The New Republic

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by 72Volt, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It might be complicated on two levels.
    - it is not trivial to organize a republic and it could be that most of people around do not know much about what politics really means, they might be a bit confused or even frightened because how they perceive "politics" in everyday life.

- full structure of a state is far too much for 15, 30, 150 or even 300, perhaps even 3000 people :)
    It would be far to much work. I think structures need to be appropriate for the size of the community.
    It needs to follow natural development.

This might sound undemocratic.
    If you want to build democracy, then the whole process needs to be democratic. No "bosses," no "owners," no "dukes," no "kings".
    The community would vote about rules for accepting new members, and would elect a person or a body which reviews applications and decides about immigration according to that rules.

In a small community, this decisions are made with consensus and people share a lot. Aikar wrote "communism," but I would say "brotherhood," or "small clan" as "communism" is meant for large society / state, it is not really applicable to small community.

Politics can be successful if it is a service to the community and if it follows the natural development of the community. The best what it can do is to provide a sound basis for possible developments.
    If this is turned upside-down and politics (consciously or unconsciously, explicitly or subtly, openly or hidden) starts to expect the community to serve it (the ideas, the politicians, the government) and/or starts to impose distinct development on the community, it is bound to failure.

The main values of a republic:
    - safety for the citizens - there is a community that really cares, there are healthy and sound rules and practices
    - sound economy - so peoples efforts and investments won't be in vain

But if the effort needed to achieve that is just too high, if it is too complicated, then it might overshadow the benefits.
    We have this IRL, where some states are good, but just too expensive, the taxes are too high, and people and business go away. (They are too expensive mostly because they have too big and inefficient bureaucracy.)
    Lasluin likes this.
  2. I won't get into the discussion regarding political organization. My only goal is to help get the project started.

The very site you are attempting the project on doesn't have anything nearly as complicated as the plans here. We have staff members to enforce 10 rules, that's all. Sure, we have 3 ranks of staff....but generally speaking we are all the same....our opinions all count. And this happened naturally, and it took time.....
    M4nic_M1ner, Crazy1800 and AlexChance like this.
  3. The true success and stability of this project depends on one possible upcoming EMC feature....land claiming after the Dragon Tomb update. Assuming that ever happens, this could be the one thing that holds this Republic idea together. Depending on the rules and costs of wild land claiming, this could help preserve the "downtown" and industrial areas, leaving small villages still in the real wild. Maybe the land claims can be subdivided enough to secure strips of land for rails/roads to allow more access to virgin wild, to more player base, without the risk of griefing. It's all hypothetical of course :p
  4. When Aikar first joined on SMP2 and prior to him being a mod, he started up an "exclusive" wild base for those that he trusted... I think it's that. :)
  5. Yes. That is it. I will be "taking over" for Aikar until he's got some time to actually play :D

I'm looking for members with creative building skills, who aren't extremely concerned about their rupee count, and obviously...trustworthy.... As far as rules there, there really are not many: Iron members or above. It's very easy to know where you can build, and where you can't. We all have our own biome... Keeping with Aikar's plan, we have most resources stored centrally, available for anyone. If anyone is good with organization, we really need to revamp the storage area.
  6. Revamp for 2nd time >_> Old one wasnt the best, but man the new one is confusing lol.
  7. You aren't kidding... There's absolutely no flow to it, and some items are in strange sections. Color coding is cool and all, but when items are in the wrong place - still can't find what you're looking for.
  8. Hmm, Can I join? What sort of roles are there?
  9. The man JUST finished saying....it's for Iron Members and above!

Edit* I thought you were still refering to Aikar's outpost, but I see we're back on topic...oops :p
  10. Although I must add something....why would they make a supporter only outpost on SMP2 where the wild is available to everyone? If you want it supporter only, set it up in the wilds of Utopia. Besides, what if some non-supporter comes by and builds something wonderfully beautiful? Do you keep it or ban him for "griefing"? Possible sticky situation in my opinion....even a slight conflict of interested.
    creepincreepers7 likes this.
  11. Not that one, the one this thread is about....
  12. ???
  13. Last part kinda ruins it for me :/ May I ask about how far out it is? I'd like to compare it to my place on another Smp.
  14. Indeed, I'll add you into the convo and you can pm L0tad if you want to help with construction :)
  15. ... many factors.
    - Is it trustworthy enough, can people reasonably believe that the core group starting it do want to establish and serve a healthy community? That they are not a bunch of bandits, thieves and "politicians"?

A statute / constitution can help. I'm offering to help with it.
    If the outcome will be good and reasonably believable, then I'll apply for citizenship. :)
  16. Right, I have read through 8 pages of this and it still isn't clear (the OP just make it worse).
    Can somebody please tell me just what and where this outpost will be, it's main goals and other things.
    Also, in English, please
  17. The goal of the project is a large, modern themed to the city, and a new economy in the woods
    LLO remember I wanted to show you, well, this is the continuation of.

We're just trying to change the location, and also are looking for workers to help build the new city

EDIT

It got translated...
  18. It will be a citystate with colonies, a government, and Empire Minecraft's first player-made currency. If you wish to assist in construction, L0tad can pm you the location.
  19. I would love to join this, as we previously discussed. Also I want to discuss some other details with you 72.
  20. I'll add you into the group, pm L0tad if you wish to help with construction :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.