Vote for the next new Minecraft mob

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by 607, Sep 28, 2020.

?

What mob do you reckon you'll vote on?

Iceologer 1 vote(s) 4.2%
Moobloom 12 vote(s) 50.0%
Glow Squid 11 vote(s) 45.8%
  1. Hi, it's me again!

What do you think? Honestly, I think they're all pretty tame. :p They're all variants of existing mobs, which seems not too creative. On the other hand, it means that we won't lose two unique ideas forever. :p (when this happened before, it was said that the other two mob ideas would not be implemented, and I assume this will be the case now too)
    I think the glow squid is my favourite out of these, though. :) They sound pretty fun. And I definitely do not fancy a hostile mob throwing me down mountains. I'm not a big fan of Illagers anyway, they're annoying. :p
  2. I'm really interested in the Glow Squid (which will probably recieve my vote).

As I have been digging lots of gravel on the ocean, it would be fun to see the squids just squidding around all glowy and stuff.

Also this will be my first minecraft mob vote! I don't know why people voted for the Phantom, it's a really annoying mob. >.<

Edit: I guess the glow squids only purpose would be just....being a cool moving light source? No idea. So I agree, the choices are kinda tame, lol.
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and luckycordel like this.
  3. I'm a bit disappointed with what has been selected, for us to vote on. As 607 said "They're all variants of existing mobs"
    I do like the Glow Squid. But we do have a lot of life in rivers and oceans now.
    The Iceologer I feel would be annoying. At the same time the ice biomes could use more unique mobs.
    The Moobloom is nice due to it's interaction with bees.
    I wish they would give us some unique mobs hostile or not in biomes that are lacking. Anyways I'll take what I can get, it's better then nothing.:D
    Nickblockmaster, sonicol and 607 like this.
  4. I guess "The Cave Update" is out of the question and we're voting for another mob, yet again. Isn't that right Mojang? :\
    Nickblockmaster and luckycordel like this.
  5. I'm not Mojang, but I can say that that is not right. The Phantom was added in 1.13, the Update Aquatic. Phantoms have nothing to do with the ocean whatsoever, as far as I know. So these mobs do not influence whether or not a cave update is coming up.
    Nickblockmaster and luckycordel like this.
  6. None of them really get me excited. My least favorite is the iceologer though. I'd probably never even see one in game.
  7. The Moobloom is cute. For that reason alone, it has my vote. :)
  8. This is a repost from my status update because I had no idea this thread existed. Thank you 607 for pointing it out (and making this thread)!

My thoughts on the new mobs based on what we know: The Moobloom seems like another generic passive cow, the Iceologer is yet another pillager, but sounds like it could be different enough to diversify it, and the Glow Squid sounds trippy. (more thoughts in status comments)

First, the Moobloom. It honestly sounds boring. I love the look of flower forest biomes and a mob exclusive to those biomes would definitely make them even more interesting, although another cow? It seems like it will just me a Mooshroom with flowers instead of mushrooms. Why couldn't they have a flower deer, sort of like the creepy deer from Annihilation (2018)?

Second, the Iceologer. The illager mobs feel like they were necessary to expand the livelihood of the Minecraft world. Although, now we have pillagers, evokers, indicators, witches, and illusioners. While the powers and regions of the Iceologer sound awesome, everything else seems a bit too generic. Nonetheless it will work well with the voted changes to the mountain biome

Lastly, the Glow Squid. Like with the Moobloom, I question why it has to be a rehash of an old mob. Why couldn't it be, idk, an octopus or some other sea creature? However, the teaser video makes the mob look hypnotic, and I feel like it could add a mystic feel to the oceans

Unless we get any more information, I think I will be directing my vote to the Glow Squid. I wish these mobs were a bit more creative in design, but the Glow Squid just sounds like the most original idea to me. Also, having an underwater outpost sort of makes me want the Glow Squids even more
  9. I am mixed on the moobloom and the glow squid for sure. But I will vote glow squid for it looks super cool.
  10. I agree with you. I wonder if they didn't have time to invent better mobs, or if they didn't want to because two out of three ideas will be abandoned. I am honestly leaning towards the former, because apparently all three mobs are mobs from other Minecraft games.

I watched the three separate videos just now (they're on the Minecraft YouTube channel), and now I'm leaning towards the Moobloom. I think the Glow Squid colours are too boring. Why is it dark blue with light blue sparkles, if there's so much blue in the ocean already? :p They could've made 'em yellow, or green, or pink, or, even better, having colour variants. :D
    Nickblockmaster and DaybreakerMC like this.
  11. I have a feeling these mobs will just be a small implementation in a coming update. Similar to how, as you mentioned before, the Phantoms were a part of the greater Aquatic Update. I don't think they intend to put much focus on these mobs to be honest. They just seem like a way to keep up player engagement (which is quite smart).

Which brings me to this post. Last year we voted on a biome to update (which hasn't been implemented yet), and at that time Mojang announced the massive Nether update. I personally believe a Cave Update is coming (thanks to the layered biome changes 1.16 made), and I think we will hear about it this weekend. The mob we choose will likely just be a small part of that greater update. Although, I don't think we'll get the Cave Update right away.

Here's my prediction, and hold me to it if I'm wrong:
    1.17 (Q1/2 2021) - Mountain update (as we voted last year). It will be smaller and focus around overhauling the mountain regions. If Iceologer wins, it would be implemented here, alongside other mobs (because I can't imagine Iceologer losing and then no mountain mobs being added with the update. Another reason not to vote for it).

1.18 (Q3/4 2021) - Cave Update. The massive overhaul we've all been asking for. I guess that's all I have to predict but maybe we'll get new dungeons, ores, and even cave-exclusive mobs. I just think this update is coming, and I expect it will be 1.18.

I agree here. I'll probably use a texture pack to make it more interesting (that might be the only texture the pack changes). I have to hold out hope that, at some point in the future, more is done with whatever mob is added. I could imagine the Glow Squid being used as a lure to distract players (or ocean mobs) from a greater threat. Like bait for a Kraken or something. I can only hope
    Nickblockmaster and 607 like this.
  12. I looked at the mobs we could vote on during that event, again, and, especially considering that Phantoms seem disliked by many, I think I would rather have had the underwater squid hostile mob. :p It actually lost in the first round, though.
  13. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Nickblockmaster, DaybreakerMC and 607 like this.
  14. I'll vote for the moobloom. I want a non hostiile mob for once.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  15. Honestly all 3 of the choices are horrible. Give us something new, not another illager or another cow or another squid that has been retextured. How about creating another boss? We haven't had one of those since 1.4. At least create something that hasn't been taken from another version of the game. Each game should have mobs that make them unique. Why play more than one version if you are going to encounter the same mobs in all of them.
  16. I don't understand these votes personally, they are almost always added to the game to either be hated (Phantoms) or just outright forgotten/useless mobs. I'm all for ambience and diversity, but I believe everything in the game should have some kind or purpose. Foxes, while cute, aren't actually useful to the player. Pandas are the same way. We voted last year for Goats and they have still yet to be put in and I don't foresee them serving any kind of purpose like llamas. Llamas are the closest thing we have to a useful mob added in the recent updates. If these mobs added some kind of unique drop or new method of obtaining items I would be excited. I hoped that they would elaborate on what they actually do rather than just say, "Here's a squid, and it glows!" Make it drop luminescent ink that can make underwater torches or something. Moobloom can pollinate crops like bees and give Suspicious Stew when "bowled". Iceologer (Chillager) should be a Mage like pillager that can be a renewable method of packed/blue ice without mining. I feel if these mobs just gave a simple but unique quirk I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about it. But at the moment I am severely disappointed.

BTW: of the three, I vote Moobloom.
    TomvanWijnen, 607 and Nickblockmaster like this.
  17. But the Glow Squid isn't hostile either. ;)

18. You can vote now!
    We only get 20 minutes for it, so it's really remarkable that I found out about it during the time period, as I am not watching any of the event. :p Vote here: https://twitter.com/Minecraft/status/1312432010431016960 Iceologer and Glow Squid are quite close together, but Moobloom is a little bit behind, unfortunately. I assume there won't be another round this time?
    sonicol likes this.
  19. #TeamMooBloom
  20. Sad to say that Glow Squid won...
    607 likes this.