[Suggestion] Token rewards other than mob killing.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by SkareCboi, Dec 15, 2015.

1. I think the main thing penguin (and alot of us) would like to retain in this feature is the ability to maintain control and some level of privacy at our ouposts. It could get a bit too crowded when you have to invite 20 people to your Outpost just to have the tokens to get it established. Price per chunk will be a VERY limiting factor on how many people you have to have in your empire.
    PenguinDJ and ThaKloned like this.
  2. It will not be necessary to invite hordes of people to your outpost in order to protect it.

I think that's what a lot of the players are not seeing at this time. We DO NOT expect everyone to use tokens for basic protection. Basic anti-griefing will be default, no tokens required.

Teleports and more advanced features later on will require tokens in order to activate. We aren't giving everyone a TP back to town for free. Those that don't have an HQ with a TP can still travel to and from their outposts safely with rails, as people have been doing with limited hassle. Anti-griefing will remove the issues of players griefing the tracks. The TP makes those not necessary for people IN your outpost, though some may choose to keep them. Players won't be able to visit your outpost without you giving them rights to do so, as members.
  3. As to keep the thread on track(suggesting other stuff)
    Have a sustem that goes like this:
    Every daily login you have the possibility to earn tokens by this system
    Day 2: recieve 1 token
    Day 3: recieve 1 token for every 4 xp lvls increaseed from the yesterday to today (example: yesterday: 24 today:28, you recieve 1 token)
    Day 4: recieve 1 token for every 2 xp lvls increased
    Day 5-infinit: same way as day 4

Instead of xp lvls, it also could be X amount of orbs
    The streak would decrease 2 days if you missed 1 it would reset on 2 days of not logging in
    Just a raw idea
  4. Going to be blunt here: No.
    That would allow, through buying experience bottles/trading with villagers, a rupee to token conversion and greatly devalue the token.
  5. Forgot about those. True this could be farmed. I made this so breeding or trading with villagers(townies) would have some bonus. Maybe if its possible to negate xp orbs from xp bottles(towards orb count). so the people know how much xp they need to collect legitimally, the system you could add a command that says
    Example
    156/500 xp orbs
    You have X hours remaining to complete the task
  6. Here's a very good guide for you :D
  7. Standing on your res/lit box in the wild and trading with villagers/breeding animals is far from challenging and extremely farmable.

There has to be a limit. We can't go around handing out tokens for everything you do in Minecraft, or they'd be extremely easy to attain and farm (see xp issues overall). The reason we are okay looking at mining as an option is because when you are out in the frontier/wastelands mining actively, you are in danger of some sort so it's a challenge. You cannot determine where that next ore will be (without hacking and being banned for it). You aren't standing in one place in full light with no monsters around you. Even building in the wild can be a challenge so I don't mind looking at granting minute amounts for that, if we can establish a way to ensure it cannot be abused.

The full name of tokens is 'Challenge Tokens'. If it's not a challenge of some sort, you cannot expect to gain tokens from it. These aren't handouts and you will have to earn them with challenging aspects of gameplay.
    Nickblockmaster and tuqueque like this.
  8. With the whole teleporting back to town I agree that it should cost tokens, how many times do you actually leave your outpost? I wouldnt think that it would cost anything over 500 tokens but it makes sense... at least right after a chemistry midterm where i am falling asleep it does. I dont mind the addition of the price myself.
  9. It still would not work, due to the fact that many xp farms are fully afk.

Would you consider adding the ability to teleport to the wastelands from the frontier along with the anti griefing features? I know it would only be a 1 way teleport, but it would cut down on the mining that goes on in the frontier
    SkareCboi likes this.
  10. The teleport would go to town from HQ, from town you could go to the wastelands pretty easily. Go back to town manually (no tp's in waste), then tp back to your HQ.

Keep in mind that the wastelands world is smaller so a direct tp to coords associated with your outpost, etc would not be possible.
  11. I actually meant to allow teleportation FROM anywhere in the wild TO the wastelands spawn, and allow it when you install the antigriefing features. Maybe it would get abused and used as a free trip to town, but it might slow the mining of the wild, and test how it impacts the economy. :)
  12. From anywhere? No.
    Maybe from your outpost HQ to wastelands to remove an additional travel step.
  13. As to what im seeing, it would not be allowed to obtain tokens in town as there is no true challenge, except (not really) taming cats. Still, that isnt a true challenge.

I just thought sbout this: this thread is to make people that are more town based, earn tokens. But... Why would you want to have tokens if you play in town? Maybe for prot from griefers but still, if you proposed effot to yourself and go far into the wild, there will be no griefers. So prot from them is not a thing. Why? Biome change is relatively cheap and let say, if avalauncher came again this year, it would also be a good investment, not cheap but worth putting effort in.
  14. Man, these discussions are endless and tiring.

This wouldn't be necessary, if the rules would be finally finalized and released (Btw, IMHO here the same argument applies as has been broad forward towards the players many times, that "they had enough time to collect the necessary tokens"). With a disclaimer would be fine with me. But right now, one needs to find every bit and piece of information scattered all over the forums.

So many open questions still:
    Is the anti-griefing update a patch until outposts come out, as stated before, or is it now a real thing?
    How will chests be dealt with in this update?
    What happens if reversed griefing occurs, i.e. somebody places blocks in front of my portal and I cannot break them anymore?
    How is an automized system preventing "overclaiming" or claiming under your feet?

One of the concerns I share with some of the forists is that the commitment to an outpost so far is not valued by the current token system. This becomes apparent from Aikar's point:
    It would be appreciated if you can make an offer to the people that demonstrable have shown this commitment.

A post of Krysyy in this thread is hinting the same direction
    Here comes now my personal story to this:
    My friends and me have been building one of the largest, most successful and modern outposts on EMC. It is open to every player on the servers and we move DC over DC to smp-town to donate to other projects. We are around for almost 2 years. We created one of the longest threads on the forums, with the opening post copied several times by other outposts. There is a webpage linking back to EMC in several locations. We not only have almost every thinkable farm, but also inviting living space and some mega builds. Not to speak of the many incidents of griefing we had to fix (here a big thanks to the mods that continuously helped us to follow up on these).

Even though I have build or helped building many of the structures, my main task is to manage this subcommunity: Update forums and webpages; reply on the forums; invite applicants; do the planning; get in contact with projects to support and establish friendly relations with the other outposts; auction our goods and so on...We are consistent, team play and introduced some innovative concepts.

Have we received tokens for all these activities? No
    Have we been contacted to clarify, how we can protect this vast and complex city? No

Additionally, there are some complications specific to a public outpost of this size, I would love to discuss in a PM.

Don't get me wrong: I believe, all of us will have the chance to claim and protect our portion of the frontier and in the end it will hopefully work out for most. But the road there is very bumpy and not a real success story.
  15. Have you contacted staff to ask questions? No

Start a conversation with me when you have an issue like this you want to discuss in detail. We don't have the ability to hunt down players for their input past our open survey about how you wanted land claiming to work. If you already put your thoughts into that survey, then they are being read/taken into account in the planning.
  16. I have participated actively in all discussions about this topic as long as it is around and also the survey. So, no need to hunt me down.
  17. Your survey answers are not anything close to what your entire post up ^ there was insisting we contact you to discuss. That's the overall issue. If you don't include your thoughts when we ask for them, then how are we to know you have concerns to address? We've had 124 people fill out that survey and many of them are on par with what we currently have planned. We read the survey results, but if you aren't writing everything in there, then there is a break in our attempted communication and it's not as effective.

At the end of the day, calling us out for not attempting to contact you to discuss your specific needs is only valid if you expressed you had those needs when we asked for that information. I implore you to re-fill out the survey if you have anything to add as of this point so that we can see everything written out black and white against others' needs and work from there.

This doesn't have to be a bumpy road if we can fill the bumps prior to release.
    ThaKloned and Kyzoy like this.
  18. A problem with the anti-griefing system that I can foresee is that everyone needs to be friends with one another. With a public outpost this would be very hard to deal with especially if someone doesn't want to accept the friend request to be able to destroy blocks.

Are there any systems in place to circumvent this?
    SkareCboi likes this.
  19. Once Empires are released after it will likely be involved. So instead of being your friend, they'd have to be a registered member of that 'Empire'. Which they should be if you want them to be breaking blocks.
  20. Yes, there is a very simple reason for this: At the time I filled it out the survey lots of the information given under Aikar's poll wasn't available. But OK, I will fill it out again and hope we can work towards a solution.