Supporting 1.3 Server Reset

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by autumnrain26, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't mean to be a thorn, and I don't want to get anyone worked up on this any more than they already are, so if either of you feel egged on let me know, and I'll stop the questions. I'm just trying to get to the logic.

Personally, I agree that if I had built something out in the wild that took real time (as opposed to the spawner), I would be fighting tooth and nail to keep the reset from happening, but I would be going about it in a completely different fashion that appeals to the players that don't have anything in the wild.
  2. Also what i was saying with the person who saw that the kid was going to fall off, ONLY stop them when they need to be stopped, dont stop them while things are fine. And that goes with the reset too. We dont NEED a reset to play 1.3 without problems, but in the last reset we really did NEED to reset do to issues. So we really shouldnt reset anything yet, since we will have no actual issues playing in 1.3.
  3. What I want from you - Explain to me why you think having jungle biomes is more worthy than having everything coming in this patch.

According to your logic - that was not worth it either. They could have cheaply sold jungle saplings in the /shop to get jungle trees into the server. That is all you get out of the biome.

So a reset for jungle trees is greater than

Temples, new village features, new naturally spawning items that will not spawn in already explored areas.

This patch has a lot of really fun and exciting things. Who are you to say what is worthy and what is not?
  4. Whoa whoa whoa... Where exactly were you saying any of that in this:

Maybe I'm reading something different, but I see nothing about helping him when he needs it.

And as far as the 1.3 problems, that's what I'm trying to get at. Use THAT logic to convince people considering a reset. People keep falling back to this I don't want to lose my structure business, and that's not going to get anywhere with the people who have nothing in the wild.

There are soooo many people who don't touch the wild, other than to mine. So many more than the people who have bases out there. Several members have spawners, but I've seen a 50/50 split on people who have them and care or say go ahead with the reset.

There's plenty of perfectly good reasons why this reset doesn't need to happen. Plenty of reasons that would convince players who never touch, or only mine in the wild, to say neigh to the reset. Think about it.

Maybe I'm trying to teach marketing to engineers or software people (Aikar :p), but that's how you get your way.
    Don't come into my office and tell me how the new server has 512 GB of ram and 48 processors, running server 2008 r2 and all these widgets, I don't care. Tell me how much money it will save me, having everyone login a minute faster each day (lets say 2000 users * 1/60 hours saved per user = 33.3 hr). If I'm paying an average of 30 bucks an hour to these people I'm saving a thousand bucks a day. Not only will I approve it, I'll probably even yell at you and ask why this wasn't implemented before.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  5. They arent important, in fact i hate them. But they caused chunk loading glitches, and those cliffs that were endless that were just straight walls up. Once again, the last reset was NEEDED, this one is not. Plus, temples and pyramids= exaggerated mines. The tnt traps wont work for most people, except diamond users. I wouldnt call them exciting...
    Its kind of hidden in the first sentence:p
  6. thecontroler isn't saying "there is a edit button use it"?
  7. could not agree more

going out 50k ever again would be pointless when you know the next tiny update is going to get a reset, the wild would be pointless to build in ever and EMC would lose any connection to being a "survival" server at ALL, and become strictly a "economy" server thats all about rupees.

There are a LOT of us that feel if this reset goes through we wont be rebuilding anything in the wild ever again, and I think we will lose a portion of those people from emc completely. Indeed, we have ALREADY been seeing a rash of long time members leaving recently, and it will only get worse if we do a reset for the minor update and so soon after the last one.

Some members arent concerned with how much hard work gets destroyed by resets OR by long time loyal supporters leaving; their main concern is there own convienience.

@melody: sure, even if there was reset monthly people would build in the wild, if you consider small dirt huts and making the wasteland that exists outside every wild spawn "building", but no one in their right mind would put any serious amount of effort or resources into building anything in wild if resets are that often. It all depends on what you would rather see, epic grandeous large scale structures that show peoples creativity and hard work on a large scale (as in larger then 60x60 or 120x120 that is available in town) or dirt houses and wastelands from material scavanging... because after this, thats all the wild will be good for.
  8. @melodytune Also, we are a vanilla server. Vanilla minecraft singleplayer doesnt have a reset button, so neither do we. We only reset when we cant use our minecraft server worlds like they were supposed to be. ex=chunk loading issues.
  9. this was already done in multiple threads on this topic already. as alex said, lets have official thread to consolidate all these discussions and present our points of view.
    DogsRNice likes this.
  10. You miss read the post. I did not suggest we reset the entire server every month. My suggestion was the PRA be made larger. Say 30K blocks in every direction. Then that area be reset on a regular basis and leave the area past 30K as only reset when something would happen that would make it unplayable. It seems like a nice compromise to me.

This is a silly comment. We have a lot of things that are not in a vanilla minecraft single player game.
    IE: town, /nether, /store, rupees etc...
  11. They will work. Anyone can ignite tnt, only diamond can place it, in the wild.
  12. Oh, i did not know that!:eek:
    30k is a long ways to walk. A 30k block PRA is way too big. Seriously, silly? What is silly is your argument and ideas. And did you know that town is there so that players can build after gathering resources from the VANILLA wild? The only thing in the wild that isnt vanilla is the locked chests, but they are expensive so people only make them when needed. The reason we have /nether, /town, and /wild is so that we dont have to walk across the town map just to go to the nether/wild. The rupees are so that we dont have to throw blocks at each other for trading. And they help eliminate scamming. That was seriously the silliest and worst evidence for non vanilla i have ever heard...
  13. So let me get this straight. Any kind of compromise is off limits because you are to lazy to walk a good distance away to get to a safe place to build? Hmmm. Okay.
  14. ooo cool now i can HAVE tnt!!!! and one day i may use it
  15. Its funny because im 55k blocks away on smp6, and that has taken hours to get out there. Why would communities want to spend hours just walking back? You do realize that a PRA with a radius of 30k basically eliminates all the bases people have made except for a select few... Hmmm. Okay.
  16. @melodytune Again, a 30k radius PRA is completely ridiculous, its pretty obvious what you are doing. You are "compromising" by suggesting something that will reset probably 99% of peoples progress. That isnt compromising, that is just a way of hiding that you want a server reset. Exactly how do you benefit from a reset? Do you enjoy it when other peoples time and effort are wasted because a few people are whining about temples and pyramids? Do you have something against wild communities? Seriously, i want to know.
  17. I would totally be onboard with increasing the PRA to 30k and if its plausible, I actually think its a very good idea. If you really think about it, the PRA as it is right now has never been reset, so in essense the enitre wild is the PRA, since it has been reset 1 once since I've been here and the official PRA has never been reset.

jkjkjk, look at it this way, as it stands right now it doesnt matter how far out you go, you are in danger of building in an area that will eventually be reset, and since the PRA hasnt been reset since the last wild reset, it could be argued that the PRA is the whole wild. Now, if you could walk to a certain distance and be out of danger of being reset, that could solve this debate. 30k is reasonable, Im out past 50k. And if you think about it, building inside a 30k PRA would be no different than building anywhere in the wild right now.

melody and i represent opposite sides of the debate, she is for and I am against, and we have lengthy arguments on other threads.... however, she has made a suggestion that could be a viable solution, and Im onboard with it. Expanding the PRA out to 30k would work I think, now the only question is how hard would it be to do that? Is it even possible? And are we saying 15k in all directions from an outpost or 30k in all directions (so from one end of the PRA to the other would be 30k or 60k)?
  18. Sure.

It is not ridiculous. 30K was just a number I was throwing out. 20K could be equally effective. Do you honestly think that wild communities would not "move" to a zone that would be safer for their building? Yes It would create some work at first but then the people who want to build giant towns would be safer from resets. The reason I think the area should be so large is because the number of people who use the wild to farm materials is a larger number than those building in the wild.

I have been very avid and vocal about my views that a reset is in the best interest of the overall community. I am not hiding anything.

I benefit by having the opportunity to see the new stuff while I am out exploring and mining. I benefit by seeing (what I truly believe) the best options for the communities well being come to be.

No. Do you enjoy making the game experience less fulfilling to others because you do not want to have to walk a little extra distance? New content is an amazing thing that players do not get to take advantage of in most games. Most games charge you for content and call it expansions. Why do you not want to take advantage of what is being given to us to make the game more enjoyable? Then call those who want it whiners?

Not at all. I am part of a wild community. We have put a massive amount of time and effort into building. You know what we are currently doing - instead of crying about what we knew was going to happen anyhow. We made an emergency evacuation plan and discussed options on how to do everything again - bigger and better. Then we went right back to building our community. Know why? Because we listened to the admins when they said that the wild was not a safe or permanent place to build.
  19. 1. Do you realize how hard it would be to move LLO?
    2. I know.
    3. Download the snapshot and be amazed for a few minutes, then realize that it isnt that exciting.
    4. If you are fulfilled by a temple and pyramid, you need larger expectations. So what you are saying is "lets make the big communities who care about the wild and have put tons of effort into their cities move 25k blocks out because the people who want to see temples and pyramids are too lazy to move out 5k." I do take advantage, once this comes out i will walk out more then 5k blocks into unexplored wilderness and i will find them. Some people are whining, they are complaining about having to walk out so far to get resources.
    5. I cant think of a counter:p

You have a semi good plan, but i think it would be better to double the distance to the edge of the PRA, and then have i set at on a weekly timer. Then, no one ever has to go far to collect resources, the communities can be close enough to return to town when needed, and most current structures will stay intact. Then make a new "1.3 spawn" like 125k blocks in a direction where no one has explored, and it might have to be different for each server. Or just find a direction with little exploration, and put all of the spawns in that direction. Is that a reasonable idea?
  20. jkjkjk, I am having a hard time understanding your opposition to a larger PRA. You have already stated you are out @ 55k, so a PRA @ 30k or under would leave your wild base untouched. Furthermore, increasing the size of the PRA (which, currently, isn't really doing what it supposed to since it hasn't actually BEEN reset, periodically or otherwise) seems much simpler a solution then having to go to each smp individually an locate an area to set up a "1.3 spawn"... also, your idea of setting up a "1.3 spawn" is only a bandaide and doesnt address the main issue, which is reseting the whole wild for every subsequent update. I mean think about it, are we going to have a 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 spawn when they come out as well? That doesnt seem logical to me. Increasing the size of the PRA or even creating another ZONE (call it the wastelands or barrens or something) that is much further out that is free from frequent resets for updates, those seem like possible solutions. So, you'd have the smallest area (the protected spawn), the next smallest are (the PRA as it stands now) and then the largest area (named whatever). People will travel to 30k, which isnt that hard really, if they want to begin work on a city or project and want to keep it from being reset, if they arent concerned about longevity, then they are welcome to build with in the larger PRA... and lets face it, the PRA hasnt been reset in over 2 months, so it really isnt even that frequently that the PRA gets reset.
    AlexChance likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.