The big debate on EMC ( religious one )

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ww2fan168, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here is the problem with the "rude" assumptions in a religious debate. This image to me is offensive. IT is a Nasa composite that says JEW SUN. This image to me is an afront to the intelligence of men but to others its the very idolic premise of the accomplishments of man.

Not to go on about you pepper, I love your curiosity and that you have went to find these images and share them. The original artist is the one that I have a problem with.

Edit: I apologize for multiple posts. As I was finishing my post others had been posted. it was not my intent to post three in a row.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. I see jev sun
    SoulPunisher and Sgt_Pepper4 like this.
  3. I've always lived by this simple tenet: Politics and Religion are best not discussed among friends. The reason being, if that I've often found that these two topics can often result in a loss of said friendship. Or, at the very least, it results in hurt feelings. I rarely state my opinions on such matters, unless I know that they align with the person I am speaking to because I don't wish to stir up trouble. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe, THAT is the only opinion I will state :) Let's all just go back to discussing Minecraft, shall we?
  4. SoulPunisher and Kephras like this.
  5. You see differently than I do. Which I believe is the point I was making earlier :D

Jews in the mainstream today are(largely) considered those of "Jewish" faith or those peoples that live in the STATE of Israel yet Jesus said that with his death the Nation of Abraham, Israel belonged to a new people. It belonged to Christians. (Paraphrasing. I have the actual verses saved somewhere if someone is interested I could spend the time to find them) That Israel and the chosen people of God were no longer the Jews of the time but that his death was the passing of the torch, the new covenant.

In many christian Ideologies Catholics and Jews are both pagans and not just another religion but all out enemies of christianity. Which again brings up the whole being rude thing. I understand mannerisms and political correctness but delving into a religious debate is usually going to end with statements that are offensive to someone.
  6. It says J E V S U N. For Jupiter Earth Venus Saturn Uranus Neptune. The letters help designate where the planets are since they are so small from Voyager's perspective. Also there are blown up images on the sides to show that a few pixels indeed registered each planet's reflected light from the Sun, a big ball of plasma.
    SoulPunisher, Kephras and ShelLuser like this.
  7. 2015: The Year America Was Absolutely Offended By Everything. Instead of stripping people of their opinions, we must learn to respect them. There's always going to be someone that doesn't agree with you, not much can be done to change that. People are free to voice their favorite food and political views, so what's so bad about religious beliefs?
  8. The respect for a belief or disbelief should lie in the believer. Basically, a person doesn't need to learn to respect someone's beliefs. However, everyone should have the right to believe whatever they want to.

If someone believes that the earth is truly flat, I will never respect that belief and my respect for that person would plummet drastically. However, I would lay down my life for the right for them to believe that, regardless of how misguided it may be.
    Kephras and khixan like this.
  9. If someone believes that the Earth is round without any doubt, I will not respect that belief and my respect for that person would plummet drastically. However, I would lay down my life for the right for them to believe that, regardless of how misguided it may be...

Perhaps slightly condescending? Elitism in the religion of science. Who would have thought?

10. That is all.
  11. Is the Earth that big on the moon's horizon?
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  12. Just in case, here's an image straight from NASA's website of an "Earthrise" from the Apollo 8 mission. One can observe the curved shadow that occurs on Earth from light on the sun in the image.
    Kephras likes this.
  13. Probably not. I pulled it from here, where there's a whole lengthy debate on the legitimacy of said image. The point I was making wasn't really about the accuracy of that particular picture, but the ridiculousness of Gawa's statement. Men and women orbit the earth every day in the ISS, we've had satellites up there for decades, and there are footprints from twelve extremely brave men on the lunar surface dating back as far as 1969 which I consider ample proof that the Earth (and indeed any heavenly body we can observe) is anything but "flat."
    Maybe I should've linked this instead:

There are people who dare to dream, and there are ones too small-minded to comprehend those dreams. If we're talking about what we find offensive, the latter offends the hell out of me.
    SoulPunisher and georgeashington like this.
  14. Based on the image I found from NASA, it looks as if NASA didnt have the cameras on the moon in 1969 and the 1970's to make such a detailed picture of the Earth from the moon. So the size and detail of Earth kind of tipped me off that maybe something is up with that picture.
  15. Yeah NASA has loads of cool pictures. From the Earth to stars and galaxies beyond our reach.
  16. Ninja Sun cut us in half lol.
  17. Okay this is off subject but while looking at Apollo images on Nasa's website, I found this amazing picture of Florida experiencing morning. It's beautiful. We live on a beautiful planet. Anyone want to stop and smell some roses with me?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.