[Suggestion] Token rewards other than mob killing.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by SkareCboi, Dec 15, 2015.

1. I get where your coming from, and ultimately it's your decision how this ends up in the long run. You want to encourage the GROUP aspect of emc, and I agree. I am horrible at group play, I am a great example of what you want to change. I sit at afk farms alot, mine alone, build alone. But I do it in the Frontier. I alone have built a passive mob farm, massive gold farm, hostile mob farm, and transportation between all of them. I single handedly did all that. Would I like company? Yes, very much so. I would love to have help building even more stuff. But it simply isn't worth the risk inviting someone to my outpost now. They could steal or destroy everything that I single handedly built. So imo, if you want to encourage group play, make it safe to invite people to outposts first, that would drastically encourage group play. I get the impression that Empires will not encourage group activity, it will force it upon us, regardless of whether they helped contribute or not.
    If you want to encourage people to play in a group, protect established outposts, give us some basic perms like build and container, and keep it cheap.
    Mr_Zulus and ThaKloned like this.
  2. Step 1: protect the outpost from griefing
    Setp 2: invite people over
    Step 3: do group activities to earn tokens
    Step 4: use tokens to protect the outpost from griefing

Something doesn't seem right... :p
  3. Well, some of us have difficulty 1 and mini bosses turned off because we like to build undisturbed in the wild, so killing is out of the question. Mining in groups is a pain because there is always 1-2 random people who keep standing where I'm mining to take my drops so thats also out of the question as well. Im no where near as skilled or have the time open to fit a schedule to attend some of these events IE due to work or family matters. So I can't attend those events either. I usually get the time to play at night when NOTHING is happening. I vote everyday as a way to get the minimum amount of tokens and occasionally will have to murder a mini boss that some guy left behind but I die so many times , I only get get like 100 tokens for that day off that. In the end I don't nearly earn as much tokens as the others because of time commitment that the others have so much of. I only suggested breeding cows/resource gathering at a high number because its the only thing to do by the time I get home and then needing to head to sleep for tomorrow.
    SoulPunisher, PenguinDJ and SkareCboi like this.
  4. Exactly my point. If this were a brand new frontier server with no previously established outposts, then the Empires system would go flawlessly. But there are many people out there like myself that already have ouposts, large ones. If we could get protection, adding people would be easy. Now the way it seems Aikar wants to do it is like this:
    Step 1: Show someone your outpost and hope you can trust them
    Step 2: Expect them to donate tokens to your oupost in exchange for membership
    Step 3: Share your hard earned builds with them in exchange for protection

One other flaw with this system is finding people to join. Right now, my outpost is a secret. There are only 5 people that know its location, and 4 of them are inactive. Say I need 450 k tokens to get my land protected, but I only have 70 k. I have to start showing people the way to the outpost so they can see if it's something they want to invest tokens in. Out of the 10 people I show my outpost to, only 2 invest in it, which leaves over half of the outpost unprotected, and now there are 8 people who know the way there, and can grief or steal from it with no consequence. This system could force me to invite griefers to my outpost, leaving it unprotected at the same time.
    Imo, Charge very few tokens to protect ouposts. Aikar has said that a town teleport will be allowed at an Official outpost, so make them extremely expensive, say 500 k tokens. That would force people to share, but AFTER your outpost is protected from griefers.
    SoulPunisher and SkareCboi like this.
  5. Everyone seems to be missing a minor detail in the establishments timeline: the Anti-griefing update. It's comes before Empires and before land claiming and is going to give a LOT of protection without needing the establishment process with tokens.
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  6. So much for a"Play your way" feature you keep posting around. Looks more like play my way and deal with it.
  7. When it comes to the design of a game such as this, there has to be an overall goal in mind for different aspects, or else you get so caught up in pleasing everyone that it becomes too easy and simple.

The overall goal for tokens has always been a currency designed around the players that are NOT in town. Townies have rupees as their focus in most regards. You gain/lose with shops, etc that will be in town. Whereas tokens are designed for the use of the non-Town projects, etc and thus require non-town actions to gain.

Overall, you have the choice of how you want to play still. You can stay in Town, you can venture in the wilderness with your difficulty on 1, you can go on a mob killing spree with your difficulty set on 10. It doesn't mean everyone gets the same rewards though. Effort begets reward.
    TromboneSteve and ShelLuser like this.
  8. So if I build and play at my outpost in the wild . Doing a non-town action. I should not be rewarded?
  9. Is what you are doing worthy of any type of reward? If you are sitting afk, obviously that isn't really effort. If you are doing something challenging that requires significant effort while at your outpost, then message me the details of where you think you deserve a token for your efforts. Maybe we'll find a solution that way.
  10. Actually you won't be rewarded, and according to management, you may have to give up rights to your own land, unless you play their way. Doesn't sound much like fun to me:(
    Roslyn likes this.
  11. Speaking as 'management', you don't own any land except your town plot at this moment. We are ADDING the ability to claim land officially. I fail to see how that is making players give up rights to 'owned' land
    ShelLuser likes this.
  12. Apart from what Krysyy said I think there's another very important thing to keep in mind here: as of right now tokens are only useful for a residence biome change. I know that more is planned, but until we know exactly how much everything will cost then I don't think we (us players) can conclude that the current token rewards aren't worth it or are not on par with the effort we put in.

I mean... Referring to Penguin up there: 7k worth of tokens with 4 months of playing events. I recently got 11k token bonus for 100 days voting. 100 days = approx. 3 months and a little bit extra. Both amounts are a bit comparable IMO. And also noteworthy is that one doesn't exclude the other. But both of them are enough to fund a biome change.

So I think it's a bit too early to comment on anything else right now.
  13. Sorry for doublepost, but...

But isn't Minecraft all about fighting monsters and mining out resources in the first place? And that is exactly the kind of effort which can reward you with tokens.
  14. I have no issues with the current system....
  15. Exactly you don't get rewarded for mining.

Terraforming 500x500 area and half slabbing it. mining takes time and effort then placing the half slabs on the flat land. And crafting 89k slabs proves it in my stats.
    Roslyn likes this.
  16. I seem to be missing something. I thought we all wanted Empire development over Dragon Tomb development because anti-grief was part of Empires.

Did I miss a thread? When were these separated? Could you explain the differences between these things, like what features belong to which project? I'm wondering if maybe I voted for the wrong thing back in October.

Also, I think Empire teleports and extending outposts farther into the frontier will help people feel more secure, but this will affect new establishments more than current ones although teleporting will allow us to remove tell-tale railways and tunnels. Will these two features be a part of an anti-grief update or Empires? Can the costs be scaled for those who play alone?
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  17. I have an idea for earning tokens! Maybe for people wanting tokens in town, you could earn it based on blocks placed/broken? Also if you make a good build, you could submit it on a staff-created Google Form or something and get tokens based on that (this suggestion would take more time from staff though).
  18. I meant pm, but I'll reply here. You get rewarded for mining in groups, but where do you see a good spot in that process to award tokens without allowing farming for individuals?

They were separated recently as the Empire project was selected by the community to come first and Aikar went through and determined which code was needed in what order. They all encompass in the same thing the community voted on so you still voted correctly if your focus was anti-griefing. Basically it's protection for the items that we currently track to instead be unbreakable. So instead of being griefed and us hunting the logs to see who did it, the blocks will not be breakable by 'outsiders' in the first place. There are a bit more logistics to go with that such as defining outsiders of a player's placed blocks, but that's it in a very rough nutshell. Anti-griefing won't require tokens.

The teleports will be a part of the Land claiming official Empires. Specific details of those are still in development, such as location, use limits, etc.
    Pab10S and ShelLuser like this.
  19. Mining solo comes to mind. Without macros/illegal mods it's impossible to auto-mine.
  20. Mining what exactly? At what frequency/blocks mined?