The fact thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mrlegitislegit, May 21, 2012.

1. Fact: mrlegitislegit is not legit
    imBobertRobert likes this.
  2. True, true, I had religion in mind for some reason I said theory. You're right.

The fastest spacecraft to have been launched is the Helios 2, which set a record at 252,792 km/h, found this out the other day.

My mistake, that's what I meant :p

The only calculation I've ever seen (the Drake Equation by Carl Sagan, world famous scientist) said they're were 1-10. I know it is extremely unreliable due to too many variables and most of them theorized not necessarily factual, but I'd though I'd share.
    imBobertRobert likes this.
  3. If you are mad because I got my own thread cleaned up for useless stuff, thats cool.
  4. AND It was caused by England docking at Zanzibar without the Sultan's (I think) permission to watch a match of cricket.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  5. Indeed it is. When I was looking it up, I initially thought that New Horizons was the fastest spacecraft, but I failed to notice the use of the term erroneous. It was in that same sentence that the Helios probes are mentioned as the fastest spacecraft ever launched.

The reason I ignored Helios is because I saw a sentence a bit further down saying "This record is held by Voyager 1, currently travelling at 17.145 km/s (38,400 mph) relative to the Sun.". Once again, in my haste, I completely missed the part where that statement is referring to the fastest spacecraft to leave the Solar System.

So, to clarify, Helios 2 is as you rightly say the fastest spacecraft ever launched, but remains in solar orbit. Voyager 1 is the fastest spacecraft which has left the Solar System. New Horizons was the spacecraft with the highest launch velocity.

So if a Helios probe were sent to Proxima Centauri, it would take about 18,127 years.
    Seberling likes this.
  6. Contrary to popular belief corn is a vegetable, not a starch. IMO the best vegetable.
  7. You think pandas are so great, watch this:
  8. It's funny because Helios 1 and 2 are some of the earliest spacecraft launched :p
  9. Fact: I hate censorship.
  10. *1-20.
  11. hmm... do you live in iowa or something?
  12. Hahaha no I live on the east coast, but most people where I live think corn is a starch. It is, but it is a vegetable that has starch in it.
  13. lol. yeah where i live (iowa) we either grow corn or we eat corn. i just eat it. i really could think that it would be a fruit for all i knew :p
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  14. This post exists.