[themes of atheism] I have had an awful day. [Closed]

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 72Volt, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Most definitely, if you enjoyed it. :)

This entire thread has me quite impressed with our younger members who have the maturity to debate such issues without getting out of hand. Bravo. /not sarcasm
    607, jkjkjk182, M4nic_M1ner and 3 others like this.
  2. :) thanks (darn it doesn't show... )http://empireminecraft.com/members/equinox_boss.4376/ :p
  3. Need a sentry here!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  4. With all this heat I'm surprised no one made a spa yet...(saddest several seconds in minecraft history)
    But AmusedStew made a point in his/her/it post of the Spoiler "Open at your own risk" If it's something that you know you're not going to like, common sense says leave it alone. If you dislike someone's opinion...well then you dislike it. Period. All that other nonsense is not necessary.

EDIT: Fail on posting Xbox achievement image
    Equinox_Boss and PandasEatRamen like this.
  5. Well, I was going to send a reply, but I kind of messed up posting it. It was really long, so let me just sum it up.
    1. I feel for you. School sucks. Teachers can be frustrating. Especially if you're smart.
    2. You need to sincerely apologize, even if you don't feel you should have to. (But come on, there's no way you called someone 'matriarch of cupcake' without at least a hint of rudeness ;)) Sincerely apologizing will earn you respect and credibility. After that, the principal will be more likely to listen to what you have to say.
    3. Respect your parents and patiently try to explain your feelings to them. The punishments at least shows that they care, so help them do their job.
    4. If you read this before school tomorrow, then good luck talking with the principle.
  6. I have very little I can say here without being legitimately angry.

You go to a christian school, 72volt. You can't expect everyone to abandon their views just because you don't agree with them, and as you stated... you're pretty much alone. You're doing exactly what you don't like: forcing your views upon others regardless of their personal beliefs.

I do respect you for how much you have grown as a person during your time on EMC, understand that. I just can't side with you on this.
    607, ninjaboy5656, cddm95ace and 15 others like this.
  7. Over here in the UK we really don't have a choice what schools we go to, My sister personally HAS to go a christian school, She didn't want to go there - but it's either that or get no education.
  8. When I was in high school, I got into an argument with a teacher. I had a constant stream of horrible teachers in what is the US public school system. The teacher that finally pushed me over the edge was one who insisted that we watch a completely stupid show called "Fear Factor" at least once a week in class. The rest of our time was filled with busy work and other crap. I finally stood up one day and said I was done, and would not do any more of her busy work. I got sent to the principals office where I was told (by a principal whom I had known very well since early elementary school) that I "had to get along with my teachers". When I got home, my teacher had called my mother crying, so I was in trouble there as well. My punishment was being grounded until I apologized to the teacher. I was grounded for 4 months. While my mother agreed with my cause - she insisted that I learn this very simple lesson - Teachers are in charge at school - just like managers are in charge later on in a work environment, It doesn't matter how stupid you think they are - you have to do as they say. I can not say this is something I believe even now. (although the work part is mostly true if you want to keep your job)

The point is, how you protest matters. My protests made me miserable, and had no impact on anything. Think of all the great protesters in life. They are either known for being horrible at it - (Ahh our dearest brother Phelps - May his spirit find the peace that he so denies to others. On a rather unrelated note - I have personally been part of an event that was protested by these people. Phelps is a sad, sad old man. I feel nothing but pity for him, despite the stomach churning rants he and his people spew.) Or being incredibly great. ( Think "I have a dream"). It is important to go about it in the correct manner. No matter what you are protesting. Ranting at the Christians & christian policies in your school is not the way to go. The best advise I can give you is to take your punishments now - get yourself out of the hole you have dug. It is hard to protest from holes. No one in your school has the ability to change the policies.

You need to think bigger. You should do some work online. I bet there are groups that you can join up with who have similar goals to yours. Get involved with people who share your goals. It is hard to effect change as one person. Many can make a lot more noise.

Do more research. Who is it exactly that you should be aiming your protests at? Who can make the changes you want? Be patient.

Be patient. Large change takes time. Don't expect to see change before you exit school. Most people hate change and are very resistant to it. But if you really care for this issue you will push for it no matter how long it takes.
  9. When i went to school (i graduated a year ago) i didn't give a two cents about religion or what the Christian Club was doing i cared about learning and my grades. Apparently that has changed and people think "OMerrguuurd dis is A ReLIgiuous ScHOOl I CAnT LeuRN Here i dunt believe in dis stuff!"

Yeah some of you may not have a choice where you get to go, heck i didnt. i didnt care i just wanted to get an education, I made the best of my time there studying made honor graduate ect...

There are millions of people out there that have never stepped foot in a school and wish they could.

And if you go to a religious school you cant really change that now can you? Its called a religious school for a reason. I think you should make the best of it and get an education.

Im not saying give in and do what they do but you can at least respect what the school is bound by. I dont walk in a Mosque and disrespect them by doing Christian stuff. When i was invited to a Catholic church for a sunday I respected them by following their ways and what they believe but that did not mean i agreed with them it just meant i was respectful.

I live about 35 mins from a Christian private school, ive been their many times. Every morning, every lunch hour, and at the end of the day they say a prayer. They invited my highschool college classes to come numerous times to study with them on Saturdays, I prayed with them because it was the right thing to do and i was invited into their place.

What im trying to say is, Be respectful. Be Happy you actually get to go to a school. Just because you have to do something you dont like because its religious does not mean you HAVE to believe in God.

Im pretty sure all those years i went to the Christain club of my High school just to get a donut and a juice because i couldnt afford breakfast does not mean im Christian.
    cddm95ace, Equinox_Boss and Lasluin like this.
  10. My side of this: I am fine with all religions and try as hard as possible not to offend them. Most religions are respectable back and don't try to force religion on you. Part of my family is so christian that my sister said "omg" and one of them scolded her for 5 minutes that its really disrespectful to use gods name like that. Then we got Christmas presents from them and we all got books or movies. EDIT*: accidently posted before finished
    Everything had to do with being christian and i thought my book was going to be better since it was about basketball... WRONG!

Well back to your case. In The US the only people that can force religion are your parents until you are the age of 18. You may show dislike about it and maybe your parents won't force you. If you are in a catholic school you might have to deal with it a bit. Maybe your parents could get the principal to give you permission to do something else during religious outbreaks.

The best option... Become a homeschooler!!! I'm a home schooler and it is alot better than going to school :p you can learn at your pace, eat when you want, go to the bathroom without waiting forever for a teacher to give you permission! Still make new friends(not as many as in school).

Oh yeah if you don't want to ever give up fighting for your rights(like i would).
    Wreck stuff up!
  11. Why do you go to a Christian school? Is it your parents wish? Is it a public school or private?

Where I live, public school can not have an "official" religion, only private schools can, and even most of the private Christian schools have alternative program for non-Christians, some even have Islam classes etc.

I have no idea about the social structures at your school, but I'd expect that there is a connection between presenting oneself as radical Christian and petty bourgeois, limited spirit and mind set.
    (BTW, anything radical, closed-minded and intolerant is actually opposite of Christian teachings.)

If you're criticizing religion and religious practices, I (Christian myself), encourage you to do so. Keep asking "why?". Get to the core of it as good as you can.

If you're criticizing closed-mindedness, intolerance, limited reach, ignorance etc. - you will find yourself fighting against petty bourgeois mob.
    It's not worth it.
    You will waste your energy and achieve nothing.

Better invest you energy into showing people the benefits and ways of democracy and human rights, show through example that authoritarian system is ... cheap, substandard, inferior ... :)
    cddm95ace likes this.
  12. The amount of anarchy in my bloodstream is way too high now (I have been reading The Invisibles); that being said, if you don't feel like apologizing then don't. Don't apologize because the Man wants you to. Doing this may cause you some suffering; but sometimes statements need to be made, and sometimes making those statements will cause bad things.
  13. I have to disagree. One kid getting in trouble will change nothing. If that kid were to focus his efforts on larger scale project, he could make a difference.

If the cause is his real objective - it is better to avoid this fight and move on to things that will have an impact.

If his objective is, instead, led by simple stubbornness and pride, he will end up in trouble and making no difference at all.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  14. This is why I am happy I don't go to a religious school, My school doesn't really have a religion. I still learn RS (Which I and others think is pointless, just my opinion) There is a catholic school in my area and its known to be a 'better' school just because its catholic, this is completely untrue as my school is just as good as theirs.
  15. i feel a rant coming on.
  16. avoiding fights is stupid, personally i would stand by my beliefs (but i got thrown out of my house when i was 17 so maybe not the best idea for you)
    as long as you arent proselytizing i dont see why there is evern a problem with this. in america we have freedom from religion for two reasons, one: to protect people from religions and two to protect religions from people sounds like you need a case of the former. i think you should stick to your guns and tell your parents straight off you do not agree with or condone their religious choices and if they want to allow your education to suffer due to their poor choices then that is their prerogative however you will not be abandoning your beliefs anymore then you expect them to abandon their own. thus a stalemate exists. your move mom and dad
  17. If they would move to a more liberal country, like the United States of America, then he would have a chance at freedom of religion...
  18. As the Young Adult in this scenario. You NEED to have respect for your elders. You can try to deny things that contradict your beliefs, but DON'T disrespect others.
  19. Quite incorrect. It's not to protect people from religion, it's to protect people from other people. The ideals of Christianity are sound and there really isn't anything that is morally wrong (though atheists can't believe in morality technically). Don't get mad at religion, get mad at the fact that you were introduced to it by people who aren't adequate enough to introduce it to you.
    cddm95ace and M4nic_M1ner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.