Supporting 1.3 Server Reset

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by autumnrain26, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It has nothing to do with temples or pyramids. There is a lot of visual things happening. It will not take a lot of time walking into the wild before people will notice that the majority of the server is not up to date. I can guarantee you, that the top priority for new players looking at servers is if it up to date or not.
    hayleycolgan and IcecreamCow like this.
  2. A majority of EMC's players are young and of the kind of "just let me play and build stuff"... the default goal of minecraft.

Noone will ever say "omg that grass should of been 3 blocks lower than that", because they wouldn't know it should be. Only mojang knows the fine details of the world generation.

This update is not bringing some massive change in scenery, and even if it did, the pyramids templates and terrain will be destroyed in a week and thats what new players see anyways.

I voted for the last one, even though me and some friends built a lot in the wild, as it had many benefits of resetting.

The cons GREATLY outweigh the pros in this reset.

This one, the OP has done a pretty good job explaining how little gain there is in resetting.

cleaning up wastelands is as simple as invoking a periodic reset. Pyramids and templates would only be there for the first week or so, then they will be griefed/destroyed, and new players wont see them anyways.

Destroying months of work to get 1 week of seeing some useless structure, I can't compute how that can be compared.
    AlexChance and jkjkjk182 like this.
  3. ignoramoose said:
    The pros are:
    2) We stay up to date (advertising and all, being able to say a 1.3 server)

Right now I feel like 2) is vastly so (important) in order to bring in new members and maintain the server.
    I'd prefer if you didn't edit my sentences when you quote me...

Here's what I still haven't gotten answered, and why I'm leaning towards a reset (only slightly) until someone explains this. The main point for the "no reset" is that you are going to lose what is built in the wild.

So does that mean the wild will never reset? When is it acceptable then to reset the wild? The buildings, spawners, etc are only going to grow in number....
  4. I've seen the question asked before, and it was from a time well before I joined EMC, but what about just having the wasteland come back and have it be generated by 1.3? I assume there is a reason behind removing the wasteland, or perhaps there never was such a thing on EMC and I am confused by a post I thought I read LOL

To be more clear (if the wasteland used to exist):
    -Why not bring back the wastelands and have that be 1.3 generated?
  5. How about we all just be happy that there will be new content out in this update?
    HylianNinja and LZBZ_DW like this.
  6. Well... The Wasteland actually existed prior to the Wilderness. Difference was, there was no Live Map in the Wilderness. Once the 1.0 update happened, the Wasteland was reset and renamed to Wilderness as to avoid confusion among newer players, as well as some performance fixes that I couldn't possibly comprehend. Also, two Nether Worlds was a big issue, though where I lived (SMP2) we did not have a Wilderness, but only a wasteland.

I feel like what I just typed made no sense at all.
    oidgod likes this.
  7. It actually cleared up quite a bit for me. Thanks for the reply.

Unless I read it wrong, you are basically saying the wasteland and the wilderness are the same thing with different names, and there was a period of time that they overlapped and both existed at the same time. Right?
    Crazy1080 likes this.
  8. When the time comes that drastic changes are done to the wild (such as new biomes, new height limits, IE 1.2) then it becomes worth it. Also the fact the periodic reset area simply could not work unless a reset occured was all the reason to do it for 1.2...

Those added TREMENDOUS benefits to EMC. Everyone would notice if jungles were nowhere to be found, and people would of continued to complain that the spawn was a wasteland that couldnt be reset like newer servers.

But this update? all we gain is a silly pyramid and a temple.... Neither of which are very important to MC, and purely aesthetics.

If you want to see a pyramid, go to SMP1 and see Justins.

The problem here is were talking about destroying a ton of peoples awesome work, just so a SELECT FEW (those who play EMC in the first 2 weeks) can see a pyramid and/or temple close to spawn.

Then 2 weeks later, those are destroyed (show me a desert close to spawn that isnt mined into a wasteland), and now what we got? No pyramids yet again unless you journey farther out.

Then you walk in it, go "ooh, ahhh....", land on a TNT trap and die, then you dont care to see another pyramid again, you return to mining and building.
  9. The last time it was reset, it was due to glitched areas, and you have no idea how bad the wild used to be if you werent here before. Seriously, this is nothing.
  10. If it does return, and I hope it does, Wastelands should be the zone that doesn't ever reset, and Wilderness gets full resets on major updates.

Wastelands being the one that holds the wastelands makes sense imo...
  11. @hunter1256

Right. I agree this update has really no value to reset the wild. But if the point you are trying to make is that people's stuff will get reset, then it still doesn't make sense to let them build bigger and bigger structures before the reset (let's say for 1.4). I'm not saying that the reset adds much, i'm saying that the argument against it is illogical...

And I've seen justin's pyramid.

@jkjkjk182 - yeah, i was here for the last reset, have been here a whopping two weeks longer than you :p
    Copied from above "I'm not saying that the reset adds much, i'm saying that the argument against it is illogical..."
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. I think the point he was trying to make was that while all of us who build in the wild know its always a risk itll be reset, that its better to be "resets only when absolutely necessary" instead of "resets all the time".

As it stands now, resets are suppose to be a "only if absolutely necessary", so people can build in the wild and enjoy it for months on end, but if we go the route of resetting for every tiny detail, wild building becomes completely pointless and you'll get no enjoyment out of it.
  13. Correct. I also remember the wild world and when utopia was just a world, not a server.
  14. It is called paraphrasing.

Your post was long and I was only concerned with speaking about a small portion of what was said.

It is a legit aspect of argumentative writing. I did not change what you said. I took the part out that I wanted to respond to.
  15. The original sentence: Right now I feel like 1) isnt that important, but 2) is vastly so in order to bring in new members and maintain the server.

The modified sentence: Right now I feel like 2) is vastly so (important) in order to bring in new members and maintain the server.

Its only 4 words difference. This isn't twitter, there's not a character limit. Frankly its just because I know I didn't write it that way and have to then got back and check why its changed.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  16. It agree we should reset the wild when 1.3 comes out because people were warned to not build in the wild. If I was new and I went to the wild and saw that it was a wasteland then I would felt like I was lied to.

Hey check out our 1.3 Server with only stuff from 1.7 beta!

And we already are losing awesome members (Dark_Liz even though i don't know why she left) it would just add another reason to why to leave emc. For me emc will always rule and I will always play emc. Plus advertising oppertunities with the bigger biomes would be awesome and also Eventually we will reset the wild so why not now before the dirt shacks turn into cobble stone fortresses and the forts turn into cities. I think JustinGuy should declare a warning to start emptying your chest in the wild and to relocate to the town. Now a counter-argument is that it is said osmewhere that if you do not like to live in town you can live in the wild but if you do chose to live in the wild it is the WILD and will never be 100% safe from monster, greifing, IceCreamCow, or world Resets.
    mba2012 and matthew12hydro like this.
  17. So if anyone has also read my prior posts in other threads, I also said:
    Stating such, When I explained it to ICC, I said that since there are, as of yet, no new biomes being added, there won't be a need for a reset as the items would be there further out, and that they could look at the live maps and zoom out to 50k + in a direction away from travel lines using the spawn as a central point and create an additional outpost in each world, or possibly have like NSEW outposts but at 50k and call them Extreme Outposts or something. This is a way to work around a potential reset.
  18. No. We add everything, because we use an updated minecraft version... The wasteland in the wild will be back as soon as we can sign on. The last reset was due to new biomes, and a new height limit. Nothing new is being added. The large biomes, like Aikar said, is a world type, so we might never get them. I seriously dont see how anyone can consider this update worthy of a wild reset, since there is nothing worth reseting for...
  19. So, you decided to create yet another thread voicing your own complaints?

If you have to "repeat myself repeatedly", maybe it's time to stop repeating the repetitious repetition?

A lot of people have been discussing it - and there's a lot of "half right" information too. Some of the information you've stated is not correct. (As far a I can tell, you can't plant cocoa beans. I've tried, and it doesn't seem to work, except in snapshots.)

Nothing has been confirmed. We don't even know if it will be called "1.3". It's all pure speculation.
  20. Jeb said it will be called 1.3. Look at this http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Cocoa_Plants
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.