Pre-Built Homes

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by KnightZer0ne, Dec 13, 2016.

1. After the recent player retention thread : https://empireminecraft.com/threads/discussion-player-retention-rates.69141/ , I decided that it was worthwhile to actually go through with making a formal suggestion on the idea of Pre-Built Homes. As I pointed out in that thread, there are multiple reasons why this could be beneficial to the Empire.

1. This would give the new player a temporary residence within which to start their empire journey. I would recommend having the build temporarily anti-grief proof so to speak such that the new player could not break anything until a specified amount of time had passed. The amount of time is debatable, but I feel at least 1 week up to 30 days could be worthwhile. After they no longer are eligible to show up on the new player search, then they are also allowed to modify the structure could be a good rule of thumb. If they want to become a supporter, and obtain a second residence, then they would have access to remove any pre-built structure there and build on a clean slate if they so desire.

If built properly, there could be teleports to the waste and frontier in the residence. Additional signage would allow for further instruction on the most commonly proposed questions by new players. After the new player's trial period commences then they would be given full rights to the materials on the residence, and could take down signage or move teleports as they see fit.

I have taken the time to see what I could build using only the material gathered through a normal tutorial process consisting of 3 stacks of planks, 1 stack of stone, 1 stack of torches, 10 bookshelves (Yes, this is an item one currently has to find, but surely we could restructure the rewards a bit. Maybe even find new hiding places.), an enchantment table and ender-chest (Also a few hide and seek items). Then I added some trees and animals - 5 Sheep / 5 Cows.

When I got finished building I had a few items left over, and a humble abode within which one could have a jump-start in their Empire adventure. Here are a few pics:

Front View

Closer Front View

Inside Left

Inside Right

Back View

Back View Close

You can also visit this residence in smp2 via /v 3870. Yes, I probably should have spread the trees out a bit, but I thought this would give a new player more open space within which to construct their own builds.

2. Another benefit of this as pointed out in the other thread would be the potential to have even basic builds on the "derelict", and "open" plots. I am not saying we have to go with the design I made, or if it was used that it would be the only design. What I do see is an opportunity to have various basic builds that could be put on these vacant residences to spruce up the town. One basic build might actually be a park, a garden, or a barn. After having spent many hours on a game called SimCity, I remember that game used the same style home, business, or industry multiple times, but it gave the city a fuller look even if they were cookie cutter builds.

Okay, I finally found a really good old-school (SimCity 2000) example that I think looks really cool. It is also a very high quality image that you can really zoom in and look around. Take note, there are multiple of the same buildings everywhere. But it looks like a thriving growing city. Hmm...Maybe that could be the next move after Empires, and Dragon Tombs...Grow your SMP Town into a City...having certian criteria for it to reach so that it could earn more land / space to grow. Need to think on that one more, but it is assuredly for another time / suggestion thread.

Here is the SimCity 2000 Pic:

3. The need for basic builds could lead to some awesome build team events in which players could submit builds to be voted on in potentially 3 categories of interest (Residential-Homes, Commercial-Shops, and Industrial-Redstone Powered Factories / Utilities), and could be unique to each Smp so as to give each SMP-Town it's own look and feel.

4. Different tier pre-built homes could also be available for players to choose from and purchase beyond the basic design in Mid, Upper, and High level design options. I know I have seen on many occasions that multiple people have stated they are just not creative like that, and don't really know how to simply construct a building out of thin air. These same people are often also those players who would rather be exploring the wild, pvping in the mob arena, or maybe just helping out in the community, and would rather not be bothered with building their own home.

I personally believe all of those are good options that could be explored within the context of implementing a system for pre-built homes. I admittantly acknowledged the need to hammer down a few areas of some suggestions, and look forward to see what the community thinks about such a system.

Have a Great Day,

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
  2. I liked the Idea when you mentioned it in the player retention thread and I still like it. Wonderful idea to get things started.