[Warning] Admin flag = DANGER!

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by ShelLuser, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Thumbs up! It's nice to know that if your flags are default, your stuff/or economic hub, isn't messed with in nefarious ways.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  2. Just a foolish question... If she has the build flag, is she not able to destroy blocks? Can she not just destroy the chest, causing it to drop it's contents?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. No. On Alice's residence, I had only build, and when I accidentally placed a chest myself, I couldn't break it, because I didn't have the container flag. Same for hoppers and everything that you can store stuff in, probably.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  4. This should be in the new player guilds ;)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Nice. I had previously thought that giving build flag would risk someone destroying my chest where I have a couple of diamond supporter voucher. Thanks for explaining this would not be the case!
    607 likes this.
  6. More inspirational words from yours tuely, ShelLuser
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. Lol, when you say "yours, truly" you're referring to yourself :p
    ShelLuser likes this.
  8. Maybe i am him :confused:..... Jk
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. And a blatant bump for this one too. I consider this to be one of my better guides, so yeah...

As soon as I'm back I'll redo the flag guide (chest interface) because some stuff changed there in the mean time as well.
  10. This is good guide and one that not only every newbie should be directed too but also quite a few people who have been around long enough to know better. It may be more inconvenient to give the individual flags but you will save a great deal more in the long run by protecting your stuff.
    I never give out the admin flag and it makes me really uncomfortable when someone gives me that flag on their res.
    ShelLuser, MrsWishes and 607 like this.
  11. i learned this the hard way D: lost a good 1mil in promos no 1 u can trust
  12. I've been away for a bit now and was surprised to hear this was going on.
  13. The people that you can trust, don't want your admin flag. Go figure haha.
    MissFable, 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  14. When I see someone asking someone else for a admin flag in town chat (which is usually what happens). Those who want the admin flag, they'll make a statement like "Do /res pset [his playername] admin t", I'd be thinking "Uh oh..." I make this statement: "Don't give someone the admin flag unless you completely trust them! When you give someone the admin flag, you're basically giving them the keys to your residence!"

I try to make it absolutely clear. Admins can even set permissions for other players. I warn people when I see this about to happen. The admin flag was originally designed for those who use alt Minecraft accounts. I think I'd rather set specific permissions rather than setting the admin flag put everything on my residence at risk, simple.

Setting permissions are easier than you think too, you can set multiple flags at once, for instance if I wanted to set the build, use, and redstone flag "/res pset [playername] build,use,redstone t". I'd rather do that than give someone the admin flag like they're asking for to save me the trouble of setting those permissions. I am aware of the chest interface system but I'm still used to the old fashioned way.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  15. That is correct sir, you must have build and container in order to break a container.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. Im sorry to bump this but if you are admin on someones res and try do /res reset it will say "Only the owner of the residence can perform that command" . Its a problem for me in my situation as i have to bring my alt on to reset his res.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  17. First: I'm not sorry at all you did ;) I think this is one of my better guides and also an important one. So yeah ;) The only thing I'm sorry for is that I'm responding so late.

I can see where you're coming from but yeah; this is by design I think. An admin is a form of co-owner but there are limits to what they can do. This is basically a form of protection to ensure that admins cannot abuse their power too much.

Now, I'll also fully agree if you'd then counter-argue that admins can also tear down a build block by block, which would effectively result in the same thing. You'd be right but the blocks wouldn't be immediately lost.

It maybe a nuisance sometimes but I can't help think that it also helps protect your residence a bit.
    607 likes this.
  18. This is a good guide. Totally didn't see how this was posted in 2015...
    ShelLuser likes this.
  19. BUMP.

I hate bumping but I am going to bump this one every once in a while. This evening GRIP came across another example on SMP4: new player who gave the wrong person an admin flag and suffered for it. Fortunately not for too long because GRIP sometimes will intervene even if it is in town.

Even so, it once again reminded me that even with the awesome chest interface in place we still need to warn players about the (ab)use of the admin flag.

As such, le bump :)
    607 likes this.