The future of EMC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AussieZaid, Sep 16, 2015.

?

What do you think EMC will be like in the future

1.9 Update will come 47 vote(s) 77.0%
A new type of supporter 2 vote(s) 3.3%
Bigger residences 1 vote(s) 1.6%
A new SMP 11 vote(s) 18.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think alot of those "bad" staff interactions happen when a staff is summoned to look at an issue and when they show up in the server they get 30 people saying hello or PMing them...I think the love of the community here that made them want to be staff can wear you to the point of burn out. I myself love to spend time mining, if had to spend all my time dealing with someone said poop in chat reports, it would wear me down some, but I can always flip to my alt for some alone time, and still see whats going on.
  2. sorry i just have to comment on this. Staff are humans as well as you all, Chemistry between staff and players shouldn't be an issue since we as mods are also players, we have our good days and our bad days. Sometimes we are in a difficult report when someone sends a pm wanting to chat and we might answer in dry fashion. Thats nothing personal. Just like some players aren't really extrovertive so are mods. When you bash mods... you are bashing people. It has saddened me to see two threads now that bash both Mods and Krysyy for trying to do their jobs. We aren't perfect. We never will be. We tell you to contact Krysyy if you are unhappy with the mute/ban/any action we do because she is the Community manager , she serves the community not just the mods. She is impartial and i do know that she is fair. I might be babbling but that's just because i have seen few individual players bashing Staff members for having bad language skills and maybe they have been on the receiving end of a ban or a mute that they disagreed with. We always have reasons for our actions and all our actions are logged.

First edit: OH yeah and EMC wont die with 1.9 .. it will continue to evolve just like after 1.8. many of us thought that enchantment shops would die with the new villager system but that worked out fine :D
  3. Speaking only for myself: I'm not shy about taking staff to task for things I view as unfair, unprofessional, or otherwise in need of correcting. I just don't do it in public.
    -When Aikar initially took over EMC, officially, I quit EMC for several months, until I finally happened on a thread by ICC where I could air some of my grievances. Turned out, much of it was due to a misunderstanding, and one particular prankster's residence message. :oops: I still feel like a tool about that one.
    -I've spoken to both Aikar and Krysyy (moreso Aikar) about their public approach. I always expect them to take my advice with a grain of salt, but I've never felt like I'd be in trouble for speaking my mind, as long as I was respectful about it.

If it seems like "veteran" members seem to be more in agreement with staff than against, I suggest that's down to one of two factors:
    -The ones who disagree or have issues with leadership mostly left for "greener pastures" already
    OR
    -We've been around long enough to have perspective, and realize that even when things get ugly, staff can usually be counted on to do the right thing. Not always - no one's perfect, and I do think it's equally important to speak up when mistakes happen - but the success rate is such that we're willing to give them the benefit of doubt, whereas newer members maybe haven't had the time to appreciate the bigger track record, and will focus on "that one thing" instead.

Bottom line is, it's not that being on any kind of "team" changes your opinion or forces you to "fall in line" as it were - just that you might gain some perspective not apparent to less experienced players.

Staff get dozens of PMs daily and it's easy for one to slip through the cracks. If you haven't gotten a response in a day or two (from your last post), try bumping it just to check and make sure they've seen it. It's not a personal slight, just a problem with volume. As for the quote/response thing? Don't read into it, that's just looking for reasons to take offense.
  4. ArchdukeMelon As your words spoke to me personally, I must add. We are all humans as you said we have our off days. That is totally understandable and I respect you even more so putting it out there.

As the chemistry, I'm noting moderators I don't see often or either give players short blunt answers most times. The green badge you wear shows all of us that you have power over us. That in itself causes regular players like myself to be intimidated. I know you don't have any other privileges than moderation but it still shows you can dictate a player being banned/kicked/muted

Just my addition.
  5. I apologize if you took that as favoritism in any way. When I check these threads, I am usually looking through them all, then choosing the most recent one to quote. I fail at multiquotes in one post so i simply don't do them. Haros' was the most recent one, so I replied to his since they ll have the same general answer to them at that time.

Your issue was regarding a road edit and you messaged a Senior Staff that was on vacation. Once we added everyone to the convo, we did get someone to ask you for more information, but sadly this is where a flaw of forum pm's comes into play and things are likely to fall in cracks if the message is accidentally viewed before someone can take action on it. I view my inbox at work frequently and if the title is not named appropriately or by accident I click on it, I am unable to do anything that requires getting in-game. Xenforo doesn't have a way to mark things as unread once they are read...Perhaps the solution would be to simply bump the pm as I tell many players that pm me. I'm sure a senior staff member can take care of it then.
    Hashhog, 607, WayneKramer and 3 others like this.
  6. Dont Feel intimidated. we dont bite... except for baradar67 but thats ok he is a shark.
    But to the point. it wasn't directed at you :) i do realise that the green name looks intimidating but we are just like you, i was once not a mod . and i was scared of talking to mods . then when i became one. i was still scared lol. then i realised they are just like me. people .

So if you ever have problems you can either pm me if you want to or find staff online :) all of us want to help
    607, FDNY21, crystaldragon13 and 3 others like this.
  7. Most team members support the staff team. My point is that we aren't obligated to do so. Whenever you see a contributor agree with a staff member or defend the staff, it's done of their own free will. I doubt most people would volunteer their time to a server with a staff team that they think is flawed, biased, and doesn't care about the community, which is in part why I believe so many team members love the staff team and defend them.

I could point out at least one instance off of the top of my head of contributors (respectfully) discussing issues with the server and staff team, but to be completely honest I'd rather not. And, well, a few team members probably have held their tongue before because of the title, which I do believe is pretty unfortunate.

@FoxyRavenger I doubt this'll be locked as everything's respectful. :)

Brief response as my arm already hurts from typing on my phone (yeah... I dunno).[/I]
    SoulPunisher, Hashhog, 607 and 6 others like this.
  8. Just adding this little note here for the wonderful staff to see. Yes they are humans and they do have their flaws, but things like this have not gone unnoticed by me....
    See green guys/gals, this is what I was referencing in the staff guide when i was explaining that stuff =P
    Hashhog, 607, LuckyPat and 6 others like this.
  9. The fact that I am saying this means a lot.

The vast majority of these problems are born out of jealousy and anxiety. We have high standards for our leadership, which is good, but many of them are unrealistic. Sit back and enjoy the ride :)

Lets get back on topic, here. Every time an update comes out, everyone thinks it is the apocalypses, but it is not. EMC manages to get through every update, and it all works out fine.
  10. I added multiple people to the conversation over the course of a few days, which sends out alerts, just in case one was busy. As for the quote/response thing, it isn't the first time it's happened. I'm not an unreasonable person. I will only mention something if it's a continuous issue.

I never had an issue with a road edit, so I'm not sure which message you're referencing. My issue was with my spooky egg. I understand if it isn't fixable, but I'd at least like a reply saying so over the course of 2 months.
    Deadmaster98 likes this.
  11. I actually had the opposite problem. I'm still having trouble seeing Seffychan, Luckygreenbird, and Burgerknight wearing the green coat. Sometimes I need reminding that they do, in fact, have actual Powerz now.
  12. So the road edit was addressed, good. I was pretty sure we gave a response to that Spooky egg issue. We get quite a few random x replacement/glitches here and there. If it's something like that, the staff have to check with Aikar to make sure he fixes the issue before we'll reply. Once again though, bumping a convo is never an issue if you think something has been overlooked as long as you don't spam it.
  13. Thats been my goal since day 1. Problem is, it's not easy to achieve and maintain. People expect a lot, and sometimes I dont have enough to give them.

On a happier note, I forsee EMC hanging on to MC by its nails and teeth, until we are forced to close down this aspect of it. However, I also forsee EMC moving into other mediums, when the need arises.
    Hashhog, 607, crystaldragon13 and 2 others like this.
  14. I'm noting that some players can take that approach I can tell you that I fear Krysyy the most. Not just because she is purple no... I had a interaction with her and I know your busy (Bless your soul) but I just felt rejected talking to you on mumble. I'm always feeling uneasy because what I say can put a bad intimidation of myself.
  15. Ah, see herein lies the issue. I try to be very active in mumble, but sometimes my irl problems can get included in my daily talks on mumble. This is why we express that mumble is not an area for staff conversations. When you are talking to someone that does have a rank, they are talking as a normal person in mumble. I slip up here and there, i'm a LOT more sarcastic on bad days, and sometimes I completely space out.
    If that ever made you feel rejected in any way, I offer my utmost apologies. It was never my intention. I'm a bit more 'controlled' in text than I am in speech.

EDIT: Also for those of you that ARE on mumble, you know I have Moose constantly yelling 'food' or 'pets' from across the house when I'm trying to do something =P
    607, Penguinub, Dramanya and 2 others like this.
  16. On the note of "If the staff recruitment process doesn't change, EMC will fail". That's been said constantly for 3~ years.
    It's a pretty old idea. But here we are... Better than ever before, and not failing. Great staff team! Surely something is working great?

Also, on "Only see staff for events". Remember there's 10 servers. If you only see staff for event (which is expected to be less than socialable experience usually)... It's likely that's not their home server.

We're not recruiting any staff purely based on what their home server is, nor are we asking any staff to disrupt their social circle and leave their home server.

It's not perfect, but it's as best as it can be. If a staff is doing an event or processing a staff request, then things are hectic and harder to be 'social', and are likely to be more short answered.

They may be giving you 2 word answers, because they are having a conversation in PM or Local with another player in need, and everyone who's been here a while knows it is annoying to constantly switch focus of conversations, so its easy to switch to primary chat you need to talk in, and use the shortcuts to respond to one offs. Holding in depth conversations over multiple channels is difficult.

as for the threads subject.... I really don't know why people are afraid of 1.9. It's going to be one of the best updates for EMC and im super excited for it.

We will tune the end to our needs. We will remove player collision back to the way it is now (we don't accept everything Mojang adds/changes).

As a survival server, the 1.9 changes are a major boost to potential for new items... really looking forward to it.
  17. Wow this thread has went a million different directions. I think Erektus needs some breathing exercises. In through your mouth, 1,2,3,4 now on exhale blow out twice as long but slower, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. Now don't we all feel better. Some staff have a knack for getting under my skin but as a whole the staff team here is very personable and proactive in keeping things for emc players to do. Addressing concerns and throwing one off puns/jokes that are totally not funny but we laugh and make fun of them when they switch smps XD Not talking about the boulder, never would talk about the boulder :p (I'm really kidding, I freaking love the rock puns, no clue why lol)

Emc hasn't failed and the development and staff team aren't doing anything to push emc down that road. Since I have been here the development team has doubled and so has updates/releases and fixes. This isn't indicative of a dying server. I think it's indicative of a personal interaction that is being projected. As far as haro, he hangs out with the nostalgia days people so surely that's going to effect him lol. Emc is rocking and rolling and if you don't like it that's fine but it isn't going to stop it, no matter how much you say it will.
    FoxyRavenger and ArchdukeMelon like this.
  18. Refreshing the thread constantly just reminded me how Aikar or Krysyy have that predominant feature of stopping or slowing down a opinion thread.

It truthfully looks like Aikar has a signature made up of some penetrable blocks where opinions can't squeeze past the gaps
    Krysyy's signature shows she is always monitoring and standing watch of the opinionators.
  19. oh yeah, I forgot to comment on 1.9 out of the million things talked about in this thread. I have no clue why people are so worried about it. Aren't you tired of doing the same spam click combat as you have been forever? IT really IS boring! This is what I get: shields suck, not spam clicking sucks. ACTUALLY not having a shield sucks and spam clicking sucks lol. That's pretty much been the consensus in the gaming community since... i dunno mortal kombat 2? Sweep, sweep, sweep, sweep, finish him... or just sweep again. XD

Edit: to help some people, the sweep move is when you just held down the back button and repeatedly pressed B. you would do an annoying little kick to knock your opponent on their back.... over and over and over until the match was done. It was the first thing I can think of that featured hardcore spam clicking in pvp. lol.
  20. So I'm late to the party and this thread has sure derailed a lot....

First of all I'd also like to comment on the staff. And yes, I know, I'm a member of the contribution team so I am biased and in favor of whatever the staff is doing, right? Wrong. I've also seen situations where I believe the involved staff member handled a certain situation poorly. Note: in my opinion of course. Most notable to me was a small incident on smp8. Note: I won't share any names because I don't see the point in calling someone out like this.

In short: it was a situation where a moderator warned a few players about language usage, in my opinion a fair comment, and got called out. Also fair in my opinion because the players were honestly joking around in a fun way. After which the moderator more or less responded with the fact that those were the rules and they had to enforce them. Which didn't really help because players kept questioning them (both the moderator and the rules).

So yes, I agree with what some people have said above because it's true. I've also seen it happening. But as always there are 2 sides to every story. Is it possible that you are unhappy because you found yourself on the warning end of the moderator?

The way I see it there are 2 things you can do in this situation: think to yourself "meh, they're doing a lousy job" and move on or actually try to improve on the situation yourself and try making it better than it was. Complaining is easy, it's fully understandable, but still easy. Trying to act not so much...

I actually stepped in and backed up said moderator by explaining to the players why they enforced those rules and what the attached risks were for not following up on them. Note: no comments in the likes of "you'd get kicked" or such, thats nonsense, but explaining what could happen if they carried on. More or less: "it would become a chaotic mess really soon" (not a literal quote for obvious reasons).

For some reason players did understand and respected my reasoning and they stopped. Some even apologized to me. I mean, what the heck....

Thing is: I can honestly see both sides of the medal here. Maybe the moderator in question could have done a better job, but to say that I think they did a bad job? Absolutely not.

But I do think we also need to know & respect our place sometimes (myself included).

Still... This is a good example why I think that you don't need that green hat to do a wee bit of moderation yourself. When done respectfully, while also making sure to always recognize your own place, you can actually talk to people instead of whining at them with "don't do that, its against the rules!". I think some would be surprised at the results.

But in the end I think people should also remember why the staff is there in the first place. They're not out to win popularity contests either.

Obviously just my 2 cents.

For the record: In case you're wondering: me being on the contribution team has had some affect on me, for sure. However, I think that I didn't change the way I acted or behave because of that. I butted into auctions before to try and help players out (sometimes pointing out the rules), I've warned players about some rules in-game long before I became a contrib. team member. At one time I even convinced a spammer (advertising another servers) to take off by merely talking to them. No need to /report them, so I didn't (I think I even mentioned this on my profile).

So yeah, thats my say on that.
    607, Dramanya and bloodra1n like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.