcome.
    We3_MPO and ForeverMaster like this.
  6. 1: I was kind of joking (see the ":P"), I wanted to say I didn't really like it in a somewhat friendly way, one way I personally always tend to like being used on things I did is by extreemly exaggerating how much you don't like it. It's the beauty of irony :p

2: I am talking about the kind of colour theory you get when you're studying art on universety, my mother had studied modern art (Rietvelt Academie) and had told me a huge amount about it over the years, colour theory being one of her favourite suspects. I'm not meirly talking about "my" colour theory, I am talking about the general colour theory basis used in modern design. It, by the way, suggestst not to use a colour sceme like this, but I actually didn't even think about that, it's beside theh point.
    The colour theory part actually was ment as an inside-joke for the people that know me, you see: Every time I see purpur I start talking about how bad the colours in that block are: "do you know your colour theory?", since, well, they are: The colour is kind of complimented by sandstone / endstone, but just on its own, bleh. I also tend to bid on auctions that sell purpur with the phrase "just so I can burn it.". I just really dislike the block, it's almost as bad as diorite and glowstone, almost... (joking, again, in case you didn't notice)

3: don't say you apriciate something you don't :p
    Gawadrolt and kamirosee like this.
  7. I'm not a fan of the new outposts...
    nyhl and Jelle68 like this.
  8. I completely agree that you should be honest with any viewpoints. However there is a limit to the extent of said comments, as dictated by general politeness. My comments were to correct the degree to which you took things. Just remember that not everyone is inside your joke and to someone on the outside, your remarks were condescending and rude. Always read your comments from the other side before hitting post.
  9. Yeah, I just thought that, even though most people wouldn't get the "colour theory" part, most people would see I amn't the full 100% serious, or anyway the people/ person who made it. I didn't see anything about it on buildteam, so chances are it was made by SS, and I assumed they would be major enough to get it. Also, I do re-read my commends quite a lot, mainly to correct mistakes in langue. but for posts like the one we're talking about, ones that say derectly what I think, I tend to have them on my second screen for a while, doing something else to re-consider it later. My standards on how derect you can be probably just are different, it might be a culture thing.

I added a little line for people with a different sense of humor, as you seem to be asking.

Next to that, If you're talking to me, could you simplify your pollitically correct English, I'm having seriour prolems trying to understand what you mean, It's my third langue, remember :p

Lastly, the "While I apriciate your insights about colour theory" for me kind of suggests you've build it :p
  10. To simplify:

Not everyone stalks your posts enough to know your sense of humor. Don't use inside jokes that are rude sounding. It's advice for all your writings and will likely save you in a future professional email in the case you need to give criticism on a project.

Also, you might want to check color theory again. Pretty sure triads are used on that color wheel of yours. At the very least, there's a reason they use those colors for Mardi gras. (That is a joke ^)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  11. Well, I haven't looked at them yet (the idea is to wait for Aya to come online and then we're going to give SMP4 a bit of extra love & attention), but I think color should be the least of your worries with the outposts.

My first question would be: are they functional? I know that several players in the past got confused (at first) because they didn't immediately realize that you should go towards the edge, down the stairs and then into the wilderness. Due to their confusion. But for some this means that they can't get off the outpost as fast as possible while others (now also talking about newer players) may really enjoy the functionality (such as the teleportation portals).

And my second question would be: do they still have a cool hidden area to discover? ;)

Anyway, all rhetorical questions mind you, I'm definitely going to find out! hmm, maybe I should do a small review :)

But yeah, I think functionality should outweigh looks. Besides... if you're down on 2 hearts and suddenly you see that glowing, shiny building pop up on the horizon then anything will look good because you'd be looking at your shelter right there :)

Nice work staff team!
    Moonglum_ and nyhl like this.
  12. 1: do you actually think this is the way I write my professional e-mails :p (I might be young, but I have done some professional things regarding design.) The main reason I like thhe EMC forums so much is becuase I can be a little more laid back about things like this :p

2: (I am overyly serious about it, I know you're joking, but I might aswell explain. :p ) you should check your colour theory again: Dark prismarine is a combination of a dark "Gymnasium Groen" (I don't know the English name) and a saphire green, and purpur is a combination of liliac purple and pastel pink (a rather strange colour combination in the first place) "gymnasium groen" and pastel pink should go quite decent with echother, they both have a large composit of white/black in it. It's the liliac that creates a problem: It doesn't go great with colours with large white/black composits, both the block itself, "gymnasium groen" and the gold orange ued in the gold block have this composit, resulting in an gigantic colour clash.

The other problem is that the "gymnasium groen" is one with a black composit, where the other pastel colours have a white one, resulting in another colour clash between the pastels, (Usually, this isn't a problem, but I think it's clashing here too, it might be due to there being two white composists and one black...) this one is way less aparent though, as you can see: the gold block and the dark prismarine block onlly look a little off together.

The colours in that other thing you said I can't rememer the name of I looked up on google are way different tones, all of them are really vibrant colours, none of them pastel as far as I saw

Well, that's what you think :p
  13. See, the thing is... after one week you're very likely to have grown accustomed to the looks of something and would probably not give it much thought afterwards (generally speaking).

But if it involves something you actually use (for example portals which lead somewhere) then you'll constantly be reminded about it. Especially, and this is the tricky one, when something doesn't fully work as it should.

Of course what works for me doesn't have to work for you.

One thing is for sure: your discussion definitely raised my curiosity for these outposts! :)
  14. To clarify from earlier, yes I did build this spawn originally. It was also seen/tweaked by devs and other ss members/Aikar before release. As to your comment about clashing colors, these builds are not created on a whim. Multiple color combinations were tried and I settled on this one. My reasoning, artistically speaking, is described below for those that want an elaborate description of what seems like it was an easy decision.

Cool colors represent safety and that's what the wastelands spawns are, a safety area. Prismarine, packed ice and quartz was already used in the previous design, so I decided to work from there as a base. Another cool color with a usable block was purpur. After working with the two together, I made the decision that they offer enough contrast to be usable. My design for the arch called for a stark contrast against the purple to look correct. Tried the other valuable blocks and they didn't give the pop we wanted. I therefore went with a warm color for strong contrast and used gold after trying out multiple. We tested with 1.13 textures as well for longevity.

Now, I get that you may be analyzing this color theory to an extent that I never anticipated, but this isn't a Picasso painting. These are blocks in a game with limited color variations in the non-wood/stone avenues. Therefore, we went with the blue-green, red-violet, and yellow-orange combination, which is actually a triad as mentioned before on the color wheel. The packed ice is a small variation from the white quartz when looked at as a whole, and supports the calm and safety feeling emotionally when on it. The gold outline contrast gives the imposing and official look from far away. When using a triad, you generally choose 2 to be base and a 3rd as an accent only.

See pretty picture of colors for reference with my awesome Paint skills:

As we do with every design and every decision, there are multiple aspects that go into our thought processes, some that you may have not thought about. Pretty much every decision (including promo creation) has a similar multi-part pro/con list, web research completed, winding path into the nether regions of my often sleep-addled and tea-driven brain before it's even close to final. Then it's vetted to select staff, depending on the decision category. Even the colors of the holograms were a multiple trial by error event (with varied indecision moments and sporadic ramblings to which Aikar even helped). Function and visibility were the fundamental parts of this redesign, which we definitely did a spot on job of with the help of amazing developers who worked to make some awesome code.

Now that's the extent of my color theory for this design for everyone's review (if you care about such a thing). If you don't like it, that's perfectly fine. I'm never going to expect everyone to like everything or else you are all clearly robot replacements and AI has taken over the world (joke). The staff that chimed in on the design, as well as myself, saw that it fit our purpose and so we went with it. If I seem defensive, it's not intended. There's a long process that goes into these decisions and I think it's good to reveal a little behind the scenes insight. Like I mentioned, as long as AI isn't completely in control, there are going to be at least some players that don't particularly enjoy the color choices.

Okay, so I rambled on enough. This concludes the behind-the-curtain session until next time!

TLDR: We make decisions. It's a long and complex process that involves sweet tea generally, random slack messages during irl work hours, and late night shifts on stage. Not everyone agrees with the final result. No harm and no foul regardless.
  15. Thanks for clearing that part up, because it does put the discussion into a bit more context (for an outsider like me at least). I was under the impression that the build team would also be heavily involved here.

Time for me to re-read :)
    We3_MPO likes this.
  16. More insight =)

This spawn was an admin build due to the driving reason behind the entire design being new player experience going into the summer. We recently changed some aspects of tutorial and I had already conducted multiple hours worth of stalking research of new players to determine hangups of the old design before even suggesting this change. The issues were then researched by looking into the way that other servers handled the same situation with spawn points for wild/resource worlds.

The culmination of this then went straight into design phase with a base of the top being small with easy view access to indicate the player could go down and it wasn't just a hub. Then I had the old design on it, but it didn't work well. Something just felt off. So I drank/chugged some sweet tea and spent a good 7 hours straight to make a mock-up and invited a build team member/SS (Eviltoade) to look at the design once almost done, fully expecting them to start changing all sorts of aspects of it. To my surprise, they actually liked it. Believe it or not, I'm actually a member of build team behind this purple! I've even built quite a bit of items that are still on the server.*shocker*

We discussed the items we aimed to address, made portals, and then I showed it to Aikar. The topic of creating reliable portals was brought up and by that time we had dev team involved and plenty of input and modifications from devs/SS/Aikar was given over the testing code change time that there was no need to consult the rest of build team on this particular project, as I knew a SS was consulting them about something else pending, and we had a finished spawn ready to go for release to fix new player issues ASAP.

So yeah, let me know if you want any more insight. It's actually interesting to write it all out as I think back on things that just come naturally now. I think that basically includes the entire decision process, with exception of the exact amount of sweet tea I ingested...
    luckycordel, We3_MPO and ShelLuser like this.
  17. Excuse me if I have horrible grammar, allergies are fogging me this morning.

I got a quick fly around, my emotions are mixed. I love the idea of the colors used, but I don't like how limited Minecraft is with those said colors.
    Then again, I'm not criticizing, I'm sure it'll grow on me. It's also that i'm so used to the old waste outpost design, when I was flying out to get packed ice and podzol...
    Good job to all involved.
    Tuqueque and We3_MPO like this.
  18. spawn block choices for the build are weird, displeasing to the eye but the build as a whole is cool.
    We3_MPO likes this.

19. I think it looks great!:D
  20. I think the new outposts look great as well! Thank you for all the hard work, EMC Staff!
    We3_MPO and ShelLuser like this.