[Suggestion] Tutorial Something.0

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Unoski, Mar 16, 2015.

?

Overall Opinion?

+1 59 vote(s) 90.8%
0 6 vote(s) 9.2%
-1 5 vote(s) 7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. You fixed the beginning part that I forgot to correct. Also, you didn't use the whole edit, so there are still errors. :(
    SkyDragonv8 likes this.
  2. Great idea! Also you should include in the wastelnads section, that /town doesn't work.
    SkyDragonv8 and Ultimamaxx like this.
  3. This is a great idea. All new players will get a polite and non-obtrusive message about what to do. Taking the idea even farther, what if there was a player setting that toggled tutorial mode. In tutorial mode, you can see a bunch of context sensitive tips like Skydragon Mentioned. In order to make them go away, the player will need to actually read the message to see how to turn off the messages. Other players will be able to turn them on if they want if they forget something.
    Gawadrolt and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  4. i personally think there should be a normal tutorial (that people cant skip through) that will give you the basics like this one does. and a much more advanced /help tutorial with like a place to lock chests and residence help and that sort of thing that you can direct players that after taking the tutorial still need assistance
  5. 100%

Agree
    SkyDragonv8 likes this.
  6. This is so true. I remember when I first joined. I had no clue where I was or what to do to get started, and the starter book was too long. (Seriously, who has time to read a 50+ paged book when they need to play EMC?)

I do have to say, this is the only server I have ever played that has a easily accessed tutorial in the first place.
    607 and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  7. No staff responses. ;-;
  8. +1 D:

Sooner the better .o.
  9. Pls...
    be noticed by staff...
  10. I didn't notice this suggestion before but just in case: I was wondering if you knew that something like this already exists? It's the "learn more" option at the end of the tutorial which you can also visit again by using /training.

Edit: Though when thinking about this I have no idea which topics are or aren't covered in there.. And more topics in the tutorial the better IMO. Esp. if its an extra non-mandatory section.

Edit2: And I shouldn't read & respond before drinking my coffee :) I think your idea might be doable inside that extended section.
    SkyDragonv8 likes this.
  11. A little bit. I feel that this is much more intuitive. It tells people as they are doing it. The training is sort of like a physical wiki.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  12. Most people will be in a hurry to get in and play the game, so I doubt many people do the "learn more" option. I don't remember one being available, but I was probably one of those people in a hurry to get into the game. I like this idea, because it can be easily implemented and the location of the helpful tips is a lot better than only in the tutorial where it can easily be forgotten.
    DubChef, ShelLuser and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  13. Yeah, which is another problem in itself. Many people see the "learn more" option at the end of the tutorial, few use it (you can tell if you see that someone joined the Empire yet still remains in the tutorial (doesn't get a welcome request)). More so: very few people know either the /tutorial nor the /training commands. To my knowledge they aren't mentioned in the tutorial itself, but I'm not sure about the extra section.

Which I also think could be a good feature. Allow people to run through, play the game, but make sure they'll know how to come back later on :)
    607 and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  14. I didn't know about the /training feature until a couple weeks ago.
    DubChef, ShelLuser and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  15. Looking at your beautiful edits, it would be a good idea if actual training could happen in /training instead of the studying.
    Example:
    In the Shops and Currencies Room, a place where a player could practice making a shop for some free rupees.
    "Make a shop that sells diamonds for 5r, and buys diamonds for free."
    A player would see a place the shop sign above a supplied chest in the training area and do the activity for rupees.

A redo of the training area would be nice in general.
  16. Sorry for a late staff response on this:

At the moment, the tutorial does what it is intended to do. It gives the player the instructions needed to play and forces them to complete key questions that represent an overview of the rules, to at least hope they read a little bit of them. We've gone through many designs of the tutorial and the one we have currently does the best out of the previous designs when it comes to balancing efficiency AND quality.

Maybe in the future we will look at changing the tutorial, but for now it is doing its job. We can't force the players to read every little sign and some say there are already too many. Regardless of the quality of the tutorial, there will always be those players that do not pay attention.
    607 likes this.
  17. This happens after people leave the tutorial. ;)
    ShelLuser likes this.
  18. I think many people just want to get straight to the server, and not have to fool around with tutorials. Maybe you complete the current tutorial, go to the server and experience it, and have the extended tutorial be an optional thing. Few people would willingly complete another tutorial, but what if there was an incentive? Currently, new players get a few thousand rupees upon starting (correct me if I'm wrong) but instead of having players get those rupees from a mandatory tutorial, we could make it so new players get a few thousand for completing the extended tutorial.

Also, once the players get the opportunity to go out and experience the server, and hopefully enjoy it, they would have more reason to complete another tutorial/learn more, and rupees would actually be a meaningful incentive.
    wolffpack58 likes this.
  19. +1
  20. +1
    ~Jelle68