The fact thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mrlegitislegit, May 21, 2012.

1. if you look carefully at the start f the first lord of the rings movie one of the soldiers looks at his watch :p
  2. Then explain that to all the scientists that believe blue whales are the biggest animals ever.
  3. Blue whales are the biggest sea mammals ever, (I think mammals, I could be wrong. but pretty much biggest animal in the sea) One of the dinosaurs was the biggest animal living on land.
  4. FACT: Aikar and Maxarias are engaged
  5. FACT: surfing is my favorite sport
    FACT: 32 degress F is freezing point for water
    FACT: there is a beach in mexico where you cant swim because it is reserved for sharks
    FACT: rats are the 10th smartist animal
    FACT: dolphins are the 2nd smartist animal
    FACT: great white sharks can grow as big as a school bus
    FACT: my dad has surfed with a white tip reef shark in astraulla
    FACT: saltwater alligators (in florida and astraulla) kill more people than sharks every year
  6. nuh-uh-uh! stop RIGHT there.
    depending on its previous state, say liquid water (AKA water), it will stay in that state. take a glass of water, put it in a freezer cooled EXACTLY to 32* F(sorry no little circle on my keyboard) or 0*C then the liquid water will stay as a liquid. BUT if the temperature went down at all, the water could then freeze.
    if solid water (aka ice) is exposed to a similar scenario where its a 32/0* room and it fluctuates to a slightly higher temp, then it can melt. this is why your ice water probably wont freeze when you are drinking it.
    oh and gaseous water (AKA steam) is the same style.
    same with any kind of frozen, liquid, gas, or plasma out there.
    oh and BTW 32 degrees F is much different than 32 degrees C.
  7. FACT: only 1 : 10 people attacked by sharks die
  8. -Nearly every home in America has a toaster. The average household spends 35 hours a year making toast.
    -An estimated 75 million Americans eat toast every day.
    -The first U.S. patent for an electric toaster was made in 1909 by General Electric for an appliance that was nothing more than exposed heating elements surrounded by a wire cage to hold the bread. This model, the D-12, is considered the first commercially successful toaster in U.S. history.
    -The toaster did not really take off until after 1933, when sliced bread was invented, which makes it official: Historically speaking, the toaster is the best thing since sliced bread.
    - The first-ever fully automatic pop-up toaster is the Toastmaster one-A-one, invented in 1926. It was not cheap. In today's dollars this would have gone for $150 and was a prized wedding gift
    -An estimated 75 million Americans eat toast every day.

I am probably one of the most important appliances ever.
    PRO_G4NGST4 and ZBSDKryten like this.
  9. An entire minecraft map is 64,000k if laid out IRL... and is larger than the moon we see at day time.

My name is not Derpina or Derpette.
  10. FACT: 90% percent of people who say Mac's are better are typing that on a PC.
    FACT: Windows is a good operating system.
    FACT: I forgot the fact I was going to put down, but I know it wasn't a Pro-Windows fact.
    FACT: According to advanced algorithms, the worlds best name is Craig.
    imBobertRobert likes this.
  11. The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes. Best way to have a war, I reckon, get it over with before breakfast :rolleyes:
    PRO_G4NGST4 likes this.
  12. That was the first song intentionally transmitted into space. However, the first music broadcast over radio was an Austrian folk song sung by Dr. Nussbaumer as an experiment in 1904. In 1906, Professor Reginald Fessenden broadcast "O' Holy Night" from Massachusetts to ships at sea on Christmas Eve.

It is possible and very probable that later music broadcasts will overtake these as their weak signals lose energy, but "Across the Universe" was not the first song to travel through space.

The Mayan calendar is derived from a system of counting the number of fingers and toes as the days go by, hardly a system that has any cosmic significance.

99942 Apophis will pass close to Earth, below our orbiting communications satellites, in 2029. If during this event it passes though a gravitational keyhole, then it will strike Earth when it returns in 2036. If that happens, which with current data is predicted to be very improbable, it would not create another moon. Apophis is only about 270 meters across and would have landed somewhere in the Pacific ocean. The asteroid which is believed to have impacted the Earth and projected debris into space which accreted to form our Moon is estimated to have been about the size of Mars.

Geomagnetic reversal occurs on average every 450,000 years and the transition takes between 1,000 and 10,000 years. The last reversal, Brunhes–Matuyama, occurred about 780,000 years ago.

That's a fact, not a theory.

Satellites by definition orbit celestial bodies, so they're not going anywhere and certainly not at that speed. The fastest spacecraft to have been launched is Voyager 1, which is cruising at about 62,136 kilometers per hour thanks in part to gravity assists from Jupiter and Saturn.

At that speed, it would reach the nearest star (Proxima Centauri) in approximately 73,748 years.

I don't know what this means.

You are describing the theory of the birth of the universe, not a galaxy.

Estimates from calculations using the Drake equation have resulted in figures between zero and 100 million. There are just too many unknowns and uncertain assumptions to produce accurate results.

If you were to place a container of water at room temperature (25 °C) in a closed environment with a controlled temperature of 0 °C, obviously it wouldn't freeze immediately. It takes time for the two systems to achieve thermal equilibrium.

Quite true, but -40 °C is the same as -40 °F.
  13. Yep, been doing thermofluids this semester :) Very interesting topic :)
  14. Fact: There is no god, only JustinGuy.
  15. Can't agree with you on this point - irrespective of the energy in electromagnetic waves, all travel at the speed of light (ie it does not slow down so what was transmitted first remains first)
  16. Yes all radio waves travel at the speed of light, but the further they travel the more energy they lose as described by the inverse-square law. Even though each radio wave will permeate a given space in chronological order, those earlier, weaker signals might not be decipherable compared to more recent, stronger transmissions.

That is what I meant by "overtake", not in the physical sense that the wave itself will slow down.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  17. Hippos have red sweat. It has two purposes: It acts as a natural sun-screen as they live in very hot climates; it also acts and an antiseptic. This is because they are very territorial and they fight alot.
  18. the word computer bug comes from a old computer on a us navy ship that was blocked by a bug creature
  19. Fact: There are less than 400 pandas in zoos and only 1,600 left in the wild.
    Fact: Pandas share looks between a bear and a raccoon, but are more genetically related to bears.
    Fact: 99% of a panda's diet consists of bamboo and pandas spend 12 hours a day eating.
    Fact: Although pandas eat it alot, bamboo is not very nutritional. The stem and roots are where it's at.
    Fact: Pandas are omnivorous.
    Fact: I am a panda.
    NathanRP likes this.
  20. No, not ever, alive now.