[SUGGESTION] Updating the Tutorial

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ElfinCarrot, Jul 11, 2017.

1. As with every summer, there is an influx of new players. I came in the summer of 2015 myself. But the problem now is that the tutorial doesn't seem to have been updated since then. It had a few issues to begin with, but now as time has gone on features have been added and removed. So I'd like to suggest a few changes:
    • Removing the section of the tutorial showing that /shop exists
    • Including the /res cset option for the residence flags section
    • Mentioning protected blocks for the frontier
    • In relation to the /shop deal, mention how to find shops with /v +mall or /v +shop
    Also as a final note, removing the nether portal leading directly to the frontier at the end of the tutorial. Now I know signs say to go to town first but it's a tutorial- most people including me didn't read half the signs, and will hop straight into the frontier. I frequently visit the frontier and the usual cycle for new players who choose frontier first is:

• Think it's a normal server and the frontier will be the most active place
    • Build house out of starter materials (I've seen so many of these)
    • Try to find resources but find no luck since the frontier spawns are barren wastelands
    • Tries to talk to someone but because it's the frontier they can't use town chat
    • Leaves EMC without experiencing most of it and it's charms.
    Now I'm not saying "lock off the frontier from new players". I'm saying "get rid of the portal at the end of the tutorial leading directly into the frontier."
  2. i def think like a 2 day waiting period from the frontier wouldnt be so bad. gives people time to get some newer items from waste and then decide if they want to go out and make a base with those items
    BlitzAttack and crystaldragon13 like this.
  3. Yeah but the drawbacks of that could be debatable since it is "play your way". However the removal of the teleport going straight to the frontier, something more meant for more seasoned players, is a start
    BlitzAttack likes this.
  4. This could work but maybe also implement an override command that you can type if you feel you are ready. If people have played on a similar server before or have an alt account they are bringing on, they might not want to wait that time.
    Merek_Shadower and BlitzAttack like this.
  5. typing /shop will now take you to players shops now... So there is no need to type /v +shop.
  6. Yes but the sign still implies that /shop is a single, server run shop that never runs out and has high prices.
    AncientTower likes this.
  7. well since this is for "noobs" i guess like a /wild vet override command could be used in those cases.

this thread is more specific to noobs that arent even barely on the forums and wont know that command. thus will have to be in town to interact with players to even get out to the wild.
    jacob5089 likes this.
  8. Well... First of all +1 for the suggestion, I definitely agree that some contents is in serious need for an update.

It's the one part which sometimes also frustrates me a little bit: EMC staff don't easily call out for help from others. Note: I'm not talking about sending in suggestions or (as shown in that link) sending in material which might be used in the net setup. I'm talking about getting help from people who can actually make a difference, if you let 'm.

The tutorial is one thing, what about the new players guide? I quote:
    Can you imagine what a new player might think when they use /shop, try a shop sign only to notice that the shop is out of stock? That doesn't quite add up, now does it?

We have the contribution team, but they're actually pretty limited in the things they can do. Editing this guide isn't part of that. Which to be perfectly honest never made much sense to me: if you have people who have the potential of creating good written contents and good stuff, shouldn't you try to motivate them into using their capabilities to make things better instead of limiting them to small usually insignificant bits and pieces? Sometimes this can even go as far as requesting members to spend time on stuff where it actually remains to be seen that the invested time will be put to any use at all!

If you really want to run something in a professional way you try to use people's capabilities and use those where they're at their best. You also try to get the best people for the job, not just people who are willing to do the job. And that's something which isn't always happening, and as a result you see things like these.

I wouldn't even be surprised if a lack in motivation is also a part of the problems here.
  9. I know Krysyy and Aikar have discussed extensively about the tutorial this last week with how to improve it (new version). Not my place to say what was discussed, but as I understand this is on the top of Krysyy's list of things at the moment. :)
    crystaldragon13 and ShelLuser like this.
  10. There is one thing I do agree on for sure in this thread. I too think the new players should have to go to town and not have to option of going to the wild. I mean look at it.. every wild area outside of every wild spawn looks like a war zone and this is because new people jump out there see that and think they should do it too. I didn't see any reason when I started Not to get resources from the wild.. it looked worse than the waste and I was honestly confused, when I started, about the difference
    ThaKloned and Kephras like this.
  11. This was actually decided ages ago and we just forgot to go remove the option...

But yes, Tutorial and New Player experience is on Krysyy's list atm.
    Were working on trimming out the unnecessary information, to not overwhelm them, and were going to be revamping the quiz portion to use the chest GUI system so it's not a boring door stumble as mentioned above.

We're going to be working on videos for learning EMC instead of text on signs/books, so moving stuff out of the tutorial and into training videos.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  12. Just being curious but... when was that? I mean, one of the last times this issue got addressed it was you who commented that this also helped reduce things a bit by not giving a residence to someone who doesn't want to play in town. So I'm a little confused ;)

Even so, not that important, I think it's a good thing this has finally been decided on. As I've mentioned plenty of times I really think you're losing a lot of potentially new players because of this mess. They come into a barren wasteland yet get told that it's not for mining (as if there's much to mine ;)), can't easily ask for help and it's pretty much a dead world at first glimpse.... Definitely not very inviting to start playing in.
  13. Whoot! :D Awesome sauce Aikar.. I didn't know that but good to know. :)

and for those that want to think that it's all secret and/or what ever .. I've not been around for everything and playing catch up still .. irl and here. ;)
  14. This is slightly off topic but I wrote this earlier in a thread about being banned and even though I quoted Krysyy but I'm not sure if she read what I said.
    So yeah add a link or smth to the rest of the rules
  15. I know it is mentioned a few times (at least 2).
    http://imgur.com/a/GQ0QO
    I am sure they will take that into consideration in the next iteration of the tutorial.
  16. It is mentioned but the first time it says if you don't know an answer and I knew all the answers. I got through the tutorial questions quickly. The second time it says "If you need a reminder". I had always remembered The rules I was given and were taught to me. It doesn't specifically say you need to/should look at the rules on the forums and it also doesn't say that there are more rules. It just says "reminder" and "if you need answers".

(I still 50% blame that for my ban as I had read every single word in the tutorial( I read rules before I do something) but If that has been mentioned I don't feel like I would be where I am now)
  17. When I did the Tutorial, It was a Maze of Very easy Questions... "What is the residence sizes?" "What type of server is this?" etc. and for every question you got right, you got items and cash. Then at the end you would spawn at spawn...

The Good Old Days! hehe
    FadedMartian and Spyrovsgnorg like this.
  18. So they have updated it since you completed it. Good to know
  19. They updated it many times... The newest is the Longest and Biggest one with most info so far.
    FadedMartian likes this.