The town is growing!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Krysyy, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I only wish that another town on the same SMP will someday happen so that "A Tale of Two Cities" could be relevant.

Edit:Has a second town been included in the choices?
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.
  2. Would be allot of trouble to start another smp. Would have to start another world for it and every thing.
  3. Another town, not another SMP5. It would just require an alteration to the residence address system and a copy of the base town template.
  4. I honestly think we should settle the argument at hand with one simple sentence that Krysyy has already stated multiple times:

This is happening.

There's no two ways about it. No matter how much you complain, Krysyy has stated many times that the final decision as to what is happening is that the town will remain square with extra residences added to the outside of the town in the same format as the original town plan. I really see no reason to continue arguing, as Krysyy has already 1) reserved the corner residences for previous corner dwellers and 2) discounted the price of residence moves for everyone and not just certain people. I think that this is totally fair, and that the argument should be settled with the fact that Krysyy has already stated what is going on.

Thanks,
    Caden
  5. Like I said before: I left EMC due to personal reasons, and ICC geting demoted and all that BS happened to occur around the time of my departure.

And this has already got personal. So cut the BS. I gave my opinion. Let's leave it at that.
  6. No one was making this personal. You only one here making it personal with off-topic replies saying that Emc community is skeleton of itself and how selfish we have become. That late statement is very insulting towards everyone here and you are very lucky that only jk and I respond to you in a Mild manner because I know at least 3/4th of people following,commenting or just watching this thread wanted to give a ear full what they think of your comment but they are respectful and knew it was best to ignore it.
  7. I'm all up for an ear full. I'm not go into censor my opinion to please other. I never intended to make this a flamming war, but when someone accuses me of something, like you accusing me of try into start a flamming war, then I will retaliate
  8. Commendable, but when a mod is saying it's "best to ignore it," that's generally a sign the matter should drop. Don't confuse censorship with self-restraint.

If you have sense, no you will not. At least not publicly, and certainly not here in this thread - this is neither the time nor the place for it and that argument long since died. There's no reason to go dredging up bad blood now.

ON A HAPPIER NOTE:
    I would love-love-LOVE to see this happen. Adding a new square-ring is a stopgap that'll help "for now," but certainly isn't a solution in the long term.
    Krysyy, any chance we can get a public thread going on suggestions & input for a new / secondary town map? I have some ideas personally I think would work pretty well, but I don't think this is the thread for that either.

EDIT: Perhaps we can start with "/city" if that's not going to be too confusing.
  9. Actually, we don't want to blame anyone for starting any kind of war. We just don't want any conflict to be created and we like to settle the conflict early before it turns in to something much bigger, and this is simply the community trying to do so. :)
  10. I didn't say your trying to start a flame war in this thread just yourncomment was very disrespectful towards everyone but at this point you trying to make it a "flame war." So I be better person here and won't reply to you after this mesaage so you can have the last word. Okay okay
  11. I would like to apologize to the community for my sudden outbursts. It will not happen again :(
  12. Shall we, as community, accept any "final" solutions that are suboptimal?
    Shall we accept any suboptimal decision making process or any bureaucratic "us vs. them" approach?
    Does the majority here really think that it is better to have a less good solution that is about equally less good for everyone and thus kind of "fair" than a solution that is better overall for the community?
    Without comments?
    What kind of community would that be?

Adding extra residences to support the derelict policy: very good
    Just repeat the pattern: suboptimal
    Approach, decision making and policy making process: bureaucratic, suboptimal
  13. I probably don't have much reason to post here as I just came back from a short break and have little to no idea whats going on, but after reading through this thread I've managed to deduct that the staff are adding another ring of reses to the outside of town on every SMP. Granted this is an amazing idea to allow expansion without financial costs. However...

I seem to be more attracted to this idea more, not saying I hate the ring expansion, but this idea appeals to me more. As a middle-aged EMC player I'd like to think that another town would allow for even more expansion than a ring or two. Also I don't believe it would do much harm to the server (unless it would put a strain on the network).

I feel the rings are band-aid to a gunshot wound, it will only slow it for so long. I've been back less than 2 days and I've already seen 20-30 people join EMC. That's quite a bit, and this is only from SMP5, 9, and 6. There's bound to be WAY more. I'm just saying, I commend the Staff for tackling an issue in a logical way, but here's an idea that will give us our cake, and eat it too. :)
  14. Thank you staff for the move discount.

Just a caution to those considering a move, if you have villagers that you really like, the res move will break them...

"Entities on the res will be copied but will lose any additional data (all villagers become standard villager, sheep lose colour, horses stats and colour are reset). Some entities may not copy. It is best to eggify all entities before the service is requested."

More info in this res move wiki link...

http://empireminecraft.com/wiki/senior-staff-services/#whole-res-to-res-move

In some cases, villager trades may be more important to you, than keeping your edge res.
  15. Apology accepted. At least from my end. Like I said before we are a community, no matter how lively the discussion gets. Now lets all take a deep breath and share a giant, polite, hands where they need to be, group hug.
  16. I blame your browser/interweb connection. :p Mine did that too while I was having general issues, not just EMC.
  17. Just wanted to say as an edge resident, I appreciate this offer. I'll probably just claim the edge beside me also, but this is still incredibly generous of you.
  18. Near as I can tell the EMC staff is paying attention to the various ideas and is also trying to respond to an immediate need. As indicated in prior messages to do this they had to make changes sooner than even they wanted. This means there is less than optimal time for discussion, as well implementation.

When a business makes an operating decision like this and informs their customer base about it, and offers some concessions for the inconvenience, then I say it's "good enough for now." It's highly ethical, responsible, and all sorts of other -ibles, but not perfect. Instead of railing against the reality of now, let's discuss options for the future. The only way we, as the community, can reject what is happening now, is to leave. I won't be leaving EMC any time soon.

While I understand the concerns of the affected, as a home owner in real life, I can tell you that you won't ever have the level of control that is being asked for, and to a small degree granted, here on EMC.

Just like real life property/plot values will rise and fall based on other things that happen in the community. This is because the property itself isn't what is being bought, it's the proximity to all the stuff around it, or lack thereof. Since you only have control over what is on your property, you will never control that which is not; a concept that seems common sense to me.

So my advice to those upset with that part of reality is: accept it, learn from it, and plan accordingly.

Part of learn is pay attention to the "whys" offered. Part of plan accordingly is to engage the decision makers before the next expansion. Get involved in detailed discussion on how to appeal to the most number of players, not just the players who are most impacted. Unlike city councils EMC has a very flexible format and is very engaged with pretty much everyone, regardless of background. This is an asset to use wisely.
    crystaldragon13 and M4nic_M1ner like this.
  19. Perhaps it could detect empty and almost empty residences and otherwise estimate a "value" of residences:

- make a list of residences that are candidates for automatic unclaiming
    - calculate the value of the residences and sort the list according to the value
    - unclaim starting with the lowest value until the target number of free residences is reached
    - if a set threshold value is reached, then don't unclaim automatically but alert admin to manually inspect the rest of the list and decide if and how many residences need to be added to the town

Some factors that play role when calculating value (this needs careful consideration and weighting):
    - days since the player joined
    - count of active days within last few months
    - average activity of that player (count of days with login / total days since joined)
    - count of supportership months
    - if the player has a forum account, perhaps forum activity
    - count of blocks on the res not including dirt (an empty res gets on the top of the list)
    - estimated value of the blocks on the res (delete dirt pyramid before deleting diamond pyramid)
    - ratio of the estimated res value vs. days since joined (or vs. count of days with login)

All of those factors would be parameters to non-linear functions.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask the player if possible - if there is an e-mail address, send a message with a link, something like "click here if you plan to actively use your residences in the town of ,,,"

The goal is obviously to first delete / unclaim residences of players that likely won't come back and/or likely won't mind because there was nothing of value on that res anyway. For residences with high value to avoid automatic unclaiming but rather produce an alert.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.