The Game of Thrones! - WARNING: SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by batmegh, Jun 13, 2013.

1. I am well aware the holes in the idea. Simply suggesting that the "rightful heir" meant something more than the information available to us in Season 1. I do not recall any of the commentaries I have heard/read mention that incident recently, so I thought it seemed like a 'new' conspiracy theory; knowing full well that it didn't hold water.
    synth_apparition likes this.
  2. At this point in certain the next book won't come out.

Waiting for next season is gonna get weird. /R/freefolk is already reduced to forced memes just to keep themselves sane. R/asoiaf continues to theorise over that one time GRRM said a common word and how they conclude it means... Well they've explored everything possible at this point yet continue to discuss it. R/gameofthrones continues to discover big scenes of obvious foreshadowing 1 year after everyone else did (omg guys the dragons flew over jon when he said he isn't a stark because HES NOT A STARK!!!!!!!! OMG!! - an actual post I saw there 2 weeks ago).
  3. ARE YOU READY. THE YEAR HAS COME.
  4. im calling it now, sansa will win the iron throne. bet against me i dare you
    Nickblockmaster and ThaKloned like this.
  5. Can't wait! Watch the video after the one toade posted with Ayria running and the red circle behind her. Fan theory? Yes. Spoilers? Maybe. It is worth the watch.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  6. TWO FLIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIN DAYS KIDS
  7. Hot Pie is back on the menu boys
    Eviltoade likes this.
  8. Definitely looking forward to this, though it's a shocker we're already at the final season. :D Wonder who comes out on top. . .

You know, all things considered, I think it will be someone in the Stark bloodline, though all I want to see this season is Cersei's comeuppance.
    Eviltoade and Tbird1128 like this.
  9. I'm gonna be upset if like 80% of the cast doesn't die. It'll feel cheap. One of the biggest points of GoT is that war is hell, and what we gain is almost never worth what we lost.
    Nickblockmaster likes this.
  10. I'm so upset.

I can't go on any longer.

I can't believe they did that to my favourite character, who I've just waited a year and a half to see.

You were a brave one, Ned (?) Umber.

😭😭😭
    Hashhog likes this.
  11. so, jon realized he uh... _____ his aunt. :D
    CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW SHE ACTS WHEN SHE FINDS OUT SHE AINT NOTHINNNNNN
  12. well, say goodbye to everyone you love on game of thrones.
    next week shit hits the fan.
    pray to the gods your favorites live.

prepare to cry. hell, disconnected your feelings now
  13. Calling it now, Podrick Payne will be killed by a wight next week. He'll somehow suffer a death from bleeding out and Ser Brienne will knight him.

Tormund will kill a wight giant and its wife will drown him in giant milk.

Beric Dondarrion will save Jon Snow/Jon Stark/Jon Targaryen/Aegon Targaryen/whatever-his-name-is-now from certain death and die in the process, but that'll be the reason he was resurrected by Rh'llor eighteen times. I only say that because Rh'llor resurrects Catelyn in the books, and she goes on a quest to kill all of the Freys and anyone associated with the Stark's downfall, and has a burning hatred for Jon - as she did in life, but was more forgiving then because he didn't choose to be born. It would be poetic for her to save Jon in the end, and Beric seems to have taken her role because for some reason the writers didn't like Catelyn enough to follow her book story.

Winterfell itself will die. I really hope there's something in it they're retrieving - there's a theory that there's an ice dragon beneath Winterfell, but that seems book only now. They've got a strange obsession with the Starks so I'm really really hoping they resurrect all the dead Starks in the crypts.

Meanwhile the Night King leaves to raze King's Landing to the ground? ðŸĪŠ

Anyway, I think the mains are safe.
    batmegh likes this.
  14. Dragon forge, you have dragons dang it make the swords!
    Batmegh I have a House of Black and White build on smp3 , it's my head museum!
    I'll open this week, it's taken forever! Come check it out.
  15. That episode was mindbogglingly stupid and surprisingly... just plain boring.

Nothing happened in the first hour. Ghost died off-screen? Maybe? The only thing that makes me doubt that is people working on the show promising he'd be prominent in this season. But there's no way he survived charging into an army of wights. Last time a direwolf did that it got killed in like 1 second. So there's Jon's wolf he's had since Season 1 and has had a deep connection with gone for 3 years and brought back to die off-camera at Jorah 'creepy uncle' Mormont's side, and not Jon's.

Speaking of Creepy Uncle... his death was handled very nicely actually. Theon died failing, the same way he lived lol. Melisandre came back and set some stuff on fire that had about as much effect as filling a hole people are drowning in with more water to save them - then she collapsed in the snow and died. But...

THOSE WERE THE ONLY DEATHS.

No character of any remote importance was lost. Edd, Lord Commander of the NW, who we haven't seen since Season 6. That one Dothraki dude who was in a single episode of Season 7. Rhaegal di- oh, he's in the next episode.

The major character who did die? The Night King. A man older than the kingdoms under the rule of the 300 year old Iron Throne, presented as a world-ending magical threat, our real enemy for the past 8 years, raiser of the dead, brought down the wall... got killed by a sneak attack from a 17 year old girl who... came from literally nowhere. Was Arya hiding in the Godswood tree? Did she hide among the wights? Did she push through the wights? Where did she come from? What happened to the whole Jon-NK rivalry? Jon didn't even do anything in this episode lol

PLUS WHERE WAS THE DRAGON FIGHT WE WERE PROMISED? I COULDN'T SEE ANYTHING WHEN THEY WERE FIGHTING AND VISERION DID NOT KILL DROGON OR RHAEGAL AND THE LATTER TWO DIDN'T EVEN KILL VISERION

I suppose it makes sense that the white walkers/the others/cold ones were defeated at Winterfell... but IMO it could have been handled a lot better and we did not need 1 hour and 20 minutes for this boring battle. I couldn't even see half of it because it was far too dark.

The enemy for the rest of the season is Cersei ████-for-Brains Lannister. I do not care about Cersei Lannister. Who cares about Cersei Lannister? How do we get two 1 hour 30 minute episodes about defeating Cersei Lannister?

Fully expecting us to have George R.R Martin suddenly start pooping books with perfect endings he got by looking at the fan reaction to this episode and the ones to come.
  16. Pretty cool to see this thread still going on after six years. I myself have only seen up to the second episode of season 2, but I've heard there's a lot of anticipation for this season
    607 likes this.
  17. I tend to hold an unpopular opinion about this past episode: while I did come away with some disappointment, overall I enjoyed it and feel they did a good job. Without further ado, here are my major points on the Battle of Winterfell (responding mostly to Soul's thoughts):
    OVERALL IMPRESSION: B+
    The only thing that keeps this episode from being an A+ is the lack of character deaths (getting to that in a moment). In terms of the battle, this was in no way boring whatsoever. Hearing a lot of complaints about the lighting and general shooting. Guys... it was night. They filmed this near perfectly, and the lighting only added to that. Could see everything just fine.

In terms of cuts, even where they lacked footage and had to make do, the scenes on the wall were grippingly chaotic--again, because it's a battle. There were only a few scattered minutes where I might have slowed things up a bit (the wall portion from the moment they reach Gendry to where they start cutting in the Hound). Overall, they get an A+ for how they structured this. My only real complaint filming-wise was that the scene of Arya dodging Wights within the keep went on a bit too long for my taste.

GHOST
    I keep hearing a lot of gripes about Ghost? I'll be brutally honest: I did not care about Ghost when he was alive, nor do I care about his death. Ghost hasn't had a strong presence in several seasons, and even when he did, he was less a character than a tool. Heck, he disappeared for weeks on end in the mountains that one time. Could not care less about that dog and his tenuous-at-best connection with Jon.

HUMAN DEATHS
    I love Jorah, and his death was incredibly moving. Loved it. Now, I 100% agree that there were not enough deaths in this battle. There is no way that Sam or Jaime would be alive for practical reasons, Gendry really serves no purpose at this point, and just from a believe-ability perspective, I would've killed another five or so. However, people keep getting caught up on there only being "three" deaths besides the Night King. Even if you dismiss Beric (Beric is like Ghost: who cares?) and Edd, there are two major losses that absolutely loom as large as those of Jorah and Theon:
    1. Lyanna Mormont. She had become a major, major force among the North in the past two seasons (the North very well might not be helping in this battle if it weren't for her persuasion in the past), and to dismiss her as a minor character is preposterous. The incredibly scene that was her death goes to show just how notable an event the writers considered it.
    2. The Dothraki. This really was a death in itself, and a frightening one at that... to see an unstoppable horde swallowed up by the night? You cannot dismiss that.
    But yes, still would've added more deaths. That undead dragon was spewing pain everywhere and none of the main characters got toasted? Come on.

The NIGHT KING
    I completely support everything about his death and cannot believe I'm hearing so much complaint about it, just logically speaking.

If the Night King lives, first of all, everyone dies. There is no more story, just Cersei vs. Night King. He essentially had unlimited troops and the upper hand the entire battle; there was no conceivable reason for him to retreat or leave anyone alive. If the Night King lived, the series ended at episode 3.

Why not move the Battle of Winterfell later in the series? Because then we are again waiting around for several episodes with not much happening. I loved this season's Episode 2, but I hated Episode 1, the "cheesy, badly-written exposition episode"; if they pushed this battle back any further, it would've just been a couple extra Episode 1's stuck in there.

So, the Night King had to die. That wasn't a surprise. I don't need the lore, and I am fine knowing that he won't be an antagonist moving forward. My one critique is that while the Wights certainly had to evaporate on his death, there wasn't any precedent that said the White Walkers themselves also had to go; a few could've escaped and caused issue later. But the Night King himself did have to go.

As for how he went, they've been showing Arya training in stealth with the Faceless Men for countless episodes, and she disappeared very early in this one, so she had plenty of time to prepare for her task. I fully believe that ending.

The MUSIC
    Amazing. I have to mention it... that end score? Chilling.

JON and DAENERYS
    If you aren't aware, I am HUGE team Daenerys. Can't stand Jon. Was pleased to see that after two episodes of being made out to be the villain, Daenerys got to have her moment as the genuine Dragon Queen (her and Jorah! Heart-breaking) while Jon, predictably and as per usual, did nothing.

The DRAGONS
    Don't particularly understand how Rhaegal is still alive? We did get a genuinely great dragon fight though between Viserion and him before he disappeared, though. I am fully satisfied with that fight as far as dragon fights go... any more would've been extraneous.

BRAN
    Really thought Bran had a plan... I don't know what all his Warg-ing was for, but I'm annoyed that after having to put up with his weirdness for all this time, his only contribution was to sit there. That's where I'd like an explanation.
    Don't know how you can insult my homie like that. Love Jorah!
  18. i think bran knew exactly how the night king was going to die LONG before it even happened. i am pretty sure he wanted away from the town so that arya could sneak up like she did and end him. he irritates me because he knows everything and tells no one a single thing. who knows what his warging crap was all about.. to waste time, i have no idea where he went with those ravens.. but it was a waste and dumb to me.. maybe we find out next week.

lady mormont is bad ass. she is the toughest child on the planet. CRUSHED AND BONES BROKEN SHE STILL MANAGES TO STAB A GIANT IN THE EYE WITH HER DRAGON GLASS AND GO OUT AMAZINGLY. I SCREAMED.

i wish daenerys had died. i really can't stand her even if my life depended on it. lol

sam should be dead 50 times over.

the hound protecting/going after arya is the best thing i never knew i needed to develop from that relationship.

i saw a tweet today of a bar full of people watching game of thrones.. and everyone SCREAMING at arya killing the night king and let me tell you it was the greatest thing xD

i was so excited going to bed last night, i don't know how i even fell asleep.
    liamwill, Lukas3226, __Devil_ and 2 others like this.