Supporting 1.3 Server Reset

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by autumnrain26, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So instead of the players - doing some extra work to get reestablished. What you are saying is you want Justin to do a bunch of extra work while the man is already, likely, running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to deal with his large life transitions - and getting us ready for a lot of big MC changes?
  2. Well technically, EMC is a business and the players are customers... That is exactly standard procedure. If you can do some work to save your customers trouble, you do it.

@Hayley: A reset of the Periodic Reset Area is all that's needed :)
  3. /Disagree

This is basically a non profit organization. People make donations to play here, not payments. Most people play for free.

The costs of hosting a server are huge. Not including the website - and time spent. I would be doubtful that Justin is raking in the profits. If he were I would hope he would, first, spend it by paying the staff. :)
  4. also, there is one thing alot of people arnt realizing here: a reset for 1.3 will destroy all hopes of building in the wild.

There is no "restablishing" if we reset... If we reset for such a tiny change, its essentially establishling the death of wild colonies, as it states we will reset for every tiny change, making it pointless to build anything in the wild.

Under the CURRENT ideology, that the wild will only be reset when ABSOLUTELY necessary, you can still build and enjoy your creations for months on end... as drastic changes such as new biomes is not a commonly occuring thing.

But if we reset for such a tiny change, why wouldn't we reset for every tiny change, which then destroys every hope of ever building in the wild, putting a ton of players in a very bad spot: not being able to play the game the way they want to.
  5. Well, legally it is a business... It's part of the Kalland Labs LLC. Doubt he's raking in profits, but it still is a business =P
  6. You cant disagree with a fact...
  7. This feels a bit over dramatic. We differ in our opinions of what constitutes "major change" People will still build in the wild. Even after a reset. People would do so even if there was a planned reset monthly.

What do you do with your builds after they are built?

Sit and stare at them? Nothing. Most builds are just to look pretty. This game is about building.

So buck up, get back on your horse, then get out there and build.

I think it is good for the wild communities to have to start over. People get bored in town because you have such limitations. You build something on your lot - then what. Nothing. Short of resetting your lot - you are done.

So in the wild you are basically doing just that. You build something nice, then you move on to a new project. A reset does not upset this flow.

I personally take it as a challenge. Like living a nomadic life. You know you are going to have to pack up and move some day. My advice to you in the future. Do not build things you do not mind leaving behind.
  8. I'm not disagreeing with the idea that it is a business. I am disagreeing with the idea that we should expect the non paid staff to break their necks on unnecessary things.

Edit:
    Just wanted to add. I, as a player, am perfectly happy to take on more work - like reestablishing my wilderness builds - so the staff can avoid having to do extra, unnecessary thing - like run around trying to update the world chunk by chunk - as was suggested earlier.
  9. I disagree with this. I do honestly spend most of my time staring at my builds, because i xp grind.
    pat2011 likes this.
  10. The more and more that I think about it I Really would really love a wild reset, just so that I could see a fresh wild.
  11. Oh I dont think that should be done either

I was just stating that in situations like this it is appropriate for the developer to do work so consumers dont.

Well, I don't think people who do as you say are the ones really being vocal against a reset (minus the spawner people)

But there are plenty of people like myself and the LLO that are building giant cities, a never ending project that continues to get bigger.

My colony is nowhere near done, and so many ideas still to finish... Eternia 1.0 got cut off pretty early in development at least, and I supported the last reset, but this one, people have had alot more time and built alot more now.

http://aikar.co/db/mc/eternia2/

This is of headquarters and a lil bit of other peoples stuff...
    Call_Me_DeJaja likes this.
  12. That can be achieved w/o a full reset... All justin has to do is issue a periodic area reset.mostly everything outside of the PRA still looks fine...
    jkjkjk182 and pat2011 like this.
  13. Perhaps the PRA sh0uld be made larger? I do not think that the PRA is large enough to really establish an updated chunk of wild for new content - It takes about 60 seconds to walk through.

I am just wondering if this debate would happen less if there was an area WAY outside the spawn that was truly safe to build in. Say anything over 30K in distance - would never be reset again - with the exception of a new biome (if that is what people out there want) Then the area inside 30K is reset on a semi-regular basis?
    pat2011 likes this.
  14. If making spawns isnt too hard, i think maybe an idea could be like make a special spawn the moves out 100k blocks every 2 months? It could be the resource spawn, and it could go 1st 2 months east, then west the 2nd 2, then north the 3rd 2, then south the 4th 2? I suspect that sometime in those 8 months there would be a complete reset, so it shouldnt get too confusing. I suspect that there are very few players who have homes 100k blocks out, so this shouldnt interfere with 99% of EMC. And before the spawn would move, there would be 2 week warning so people could get back without worrying about being stranded. If they are stranded, just kill yourself and lose the resources you gathered. It wouldnt be a huge deal if you somehow managed to miss the 2 week warning, and if you did miss it, it would be completely your fault. This warning would be in game, and maybe on the site.
  15. To lift peoples spirits if it resets ICC and justin can do 10x rupees thing ( its very old )
  16. So what you're saying is, once again, don't reset because there's more to finish, and the projects have gotten so big. Let us make them even bigger before the eventual reset?

(I'm now officially leaning towards no reset, but I'm still going to combat this illogical reasoning or any illogical reasoning for that matter).
  17. If you saw a five year old who was starting to go across the monkey bars, but you knew he wouldnt make it all the way across, you wouldnt want take him down right away so that he can restart quicker. You would let him get as far as he could so that he knew that if he put the effort in, anything he tries can be accomplished. If you cut the wild communities down now, a large number of people will feel like making a wild community is useless because they will feel like they dont have time to make the community how they want it.
  18. very good analogy..
    If my project was sitting there finished and all i did was stare at it, i wouldnt mind as much... The issue is when your unfinished project is reset. you have so many ideas in your head, then its all gone... so yes let them get bigger and finished. More time actually enjoying the things you play minecraft for: Building stuff.

If your climbing a rope and you get knocked off every time you get 10% up it, its going to discourage you from even retrying....

But if you get 90% up the rope, and fall down... you have a "I almost did it...." and your much more likely to retry.
  19. The problem with that is two fold:

1)When's the next reset going to happen?
    2) Who's 90% done, or who's finished are we going by?

Don't get me wrong, one of the things I dislike about the server is not being able to build in the wild safely. But lets say that 1.3 comes out next week. It could be 7 weeks for 1.4 or 15 weeks. Either way, its going to happen down the road, and how much time are you gaining?

On top of that, you use the case of your project being X percent done. How long is it going to take to complete, and does the whole server wait to reset for you? If not, who does it wait for?

Personally, I had a person server that took months to get anywhere near a resemblance of complete, and I still have the save and work on it. If you're building a city, it might never be done, as I know mine will never be. I completely agree with both of you that in those analogies it makes sense, but both of those are on a short amount of time. A kid can cross monkey bars in a minute or so max, and he/she gets up and tries again, I'm not sure what ropes are around now, but the ones hung from the ceiling of our gym back in the day took 10 minutes if you were tired or hurt to make it up.

The point is, someone is going to retry at something that takes them a day or so to do. You've been at these colonies now for a possible 15 or so weeks. Almost 4 months is a long stretch of time to recover and start again from, but are you going to start again (assuming the reset ends) after you've worked on the area for 8 months? a year?
  20. KEEP On resetting it til it gives us what were looking for.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.