[suggestion] spawn res locations (maybe more of a question/conversation)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mjnoe70, Jun 1, 2017.

1. -1000
    almost no one with a spawn or near attraction res got it free, they spent money and time to get it. many of them have plans to do things with it and are just building up supplies.
    additionally if they are keeping the res it probably means they are voting/have a derelict voucher to keep it. those things werent cheap and i personally would be pissed if one of my reses got moved because someone didnt like what i had on a place i spent real life money for.
    _Devil__, Tuqueque, mjnoe70 and 2 others like this.
  2. If I want to have a blank spawn res to spite people, then its my right to leave it blank 5ever 4ever indefinitely.
  3. I'm gonna weigh in a bit here .. when I see open res's I see the potential of something .. something big or perhaps just leaving it open and enjoying it that way. I'm not a big fan of having all the res's crammed to the max with huge builds. Please don't get me wrong, I love, love, love checking out all the creativity and awesome builds on the different smps. but .. I personally wouldn't want my res like that and in fact have recently acquired the res next to mine after sooooo long and I'll probably just add some grass and flowers .. maybe some horses etc to roam around and for me That's what I call a nice build. =]
    You just never know what someone else is thinking .. maybe they, like me, need to time to mull it over and let it open up organically. Some of those 'empty' res's have a lot going on underneath what you would call empty. I actually know this to be a true fact. =]
    just my 2 cents and probably worded terribly but I don't care. =D
  4. Taken Straight From Guidelines

Every once in a while the Suggestion Box forum is overrun with discussions that have been conjured up many, many times before. Therefore, this Wiki page serves as a guide on the suggestions that have been Implemented, are In Discussion, and that have been Rejected.

Please preview this list before making any propositions, as chances are you'll find it here.

In my nearly 5 years on the Empire, I've seen this suggested countless times. It's not going to happen, so stop trying to make it so. EMC's owners don't like changing things, and I do actually agree with that mindset when it comes to this "issue".
  5. is never bad 4 ppl just to share their ideas. its not being suggested every month ^.^
  6. You are wrong. :p
    ThaKloned and EmpireMall like this.
  7. Might want to be a bit nicer...

Sure the idea might have been suggested but not the exact way that the new one would be... Also, old ones might have been in a different way as back then they might not want them, but then today might be alright to be added.

~finch
  8. I know this was posted as a suggestion. I am going to move it to Community discussion though.

Reason: The obstacle to implement this is not development related to be implemented by staff, but a political change in policy.
    This seems to be more appropriate to be an honest conversation about what isn't working (and why) which could then lead to solutions.

Personally, the formatting of spawn residences is flawed inherently by design and has existed for as long as I have been here. IMO, we would never force anyone to move. IDK
  9. To your first point, no. To your second point

10. First, I actually still consider myself new to both EMC and Minecraft. So I'm learning but I try to follow the rules and most of the time get along with pretty much everyone. I hear all this stuff about what EMC was and isn't anymore all the time. I see some changes as ways that may help pull new players, like myself, that are more active in to doing more. New builds and new people can only be good for the server as it gets more potential supporters and activity for all. ...and while I'd love to see some kind of change, this isn't the holy water that kills me and I take my family to another server because I'm unhappy with one decision not to change a standing rule.

Second, I do love the wonder of variety and not every build has to be a sky scraper. I'm sorry if it felt that way and is not what I want either. I do think as a brand new player coming in though, when I saw those types of things I instantly had an attraction which made me walk around more to see what else people had done. I just think spawn represents a feel for the server when someone arrives and the builds around it help to create the first impression.

Third, my thanks to everyone for being open and honest in the discussions... For the most part all responses, even though against make sense and I understand why they made that statement. I think an open debate on anything is fair game. As time changes, players change, needs of a game and server change with it. Replying to an old thread is not considered acceptable either and after some searching I did not see anyone with the same thoughts I had on resolution or even the same exact circumstances. Most of the people, old and new in this server are fairly respectful, polite and understand it is a community and they personally don't make the rules. Sadly some think they have the only opinion that counts. I'm happy those people are not in charge. I don't believe this (or most) suggestions are truly right or wrong, but a decision will be made and we'll all have to live by it.
  11. I know how you feel. I had a spawn res on smp1, had a busy semester, lost track of time and it got swiped from me. Now, I wouldn't be upset if someone did something cool with it, but right now it's just sitting there with a "FOR SALE" sign on it and nothing is being built. It's such a waste.
    mjnoe70, ChickenDice and Eviltoade like this.
  12. All the reses I swipe, I do wicked Builds on them to make old owners happy, Hehe
  13. I have a spawn res on utopia. When you go there you see lots of grass. Not fun to look at right? What you don't see is the stuff under it that is either being built or worked on maybe to be moved up top later. I paid a lot for that res and to be blunt, it's mine to do with as I please (as is any other res on EMC). Obviously I want something on it but have yet to find something I liked enough to build. Even if it was free it's still owned by someone.

But I do understand that some people don't like to see that. I recently unclaimed almost all my res' from alts as they were not being used or just didn't need. I have just 2 residences now for alts, both on utopia and being used. That should be enough.

What I think shouldn't be allowed is someone grabbing a res just to sell it for profit but I suppose that's a whole other discussion.
    Pab10S and Tiburok like this.
  14. Yup. At least I'm not being constantly spammed and hassled by people who wanted it from me when I was building on it, so there's that...lol. I personally don't think it should be legit that people can sell reses for rupees, but I don't make the rules. I am thankful for the server though so I don't mean disrespect toward the people who DO make the rules.
    Pab10S and ThaKloned like this.
  15. I used to have this problem, but I don't think it can be solved in any way. Like others have said, main spawn residences, multi-plot builds, moving without player's consent- it all doesn't work that well. You can't exactly eliminate the problem. There will always be that person who builds a dirt house. To be honest, I own one of those 'ugly' residences. Oops. I have a random waterfall from the sky, and random dirt mounds. :oops:
  16. Okay, so it has been some time since I chimed in on...well, anything to be honest, here in the Empire. I guess you could say I have been somewhat M.I.A or A.W.O.L., but rest assured I have not forgotten my commitment to this community. No, I didn't make any official declaration of some sort of commitment, but there are certain goals I strive continuously towards achieving, and I have taken on the aforementioned goals with the knowledge at the onset that it would take a very, very long time to accomplish. So, having blabbed all of that, I too find myself in possession of some near spawn residences that at this time have nothing more than a nice green lawn to be viewed. There is a great plan in motion in the background though that looks forward to the day of making use of those plots. I have actually done a single player mock-up build of what one residence will look like, but have yet to find the time to compile the design of the others.

I hope you don't mind the multi-pointed reply to your inquiry mjnoe70. I applaud your zeal and vested interest in this community. I am also a guy who enjoys playing on this server with his family. As some have alluded to above, there have been many suggestions in the past that have touched on this topic, even if not exactly as you have laid out. I do understand the daunting task of trying to check a forum that has almost 1.3 million messages to see if your idea has been proposed before. Yes, they should be in the suggestion box, but often a lot of the discussions about improvements are simply discussed and may not actually make it to the suggestion box itself. What I would like to do is refer you to some other threads, which also relate to the topic at hand, and then use those to make a proposal of my own to see what others think.

The first most related instance is a reply I made to a thread last December about Player Retention Rates :

https://empireminecraft.com/threads/discussion-player-retention-rates.69141/page-4#post-1268852

In the above post, you will find that I too was pointing out the emptiness of the server from a perspective of the numerous residences found throughout the town that are actually derelict, and not just recently derelict either. At that time, I came up with an idea to help this situation, which I did actually submit as a suggestion found here :

https://empireminecraft.com/threads/pre-built-homes.69192/

With these thoughts in mind, I would like to point you to yet another thread that I suppose is technically an official discussion back when the Empire grew a bit :

https://empireminecraft.com/threads/residence-move-form-due-to-town-expansion.53648/

So what does all of this have to do with what you were proposing? Well, for my suggestion to your inquiry, they form the foundation of what could be...Possibly a solution. As we see in the last thread above, the staff really do take great steps to make things better for the community as a whole, and even move the ground beneath our feet if so desired. What you are proposing could require a lot of red tape due to the current setup, so why not redefine the setup a bit?

Hmm...so how I see it is we have all these players who want a so called spawn res, and only 9+Utopia spawns within which to claim. Yet when I look to the Waste, or the Frontier I see many Empire Outpost locations by which to explore from. Why could town not be the same? And how could such be facilitated?

We have seen the answer to this in last thread I submitted. Simply request another Ring be placed in the midst of the current residences.

Yes, I know this is a horrible rendition, but simply a quick hack job of SMP2 in paint to illustrate the concept a bit. What I tried to do is simply move the most recent 3 rings of town out 1 ring to facilitate the space needed for additional spawn points which could be simply /town north or /town n or /t n options which could also help others explore the town easier if they don't know those teleport locations someone mentioned in a prior post. Also, if this were in place, as is often the case when you visit the wild, you are teleported to a random location if not specifically designated. Newcomers to the server could have this similar mechanic in place so that they could land at any of the potential spawn points.

Oh yea, I am sure your going to ask about all that white space on the map...heh.. Well, yes...I did have an idea for that too, which I will give credit to a former mainstay in SMP2, and one who worked tirelessly to build great structures for the town in hopes it would upgrade to a City like in SimCity :) One such structure and undertaking that SSRCcorp endeavored to build was a functional train station and an underground rail system that navigated around several residences. While some of his personal views conflicted with the direction of the server, he was a really talented builder.

I would recommend making a rail system in the white space which could offer a different means of travel around the town, and then it would also give those adjoining residences a special place also. Someone might want to build their shop along the railway because they know people would like to travel around it.

Yes, I know this would also come with it's own fair share of red tape and Kryssy may be out to sick the Doctor on me for suggesting such, but something like this could be a big win for the server, the players, and I feel the community overall, as it would give us more prominent places to display our builds for the newer generation. Also depending on how wide the ring would be, staff could actually have other spaces to build other facilities and builds in the future. As for those who may have multiple residences that would fall on top of the proposed ring, I suppose the idea of editing the rail around those could be neat too, as it would give it character. As this progresses, each SMP could come up with their own rail line design...maybe :)

Well, I guess that is the synopsis of the idea, in all of it's rough edge form. I now submit it to the masses to see if it can be polished to a degree by which it could actually be implemented and hopefully bring a new perspective from which we can see, and enjoy our towns. I also hope this would help in your endeavor mjnoe70.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    Eviltoade, mjnoe70 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  17. Point well taken and mentioned before. Trying to uproot these properties and owners is not the right thing to do no matter how the property is used. I just hate to see them this way if the people owning them are "truly" inactive I wish they would let them go derelict so they could be claimed and used. A true inactive is not an alt of anyone playing in any capacity. Therefor those same people wouldn't need or want to sell it as if they are inactive then what good would getting 5 million rupees do? The issue is there is no way to know when someone does leave EMC/MC for good and if they sign in or vote, they maintain ownership and I think that is fair and understood.

I love your comparisons to some of the things in SC2000 and as someone who did mess with that game some of the buildings and structure are cool and I think maybe what I see to when viewing the city map.

I am not opposed to the city changes you may have noted, though for "why" I want spawn to be different they will not help. The only time this comes in to play "really" is when someone is new and really doesn't know much and starts exploring. Once a new player has down /v /shop /mall /smp? and so on, the starting spawn isn't used nor would remote spawns help as I do /home and never hit spawn anymore. I just love seeing new people come in to the game/server and I feel that first impression is best served by the larger and more robust builds. It has less to do with what they can do or everyone different skills and resources. The one truth to life, is no matter if its a game, a server, a person or anything else, you can only make a first impression one time.

If I were to propose a change, I may not put new players in a home, but rather have them join and come in at spawn with messages and the tutorial telling them how to use the /res open. Even as is, most of the smp spawn areas overall are pretty dang cool. ...but this is really not even a change I'm suggesting, just came to my mind as I was noting my thoughts on why I started this thread to begin with.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  18. Made this doc just because:

I have made the most accurate guess possible with players status' : PS = Protected Staff, PP Protected Permanent, - =Not Protected. If you are on the list and your status is not represented correctly, I apologize.

Click Me!

Given this information, the following res' are available to claim if they happen to go derelict:

SMP1 - 105
    SMP2 - 3003
    SMP3 - 6007,6006,6005,6003,6002
    SMP4 - 8007
    SMP5 - 10006
    SMP6 - 12001
    SMP7 - 14001
    SMP8 - 16003,16002
    SMP9 - 18006,18005,18002
    UTOPIA - 5007,5006,5003

19 total

-ET
  19. Don't count on it :cool:
    Eviltoade likes this.
  20. Always have to laugh at the smp6 one, :p

Seeing as i own 4 of the spawn reses (I tried to buy 12006 but had on luck) hehe

Also for smp6, Computrix is Smei Active (They log in to keep their stuff but is busy with RL stuff right now).

The spawn reses I would be worried about is smp5 seeing as almost all reses are not active.

~Finch