The town is growing!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Krysyy, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopefully, I don't lose my 2000 smp1 address soon, or I'd be sad and upset in many different ways.
    EfficiencyV likes this.
  2. What about adding the ring of grass before adding the ring of reses?
    Streets can still connect.

So as of now, you are saying staff will not do anything about how they are affecting corner res owners.
    If so, town Corner and edge reses are no longer worth any more than a normal res.
    Locations people worked hard for and paid for are now pointless.

I bet if staff moved spawn reses away from spawn, people would be upset and staff would help them somehow, rather than do nothing. Please do Something for town corner res owners.
    Standsinlava and Uber_Corq like this.
  3. Keep up the good work smp4.
  4. I will talk to Aikar about adding the ring of grass, but it will look very strange and I'm not promising that we will do it. Some players aren't upset about the corners solely because of the lack of neighbors. Some want the corner to simply say they are the nw, etc corner of town, which they wouldn't be, even with a ring of grass.

On a side note, another suggestion brought forth was to make the town one big circle, creating a lot of 'corner' residences, but not technically having a real corner. The fact of the matter is that no matter what we do, someone is not going to be happy about it. However, the decision still has to be made and currently the decision is to add the next box ring around the edge of spawn, following the same pattern laid out by the predecessor (as wonky as the numbering system is).
    Damiensmom11, jkjkjk182 and ShelLuser like this.
  5. Thanks! That really helped!! :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  6. I doubt that would be an option either because the Town world is basically one huge town in itself. So my guess is that the intent is fully aimed at expanding the town while not making too much changes to the overall design (no offense, I'm referring to the way the town is laid out, not the changes itself).

Then I think you should also keep jkjk's earlier comment in mind; this involves more players besides yourself, which is also important. These include the hopefully upcoming new players who will be claiming those new residences.

First of all I realize that its very easy for me to talk about this because it doesn't directly involve me, and I can also fully understand your frustrations.

But is one residence really any more special than the other?

I suppose one could argue that the residences around the town spawn areas could be in higher demand, mainly because you can easily get there from the town spawn. But in the end even those are not that much more special in my opinion. I mean; when I travel across town (on either server) I'm either using /v to teleport or I ride my trusty steed. I hardly visit the town spawns these days, so its not as if I would visit those "spawn residences" more often than any other.

And basically the same applies here I think, to some degree anyway.

The main problem is that this is a cosmetic issue, but as Kryssy mentioned earlier; the problem that your surroundings can drastically change is something which can happen to everyone.

Believe me: I speak from some experience. I've claimed a "vacation resort" on smp5 with the idea to keep the build a little low and "blended in". It has a pool, will have some small houses, and I even build a mock road. When I claimed it I had low grassland areas all around me. Then some of my neighbors started to build :D

My point is: in this case no player is any more special than the other, so in the end we all have to keep in mind that the only thing which we can be fairly sure of is that whatever we've build on our residence(s) is ours and will remain ours. But what happens in the surrounding areas is really not up to us (unless you own that residence of course).

If you want more control over the way your surrounding environment looks then it might be worth to consider exploring the Frontier. Although it also comes with disadvantages the major advantage is that you will have full control over your surroundings and can fully determine what is to happen and what not.

You mean if they would move the town spawn to another area.

Well, your guess is as good as mine but in the unlikely event where this would happen then I would be very surprised if they did. When looking at smp2 (just as an example) then I'm sure that some structures around spawn would be moved, simply because some of those structures are owned by senior staff members in the first place.

But any other? I personally doubt it. Its my impression that if there's one thing which EMC tries hard to avoid its upholding double standards. But, as said, that's just my impression of the thing.

I know this post doesn't help you in any way.

But I do think its also important to keep in mind that this problem affects more players besides yourself.
    jkjkjk182 and SoulPunisher like this.
  7. Oh well,
    At least jkjkjk182 will be happy,
    even though he does not own a corner res.

And that is all that matters, right.

Can one res be more special than another?
    Absolutely
    Have you seen res 108 is going for over 2 million rupees!
    But whatever value corner reses had, that value is now gone.

I am glad staff tells us and listens, thank you, even though I don't get my way, I understand.

I will now just accept and deal with it, to make jkjkjk182 happy.
    ShelLuser and Standsinlava like this.
  8. Um, I don't at all agree. To start off, the point of the Empire is for everyone to be happy as a community and not as the owner of a corner residence. I agree that this is bad for the owners of corner residences, although to give the current owners of corner residences a new corner residence is slightly extreme. Perhaps, as jkjkjk said, a slight temporary reduction in price for a residence move would do. But I agree with jkjkjk in the sense that to have only certain people move is slightly extreme for the situation being.
    jkjkjk182 and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  9. This is truly unbelievable. I just can't wrap my head around the way you guys think. You care more about how many people you can get to log on for 5 minutes to make your numbers look good than actually keeping people happy who want to be regular players.

... I'm not sure why this continues to surprise me... Fool me once ...

This doesn't just effect 4 people per smp. It effects everyone on the edge.

There are plenty of empty residences out there not in use but unclaimable. Fix your system. This is such a lazy way to fix the problem. Fix the freaking problem instead of strapping a freaking band aid on it.

This isn't going to solve the problem in the long run. These plots are going to be just as poorly processed as the old ones. It isn't fixing a damn thing. Do it right, or just leave it alone.
  10. why dont you make new smp's and a utopia for gold and a utopia for diamond?
  11. Servers cost money. It's easier to just expand the Town worlds we already have. :)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  12. Just because you see only grass on a residence doesn't automatically mean that it's unused. For all we know the owner could have build a huge underground storage area, or maybe the owner likes to walk around on a grass area.

One of the things which makes Empire popular is that you can basically do whatever you want on your residence, without any staff members telling you that "you need to build otherwise you don't deserve a residence".

Because in a way this is what you're suggesting. And I'm not too sure that many people would like to join a server where building something "nice" has become a mandatory task.

I don't think anyone but the senior staff can make such assessments.

Unless we know exactly how many players join the Empire each week and how many go derelict then it's impossible to determine if this does or doesn't help.

But if you don't mind me asking; what would you consider "doing it right"?
    crystaldragon13 and cadenman2002 like this.
  13. Take the number of people NOT living on the edge. Compare that to the number of people living on the edge. How many people are not affected? Far more.

It does not surprise me at all that they are expanding the town because we are an expanding the community. If you want to complain about it, then that is a situation that we can't fix. As I said in my last post, perhaps they could lower the price of a res move temporarily, but if you're trying to say that they should move everyone on the edge of every smp a res move, then I totally disagree. Perhaps you could clarify what you're trying to get at here for me? :)
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  14. Even if what you said is true, and it mostly isn't (I suspect your accusations are primarily driven out of anger), the new plots will provide plenty of new room for new players and old alike. It's not about getting the plots to be used better, it's about making more room to claim. Besides, I'm not quite sure what's so special about an edge residence. A corner I might understand, but I don't think the edges are worth this fight.
    And I think, Standsinlava, you'd be surprised as to how many people either build underground or, as Shell said, just like to chat and have an area to run around in a circle on. It might seem ridiculous to you, but these circle-runners are likely some of the people that keep are chat more alive than anyone. As JackBiggin once said, "running around the Town Spawn is the EMC national sport."
    Just curiously, I've heard that the cap was lowered to 40 due to lag reasons, but have we stabilized enough to move back to 60? I don't think anybody was ever kicked with the 60 cap, but servers fill up all the time with 40, and I personally haven't experienced any less lag (though that could be because I've never really had any to begin with).
    crystaldragon13 and ShelLuser like this.
  15. I come here for admittedly selfish reasons, being the owner of all four smp2 corner residences, so rather than state my opinion and start arguing, I will merely state a couple facts, for your consideration.

Fact 1: No one who was part of the discussion that led to this change owns a corner/edge residence.

Fact 2: Six hours before posting this thread, an admin auction thread was posted for residence 108, which is currently going for 2.6 million rupees, valued so highly due to its location. (Let's not forget the first 3 rules of real estate: location, location, location.) The auction is hosted by the admins - the very same admins who decided to devalue the current corner/edge residences - so they clearly recognize the value of residence location.

And then here's the definition of a double standard:
    - a situation in which two people, groups, etc., are treated very differently from each other in a way that is unfair to one of them

I'm not even asking for something else to be done instead; I just want to try to wake up those people who don't think there's any problem here.
  16. Spend some time walking around town guys, this isn't about people who are actively playing. This is about residences that are being occupied by players who aren't coming online.

Adding more plots is going to help for a couple weeks, maybe. Then it is going to be the same problem.

Its as simple as having all these fancy new mods. (more mods than the empire has ever had before) spend a few minutes here and there cleaning up internal plots that are not actually in use. It is as simple as defining a new way to handle dereliction. Because it is clearly not working out. Spend some time out there looking at other residences. I do it often. There are so so many that are claimed but by people who aren't playing any longer on the empire.
  17. =) Thank you for this.
  18. I don't think we should, it would be extra confusing when we add the Empires expansion (new name for Outposts). New People already ask "hw do I ad ppl 2 my empire?"
  19. This will be a great move for the Empire, nice ideas Krystal! Can't wait to see it in action.
    pascal1881 likes this.
  20. This is great news! The empire is growing!

I have a little question: will the res number that people have now change? Or will they be the same?
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.