The redstone thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Egeau, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Red is said to be the color of love and other stuff, so obviously a redstone thread is deserving of a little extra :)

SO lets start with something I copied from Youtube and I think looks amazing. I only rebuild one section, then used a structure block to add another. Why build if you can copy, right? ;)

Sine waves in Minecraft :cool:

But redstone... Lets target all the readers out there...

Some things you might not have known about Redstone

#1 The smallest redstone circuit

A door and a button (or a pressure plate) is actually the smallest redstone circuit there is. The button powers the block it's attached to, and that makes the door open and close.

#2 Transparent blocks behave as insulators

Transparent ("non-opaque") blocks cannot hold a redstone charge, which makes them ideal to be used as insulators or a simple separation between circuits.

#3 Slabs can transport a signal upwards, but not downwards

Although a slab is a non-opaque block it can actually be invaluable when working with redstone, and here's one of the reasons. The signal goes up the slabs and powers the lamp on top, but it won't go back down to the ground.

#4 Strongly powered doesn't imply a strong (15) charge

We refer to strongly powered blocks when they get their redstone charge directly from a redstone source such as a torch, button, repeater, etc. Because most of these send out a maximum charge of 15 it's often assumed that strongly charged also means a strong signal. This block is strongly charged (that's why the redstone underneath gets powered) but the charge doesn't reach more than 3 blocks.

#5 Command blocks can generate a redstone charge as well

But prepare for some serious output spam! :eek:

In this example I used the /testfor @e[type=Villager] command, which tests for the existence of villagers within my (loaded) world. As you can see there were 5 around when I set up this command block.

#6 Villagers are interested in redstone

'nough said :D
    607 and Jelle68 like this.

2. I've been working on plans for this design a few weeks ago and this evening I decided to try and work out the draft. I'm still in the process of testing this (as such the changed scoreboard, no more player based scores (sort off)) but so far so good. I did notice one small caveat: sometimes one part of the drop doesn't make it into the water but falls on the ground. I don't think there's much you can do about that, but I am experimenting with using delays (repeaters) to slow the observer blocks signals.

Items required for building (I'll be sharing a more detailed guide later when I'm rebuilding this on my residence):
    • 2 stacks of building blocks
    • 2 water buckets
    • 2 hoppers
    • 2 chests (1 DC)
    • 16 (coarse) dirt
    • 16 sugar cane
    • 16 observer blocks
    • 16 pistons
    • 16 repeaters
    • 16 redstone dust
    607 likes this.
  3. Would there happen to be any tutorials to make automatic doors...?
    Not just you.
    AncientTower likes this.
  4. pressureplates
    607, lottie1664 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  5. I mean, on the old 10314 (the good old days *reminisces*), my in-game friend, who went derelict, made me an automatic door which used pistons.
    There were no doors involved, and I just wanted to see if anyone else knew how to make these and wants to take on the challenge of showing me, in baby steps :I, how to make one.
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  6. I can do that :) I think I even made such a thing for AussieZaid once (/v aussiezaid on smp2). Tutorial or in-game step by step building instructions?

Or both? :eek:
    607 likes this.
  7. Eeh... as you can see on my redstone world, there are toms of different designes you can use, you can see all the ones I have at my posts, you may just build it them :)
    (by the look of thing I haven't got that many going on, I haven't got any "normal" doors going on, about everything is flush or a hidden staircase or a vault door)

And, thanks to the ninja PETER!
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  8. I can make you one for free if you want to.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. Hmm...
    Both..?
    Maybe type up the instructions and if I don't get it you can show me :I
    ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  10. I don't have anything to showcase as I don't build actively, but I can build anything as long as it has a tutorial :D without a tutorial, :confused:

With repeaters and dust and comparators, e-z p-z. I don't grasp how these things all interact with each other and the surrounding blocks.
  11. May I present you: your own personal guide ;)

Of course I did take the liberty of sharing this with the community as well, but this guide was specifically written for you :)
  12. So I'm around a player outpost far in the Frontier. And for sure: "The easiest way to go back to town is to put your stuff into an enderchest and kill yourself". Yeah, problem: I never had much room in my enderchest. But that changed when the fire nation attacked, errr: when we got shulker boxes:

And there's one in particular I'd like to talk about here. The one in the lower right corner, my Redstone toolbox:

If you're into redstone then I can seriously recommend to set something like this up yourself. I've been using this a few times now with small redstone projects (the last being an SMP2 waste grinder) and it's so darn useful! All I have to do is pick up this box, I go to the location, place it wherever I need it and I can simply work on whatever I'm building.

I stuck it on ceilings, walls, floors... Ideal.

Now, I do suggest adding a bit more redstone dust. I'm soon going to add it up to one stack of dust and either half or a full stack of blocks, but other than that... This is really the ideal thing to have.

Most redstone components are included, the cobble & sandstone is for building while also keeping diversity in mind, the glass is for insulation, dirt to make quick lifts and finally the weighted pressure plate is used so sporadically that I'm not even sure I'll keep it in my toolbox (also because in order to get it 'right' you'd need both variants).

But yeah... Messing with redstone? Then you should get yourself your own toolbox!
    Zrugite, TomvanWijnen, 607 and 3 others like this.
  13. I want to sent a little chalange to you all:
    I have just build an LOVELY item elevator, and I want to know if annyone is able to build a better one (I wasn't able to find one on youtube) so, what are this things you have to beat:

Time it takes to make a DC of items travel up from bedrock to build limit: about 15 min. (I didn't do the full test, since it took too long...) (that is a little faster as two hopper lines/ droppervaters)

size pipe / elevating part: 3x3

size ground/ louch system: 4x1x4

upper system, well, this thing is actually ment to come back into a water stream, but if you wonder how I picked up all that items from the water stream: here that system is, since I don't think annyone knows how to make one water stream run into three hopper lines, here that system is. (jup I also spoil how I did the main stream, but I guess that that is quite obvious, since that's just back woring in 1.11, but not the way it used to be...
    ShelLuser, TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  14. Ooh, that is an interesting challenge. I'll have a look see later on, gives me a good excuse to load up my redstone world (which hasn't had much love recently). I could imagine a dropper elevator yet with a specific redstone clock (you can gain some advantages depending on the way you trigger the droppers), but I also learned of water elevators myself which, for a short period, got nerfed by Mojang and then more or less re-enabled.

But I have no idea what the difference in time is between them. I'll share some results later on!
    Jelle68 and 607 like this.
  15. Mabye I'll get some of Redstone creations rebuilt and share them. Sadly making them on EMC is dangerous, so I'll need to make a world for them, all I got to do is copy it from my PS3 world. Just to warn you, many of my creations were designed to kill other players (and sometimes myself if I wasn't paying attention), so just be careful round them.
    Carbonyx and Jelle68 like this.
  16. So yeah, I did something....

Thanks for the challenge Jelle, it made me re-evaluate some stuff, I learned a new trick (how to make the worst item elevator ever designed :D) and yeah... I think I came up with something useful.

First I tried to think about our options. Getting an item from down to top. There used to be a little hack/glitch where you could use fences to 'push' items under/into a solid block which would effectively push them upwards (comparable to throwing an item in a hole, then placing a block into it). That trick has been patched, and I also didn't really want to use it because... it doesn't have anything to do with redstone.

Design 1

Probably the worst design ever ;)

The dropper is the de-facto block to push items upwards, so I decided to focus on those. Key to success is triggering the droppers in an efficient way. So here I started with observer blocks. The theory is simple: item gets into dropper, comparator lights up, triggers observer and that triggers the dropper above it (strong powered even), effectively resulting in both droppers firing up. But there's more.... Now the comparator will turn off again (at least that was the idea) which will trigger yet another signal.

Now, this item elevator does work. But has one "small" caveat: it only work using single items :D

I did consider trying to set something up which would push the items into the elevator one by one (delayed) but yeah.... Better to simply cut my losses here.

Design 2

Keyword is triggering, and a good way to try and push an item upwards is cascading. At least that's what I call it. So, once again: items get detected in the lower dropper which starts the redstone clock. The clock in its turn triggers the dropper above the first one, in the same way as above. But... This also triggers the observer block above it which triggers the dropper above. Above that is yet another observer block triggering another dropper, and so on.

This item elevator also works, but it's a bit the opposite of the one above. My first design could only transport single items, this one can only transport stacks. Worse yet: it will never completely transport a stack of items, one will always remain somewhere in the elevator.

The reason for that is because the redstone clock stops as soon as the last item leaves the first dropper. So I had to come up with a different 'engine', one which would do one extra click when the last item left the dropper.

That's where I decided to use a hopper clock:

Design 2b

Same design as the above, but this time I replaced the redstone clock with a hopper clock / trigger.

This is my first design which completely works. Even if you toss in one single item it'll be transported above in no time. The single item is at the top in 2 or 3 seconds.

It also works on a server (multi player):

Only caveat: timing. You need to make sure that the timing is correct. Specifically setting the first 'dropper trigger' (redstone repeater) to 1 tick and the one above it to 4 ticks. I haven't experimented with this heavily, but I think you can tune this critter to achieve a faster transport. However, if you set it too fast (1 tick delay) then things sometimes go haywire.

SO then I started thinking about using this cascading effect, but without having to delay the signal. If only there was something which could trigger other things and use a somewhat fixed timing. Oh wait, there is!

Design 3

Still using the hopper trigger, but this time I replaced the observers with redstone torches. Still using the same approach: triggering the dropper above the main one, but thanks to the cascading of the torches (which have their own delay) this elevator can trigger one on one. Without the worry of having to tune it (timing).

Whether you throw in one single item or a whole stack, it'll get triggered and push above. Also in multiplayer / server:

And the fastest is?

I have no idea :p

I've been too busy designing and testing if things actually worked, which didn't leave me with much spare time to set up an actual race. However, having said right now I think that I can achieve a faster response using the "observer trigger tower", even though the signal needs a small delay (1 tick) to be most effective.

But that's for tomorrow. I was hoping to do some mining on EMC today but... I guess that will have to wait. Or maybe a quick 30minutes ;)
    TomvanWijnen, 607 and Jelle68 like this.
  17. What's a redstone? Never heard of it. They seem scary and complex :p
  18. It is my friend, it is.
    Dannyyyy, ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  19. A couple weeks ago i decided to try building a shulker box unloader that would be fully automatic. It needed to be able to unload as many shulker boxes as were placed in it, and work with empty shulker boxes as well. I also had to separate the shulker boxes from the items that were being emptied.

This is the redstone behind the shulker box unloader (it isn't super compact but i didn't feel like spending any more time doing so after just making it work :p)

This is the input for the shulker box unloader set up at my outpost

this is the interface I built to make the system easy to use.

I place the full shulker box in the first chest
    I receive the emptied shulker box in the second chest after it has been unloaded

ShelLuser, Jelle68, 607 and 1 other person like this.