The Empire of the Future - My vision! (Updated: 7/13/18)

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorry, but I disagree. Mojang is adding features that are definitely useful to servers. More "Vanilla" servers (EMC) profit from each additional block, PVP servers will benefit from not having to deal with, say, the hassle of spectators with Spectator Mode. Also, mapmaking and adventure maps are hugely popular in the Minecraft community. What kinds of features would help a large multiplayer server that Mojang is not adding?

You are talking about creating a sense of community, and assume that AFK farms hurt this, but AFKing, I would argue, HELPS the community. Most players have to work or go to school. Strip mining isn't exactly something you do with your friends. Being able to leave a farm going, and gather resources while you couldn't play otherwise, lets you spend more time building, playing, and otherwise building a strong community.

The fact that items like iron are cheap makes it easier to, say, complete builds, open community centers, and help the community.

I heard a very one-sided view of this issue from your post. Big Servers complaining about Big Youtubers. I recently acquired a small private server for my friends and me to play on. It's fun as heck. And I definitely feel a sense of community. It's vanilla survival. Load up a new map once in a while. Not because we want to "play some adventure map with the new features that the latest update added" But because they are fun. When we feel like we have played it enough... we play survival or EMC.

EMC is not alone. There are lots of other servers out there. I agree that EMC has a pretty unique community, but if you think people are permanently leaving EMC and the community to play something else, they are probably bored with Empire itself.

Ps. I actually like the new planned features, DT, claimable wildernesss, and PVP all sound fantastic, what I disagree with the philosophy you are taking about Minecraft in general.
    Todd_Vinton and melk73 like this.
  2. Sometimes I wish Aikar designed Minecraft
    JZH1000 and AlexChance like this.
  3. OH MY GOD YEA!!! YOU GO GIRL (Aikar)
  4. You can type /waste, walk 200 blocks, and find Diamonds.

Doing it 200 blocks from spawn vs 20k blocks from spawn makes zero difference.
    Doing games on its own server is the plan with bungee.

Shop should/can be moved too.
    mba2012 and B4DMAN5IMON like this.
  5. I completely agree with his reply.
  6. Agreed. :) And I'm really glad you've posted a well said piece on this. Your programming expertise, and proven position in the minecraft multiplayer community lends weight to your words.

I read this knowing you mean well. And I do agree. But be careful. :)
    I am a builder, I love learning and inovating new ways to automate/simplfy things in minecraft. And it has nothing to do with breaking the economy or out-doing over peoples hard work mining. :) I just love building. If I loose the ability to benefit from building automations/farms of any kinds, I will loose interest in Minecraft, or at least EMC. I don't mind mob hunting and mining, but i loose interest quickly.
    However, I'm also loving the direction you are going with adventures and promoting group work to achieve goals. I 100% support it! And I'll definitely be taking part in all that as much as I can. It will be a welcome break from my first love: Semi-Solo Innovative build projects.

EDIT: Will feed back on the particulars soon (so much to think about there... brain fart).
    cddm95ace likes this.
  7. I like what I see. :cool:
  8. What do you see?
  9. I think /shop should be kept on each server. As you've been saying with the new town worlds, it's not really meant to feel like you're outside of town.
    Great idea. You have not mentioned it, but doing it this way allows you room to introduce other ways to earn 'tokens'. As someone else in the thread mentioned, lots of people here are not interested in hunting mobs in dangerous situations. They love building, and love mining. I hope you come up with ways to give tokens for other achievements in the game, other than mob slaying/dungeon diving!
    EG.
    - Build events
    - Earned from simple time spent in EMC (loyalty/veterancy),
    - Mining/Building challenges (EG. You cut 10,000 wood with an axe, you broke 10,000 blocks with a pick, You placed 10,000 blocks). Similar to the MCMMO plugin but rewarded with tokens.

There is a tonne of stuff I could say on this, but as you've provided no details on how this will work, I have nothing to give feedback on. I'll wait for more info, and based on that, give feedback and voice common concerns with whatever system of multi-player you use. :)
    Again, given my experience so far of your updates/changes, I'm confident you'll release a balanced and entertaining adventure. :)
    I VERY much look forward to this.
    All sounds great. I've played 2 other servers that used this sort of idea. It worked fairly well. But it also often reduced their income, and it was always unclear what 'perks' players had. So players didn't know what to expect from other players. What they were capable of, or what extra service they were able to perform. Due to there being no easy way to know what 'perks' different players had. Suffice to say, it created some confusion. IE. Packages simply means everyone knew exactly what a 'Diamond' Supporter name could do/not do...
    OK, that commend didn't make much sense... NM, you'll see when we get there. :)
    OK, cool. Probably won't partake, unless it's the easiest way to get some credits to do things I want. But good thing to have to keep the pesky little gamer kids out of my hair. :)
    Guilds - YAY :)
    Forum page - YAY
    Cross-server chat - Yes!
    I can be part of/form multiple Empires on all servers, 1 per server max. - Cool! Can spread my Empire globaly
    Empire Achievements - Great!
    Res flags by empire group - Great!

I dunno what else to say. Brilliant, perfectly planned. This will change the game for me. In a very cool way. It's what EMC SHOULD be. It's where Minecraft should have gone long ago.
    Great! We've had the heads up on this for a long time, so nothing new to see here. This continues to be the #1 update I am waiting for! :)
    Questions: Teleporting from Empire to town.
    1. Will this allow us to transport blocks using inventory/enderchest from town to empire and back?
    2. Will we have /vault access inside Empire areas? (I hope we do. And I can elaborate on this if people wish)
    3. Can anyone use the Empires teleport? (Not just the 'members' of the Empire)
    4. if yes to 3, Can Empire owner restrict access to the 'teleport' like the Towny plugins flag to allow/disallow public to teleport?

Quests! Great idea. And I've seen this implemented very simply on one server.. won't say, advertising. You are able to 'accept' 1 of each type of quest at a time (storyline/one-off quests, daily quests, random/event quest). You can complete it, or discard it as you wish. Quests are usually to collect various items. This is was really cool. People would complete these every day and earn 'tokens' to spend on things. It kept people logging in every day to complete quests.

Cool! the more the merrier. Also Same server as had the 'quests' also had mini-adventures that were simply made, and lots of fun. Like the adventure mods people make, you were lead around to various 'NPC's solving puzzles, defeating mobs. Communication was done with signs and books, but I think Aikar you can do that much better with chat screen messages. :)Can't wait to see how these all turn out.

Personally not interested. And I am still against PVP period. It attracts the wrong sort of player IMO. Even if nothing is carried over from PVP to Survival, or vice versa. I'd rather EMC had no people interested in PVP. :)But I realise EMC WILL have a PVP server, and am glad at least that nothing is shared between PVP and Survival.
    I'm not saying those who like PVP are a problem, but PVP always increases the number of troublesome players.
    Rewards? Not sure how that will work. But sounds interesting. I'd love to try this when it's released. :)I do love hardcore survival, if there is a point to it. lol
    OK... cool i guess. I'm not sure what the advantage in bigger plots is exactly. I don't mind either way. :)though I think 'more' town server's isn't a good thing. Just splits the community up even more.
    However, the 'Empires' and 'Guild' communications should link people enough that it won't matter too much I hope.
    I plan on building in the wild, because it'll allow me an 'Empire' spanning up to 3k x 3k area. Which is what I prefer. And town doesn't spawn mobs etc, so I have little interest in Town, other than building a shop or entertainment things.
    607 and Aquazzz like this.
  10. ill be your friend he he he
  11. To kind of make wild land claiming a bit less over powered with teleporting, why don't you make it so you can only teleport from a certain location, like you have to right click the dragon egg to teleport back? I don't know. Also, if you will be able to in claim the land, you could just go mining and pick right back up and move to a new spot. To lower abuse of this, you should give a 1 day coll down time to wait before you can move.
  12. we should make sure land cannot be claimed very close to spawn and close together either. i have the scary thought of a group surrounding a spawn of a world with claimed land so noone can pass.
  13. IcecreamCow stated that. Here is the thread
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/empire-wild-policy.33309/
  14. I havent played here in the last 2 weeks there's your proof mojang hasnt added anything new for someone who seeks adventure and a fun challenge, i have been looking torwards modpacks for that there is your proof.
    PS: i have been here for over 1 year and enjoyed it so...
  15. That was the plan, that while your land may encompass 50 chunks, one chunk is "Headquarters" and that is where you can teleport. And there may be potential to establish other Headquarters at high cost (Ie like claiming new land, but still attached to same empire)

Tokens is a system, one that gives us infinite possibilities to implement on how to earn them :) And a reason for releasing all this information ahead of time, so players can suggest ways too!

There is a pinned thread on DT and some others, I suggest reading those, but full on DT implementation is still changing even today (Recently redesigned some thoughts on how to enter it in order to break it up to 4 parts to release to the community quicker). The fight itself is something I def want to keep a surprise until beta testing (then ill try to get the beta testers to keep quiet to public....)
    But the gist is, needs 5 players (enforced, but also purely due to the challenge of the event), gear will be provided (cant use your own), everyone participating will receive a massive amount of challenge tokens, enough to redeem for 1 dragon egg.

It could go both ways, I'm leaning towards more income. Most servers seem to give perks permanently for 1 time purchase, and yeah ala-carte could def hurt them there. There will be benefits for constantly supporting, benefits to purchase multiple months worth at a time, benefits to maintaining an active subscription, and will open door for adding even more things (Some perks will be pay once for perm benefit)

Residences actually will change over to a pay-once-keep-forever style, but due to that, the overall cost of what a residence will cost money wise will need to increase.

But, thats still a bit off, we will figure that out later.

1) Yes. See http://empireminecraft.com/threads/...-for-what-is-to-come.35977/page-2#post-686871 on why its harmless to the economy to allow teleporting to farther out.
    2) Only on Headquarters
    3/4) It will be powered by Residences in itself, so yes there will be flags on who can TP to it.

Again, not a full fledged pvp server idea. it wouldn't be a main advertising campaign either. It would be "of those who do find us, letting them see their is an option for optional minor pvp play".

as said, don't have all the details yet, just rough idea :) Goal will be to provide at least some reason to go into Dystopia. Maybe to earn SUPER GOD GEAR XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXI that one shots herobrine.

As said in a previous reply, it would not segment town at all. The new town will be transparent with the old.
  16. Same with yours. You have a good framework for an argument, but you don't fill it up. You mention spectator mode for PvP servers, which was already a reality through plugins. Nothing new there, and in fact, now many PvP servers either have to take the easy route of disabling Mojang's tiny feature, or rewriting codes and permissions so that things can become compatible and run smoothly once again.

Blocks are not features, they are items. In fact, blocks make it so that server maps change, since new blocks often come with new terrain generation, which ruins a lot of maps and creations. Terrain generation is a huge pain in the butt, even for players. It breaks even the smallest farms.

AFK farming encourages people to not be present at the computer, so how are they contributing to the community? If things are too easy, people usually get bored faster and start to leave or not be present often. That is a fact of everything in life. Books, movies, games, jobs, classes, etc. Its directly related to psychological income. The more you work for something and the more effort and dedication you put into it, the happier/better you feel about it. AFK farmers get that feeling from building their farms. But the people who buy their iron barely have to work for it, leading to less of a sense of accomplishment.

Claiming a sense of community for your private server isn't really being honest. The private server did not create that community, the community feeling was already there beforehand. The private server is just a small part of your already created community feeling.

The big servers against big YouTubers part is also wrong. Just a few weeks ago, EMC was asking the community about advertising via big YouTubers, and we are encouraging people to create videos about EMC. The problem is, like Aikar said, that Mojang is just focusing on features for short term maps. EMC is focused on sustainability, and Mojang is not. Mojang could care less about servers who don't want to change out their maps due to changes, they could care less about the long term overall. EMC and other large servers are not a good form of advertising for them, but YouTubers who constantly showcase different maps and stuff, that gives them the advertising they want.

Modding API, an enable/disable function for individual mods, and ways for servers to install mods onto clients for players, making the players life easier. Every server could so much with that, even just in the UI (for server mods) spectrum of ideas.
  17. - Please don't overdo Mini games. Playing normal EMC should give greater rewards than mini games.
    - Please don't forget about the old road map, what about Shop System / Stock Exchange System? Current system fails to find/search/match offers...
    AlexChance likes this.
  18. Stock exchange? This is minecraft, man.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.