[SUGGESTION] Updating the Tutorial

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ElfinCarrot, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Sorry to hear that. I will make sure to mention this perspective while they are working on it. :)
  2. Thank you
  3. I don't really think blocking off the wild to new players is a great idea. im sorry but i live in the wild and find town quite boring. its all economy. im not saying there isn't nice builds in town because there sure are quite some amazing builds but i find my time in the wild greatly out weighing town. i personally find myself always wondering through griefed base ruins and bases in general sometimes flying thousands of blocks just to take a tour of the base myself to see what great creations the wild holds. the wild is a endless 3 million by 3 million place where gigantic builds can unfold. town is somewhere you have a 60 by 60 plot. nothing more. nothing less.
  4. Agreed.

This is why I so often yell: "Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness". The tutorial (and other parts) tries to cover so much that they totally forgot about the basic issues which truly matter. The only sneer I'll make here: I mentioned this plenty of times already, and so far I was just as many times ignored.

So I just went into the tutorial to proof you wrong (hey, I'm honest here).

The only place where I noticed mentioning of rules.emc.gs is here:

Right at the beginning, and even directly behind the teleport pads. I can't blame you for having missed that.

I also checked for /rules which is also no where to be found. I'd have expected that near the end.

Of course that's no excuse for just ignoring the rules. I mean... Every Minecraft server out there knows /rules, and if you do that:

Still...

I'm working on a guide and my opinion about some of the recent events has changed a bit. I have no love lost for MCLeaks and I also still think you should know better.

However... I also think EMC has been negligent here a bit. So many rules, so many things to read and no where does it say "don't use MCLeaks" (a small effort IMO). I can honestly understand why some players might not see the danger in using MCLeaks. No where do they make it clear that's it's all based on compromised (stolen) accounts.

IMVHO this should have been a perfect role for EMC: warn people about this the very moment it became more of a thing (for people active within the Minecraft community it was kinda hard to miss) but nothing....

I saw what Chickeneer said above.

I still posted because I think that a new tutorial only does so much. As long as the mindset doesn't change (so EMC trying to anticipate on upcoming dangers before they happen) then I don't think much is going to change here.
  5. Noone said 'block off' the wild. Just that your first step out of the tutorial would be to town, where you can chat with people and get some bearing before you head off into the wild.

It's important that they see our unique town and are able to least make judgement on whether or not to follow the 'traditional' style of town plot, do survival. bring it back gameplay.
  6. i then miss understood a message >,<
  7. Right now some people choose to exit the tutorial directly to the Frontier, and then they never get to chat with anyone, and the server looks dead.
  8. I think we need to fix this stuff soon, because the summer is when the most new people come in, and we're already half into the summer.
    I also feel like adding more complex questions would only really serve to drive off more people. I was just following some new peeps as they went through the tutorial as a social experiment, only 2 of the dozen finished it, and then those other two immediately went to the frontier and logged off
  9. Yup what you said is everything in my mind just explained more
  10. So like, why don't we build our own tutorial? :cool:

For reasons not shared in public (yet) I may have an available residence on SMP2 which also includes some building materials. I can bring in plenty of redstone & EMC (mechanic) expertise into the project (you know: rts, res. flags, message signs, etc, etc.). All things which could "make this work".

I also know a few people who are pretty good (much better than me) at building. Some even commented on this thread.

Building materials shouldn't be too much of a problem either. Heck: maybe some people feel good about sponsoring us a little bit to turn this into a TRUE community project.

This also requires a bit of careful planning, we need to devise a good strategy on what we want in it. What to explain a new player, what not, stuff like that. Basic project management if you ask me, and I'm pretty sure I'm up to that.

SO why don't we join forces and build our own EMC tutorial?

First and foremost because I think it could be an awesome fun project (plenty of players are looking for something to do). Second to show staff "how it's done" * (famous last words :D) and who knows where this may lead to...

Surely we can fit something good into one residence? Why does staff always get to have all the fun here? :D

If anyone likes this idea let me know... Sure we can set something up here.

* Please note: I mostly mean this in a joking way. There is a (little!) bit of a serious undertone, but please don't pick this up as some form of "negative criticism". Figured I'd elaborate because I sometimes do out a bit of criticism every once in a while.
  11. I think one major issue with the tutorial is players go through it and it looks sick, and so much designs... then they either go to the frontier and its all destroyed and are unable to talk and think its all empty and leave, or players join town, and are either given a res that's all empty around or are near massive builds and dont fully understand how it works.

There has to be some way to more show players how the Empire works with the different worlds and help show different communities all around the empire.
  12. The reason the update for the new tutorial has been delayed is because the build team wanted to build the new tutorial with the new 1.12 blocks
  13. Cool idea but I don't know how the end result would end up. (also utopia has more space)