[Suggestion] SS service for un-obtainable blocks in Survival

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ChristopherJay, Jan 13, 2017.

1. It being volunteer makes the work load irrelevant. Its what you volunteered for. Here's this big stack of task. Get to it. Also 'spending all day to cater to other needs'. Sounds like the job description of a staff member. I mean why apply if you don't want to deal with people. Yeah sure its nice to have a break and off hours sure sure, but I think its just apart of the responsibility of getting to such a position.

As for figuring out where one would want said blocks, it should be clearly marked with a certain block and/or sign. Sounds tedious and perhaps not the best way of going on about it. I'm sure if this were to EVER get implemented it would be a far different approach into identifying where these blocks would go. Altogether if its going to cause more complications in having the service go about in a configuration standard. Then perhaps it should not be added until other Minecraft features are added into the game.
    ChristopherJay and NetherSpecter like this.
  2. The reason I underlined volunteer was to state that they aren't tied to their "work" they do it because they want to, if they don't want to anymore because they have zero time for anything else on EMC, then they won't stay on as SS+ it's simple people won't do what they want to if they don't get anything out of it. You work at a job cause you need money, you volunteer at charities and local events because you want to, however if you've had enough work then you go home. I've done plenty of volunteer work at all different hours and tasks, I've always been told that if I don't want to do a certain task I could always leave. This isn't a "job" (in the loosest terms) it's what staff do isn't "work" or "labor" think of them as favors to players who, otherwise, couldn't do the things that they do. I'm not looking for a fight and this very might not get implemented as or it could!

This could eventually come to fruition and with tweaks it could become a thing. I just know 100% that if a SS+ I might have an issue with going from player to player every other hour typing in the same 6 things it would become tedious and time consuming, two things that anyone would hate having to go through.

As I was writing this I actually thought of something interesting to help smooth this over, a new command perhaps?

/replace (res number) (block ID of the block you want to replace) with (block ID of unobtainable block to place)

*Could only be used by the owner of the residence specified.
    *Must have some sort of block relevant? (Flat stone slabs would take two stone slabs from the player's inventory?) (Still working on that)

It's a bit rusty but I just can't help but feel like this would be a HUGE waste of a staff member's time that could be used towards events, rule enforcing, mingling with players, road edits, res movements, dirt clearing, and other staff duties.
    Nickblockmaster and TomvanWijnen like this.
  3. I'll repeat what I've said before (and what someone amazingly already quoted from me).

Special texture blocks is something you are better off contacting Mojang and convincing them to add the ability to attain them into the hard code, because IF we ever add them, it's not going to be any time soon (even Aikar soon). We have extensively discussed the addition of bedrock/barriers to the SS service list, but found that the conversation kept leading back to the fundamental issue with this suggestion. This is a survival server. On a survival server, you are given access to survival blocks, not creative ones. If you were meant to have these blocks, they'd be craft-able or mine-able. It has nothing to do with adding more work for the SS+ to do. It's simply the concept itself that is the issue here.
  4. town is anything but survival... we can not die in town we don't have hunger in town theres no mobs in town. not to mention that theres a service for a bedrock removal... something you can only do in survival through glitches
    SkareCboi and ShelLuser like this.
  5. You cannot die in town, but you cannot spawn in items. That's the point I'm making here. Everything on the server, apart from some promotional items, are attained by the players. Someone went to the wild and farmed up the sandstone in an area that they COULD die and where they did have hunger. Just because you don't die in town doesn't make the items anything other than survival-obtained. Especially now that the /shop is gone.

As for the bedrock removal, that was due to some players having no bedrock from days long ago. We made it where the players that wanted that as an option were granted it.
  6. 6 sides logs? whats that
  7. A log in which only the bark is shown, the rings are hidden
  8. Pardon me for playing the devils advocate here but...

Now.. I can definitely agree with you, let's get this out in the clear. I also won't pursue this discussion endlessly for that matter.

But I do think you're overlooking (or ignoring?) one important aspect here. This is a survival server, but in town it has long ago deviated heavily from the concept already. In survival I cannot stop water from flowing, nor lava. I cannot jump down from towers without taking damage. And I cannot take my weekly lava bath :)

Within that context your explanation doesn't hold in my opinion. For the simple reason that it wouldn't be the first time that EMC deviated from the path.

EDIT: I do see your point regarding spawning in items, but.. the concept as a whole still somewhat stands :)
    SkareCboi likes this.
  9. +9001

just no barriers/bedrock.
    and portal frames would be op. (who wants a portal to the end straight from thier res?)
  10. If I recall only naturally generated frames would lead to the end, it may have changed since then though.
  11. Ehh not entirely it is still possible to buy items from /shop(since Aikar didn't want to delete his throne in the sphinx.) He made it harder to get there, but still possible to buy items. I suggest to do /res set shop:buy false on the pyramid shop...
    ShelLuser and SkareCboi like this.
  12. I completely understand where you are coming from, but the limitation of game mechanics versus the access to physical items is different here. I might not have divided my post appropriately. The part that you quoted was specifically speaking about the access for players to have barriers/bedrock placed by SS+ on their res.

The part before, where I'm talking about the need to contact Mojang, is for the odd texture blocks. As said before in another suggestion thread for this, we aren't crossing this off the possibilities list for the future. I personally LOVE the smooth sandstone blocks. However, making these custom block textures accessible doesn't fall anywhere on our priorities list and isn't simple at all. In creative, you set the block as a different block type, but as soon as you break it, it's returned to the basic sandstone slabs, since it's not a physical block itself and can't be stored in any manner. Therefore, it would be smarter to focus on having Mojang add in a crafting recipe for these items instead.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. It is 'gone' once Aikar fixes his computer and pushes out the update that is pending...
    The sandstorm is evidently held off by fried computers.
    ThaKloned likes this.
  14. The thrones are still in /shopworld
    ChristopherJay likes this.
  15. if you build a portal in creative mode and activate it, it still works.
  16. Excuse me while i go to /shop (/shopworld) and spawn items in
    SkareCboi likes this.
  17. You didn't read my other posts. That will no longer be an option when the updated /shopworld goes into place.
  18. For Those a that may not know what blocks I've mentioned,
  19. What would be cool is a bedrock for barrier replace on the res's floor
    TomvanWijnen likes this.