[suggestion] spawn res locations (maybe more of a question/conversation)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mjnoe70, Jun 1, 2017.

1. This is likely to create some controversy which really is not my intent. If nothing can or will be changed related to this, then I accept it really without question and I think anyone else should as well. ...and this may have been asked before but I didn't see it in a fairly high level search I did. Though I was not exactly sure what to search for.

First, there are many different protected types available no residences. Some appear to be permanent from purchase, others maybe for some of the original players or owners. There are also the staff and supporter versions which are semi-permanent.

So as a newer player of both MC and definitely to EMC, I see things probably differently than people who've been here a long time that this gives both an economic, resource and as well as residential location. This will happen and those who helped build EMC deserve the reward for what they helped build.

So my questions/suggestion though is about those protected res locations that have nothing on them. While I get that they have a value, to EMC those spots really detract from the "town center" and could certain types of protection include moving of builds, while maintaining the build? EG: a world edit //copy //paste of the specific res and its contents to a new location. Is the protected status for the "build" or the "location" or both? My assumption is both. but if some things are to preserve the build, those could be moved to new locations yet retain what exists on those res plots.

For examples of what I'm speaking of, please see smp1, res: 201, 205, 206, 210, 212 301, 305, 306 and 309. These are the best examples I have.

..and I'm sure these are great people and players but eg: wildminer owns a 4x4 square and Last activity:
    Mar 22, 2016 Joined: Mar 1, 2016 and was here less than a month. Of course, I know nothing of alts so it may be an active players. or Bladeunderheart (which I'm guessing is someones alt) Last activity: Sep 15, 2016 Joined:Jan 29, 2014 and has 2 of those numbers listed above and 105. ...and I have sent a PM but no response even saying nope don't want to sell. Again, it is there right to do so and I understand that.
    I have reached out to some of the people who sign on monthly asking if they are interested in selling a res but many times those PM or in game messages go unanswered. With these players, at least in a "way" they are still active. Many of the locations are protected, with nothing on them for people who have not been on in several years. These people are not only reachable but would likely have no interest in my "rupees" even if they did get a message from me as being inactive, what good are the rupees anyway.

Please note I am not trying to disrespect the process and I'm not even sure what may be able to change or be done. i don't want to short change anyone on say the value of a location or the materials or build time spent on what they have made.

I just see a lot of potential for more activity around the server spawns, for example smp1 has the pool, ICCs and JGs tribute res's, eternia, the graveyard and this is just smp1. With some "reorganization" it would bring more activity near those items and more people may enjoy or visit them.
    00void, ChickenDice and ShelLuser like this.
  2. So if I'm getting what you are saying.
    You want inactive players with/without builds on the plots nearest the attractions to be relocated with their res contents. So more active players can build on the plots nearest the attractions to make the inner town more desirable.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  3. -1

This has been suggested many times before and although I can see where you're coming from you need to fully remember that EMC is about: "Play your way". If the owners of those residences like how it is, then who are we to tell them that they should be "doing" something with them?

For all we know an alt of the owner comes online quite often and enjoys him/her -self (maybe with some friends) on that open piece of land. Maybe they're playing tag (I dunno).

My point being: play your way goes both ways. For 'good' and 'bad'. This isn't about us, it's about the owner of said residence. Not to mention that he/she must have put in quite a bit of effort to get such a residence in the first place.

Only my 2 cents of course.
    Mythical_Man and mjnoe70 like this.
  4. Yes in a nut shell... ...I mean I would even be open to a "return" being able to reclaim or something. Hopefully again having all contents of both builds moved maybe at the cost of the "newer" temp-owner at 25000r per move for their build and then for the original owners move. Keep in mind, as noted, the people I noted have not signed on in years. My rupees would have no meaning to them.

Please note that I have reached out to many who do come online just asking. With them I'm looking for a connection or response even if no. However, the ones I was mainly pointing out are not people who come on, they are somehow protected residences yet the people do not come on and there is nothing on the res. They do not appear to be the "supporter" or "purchased perm protection" but they are noted with another protection type.

As a quick additional note, I love many of the very unique and great builds near spawn. I just know that when I was a new player, i didn't understand jumping around and my first view of EMC was running out of there and looking at the cool huge builds. When I went from smp9 to smp1 I was amazed at the number of empty locations near spawn. It was only later that I understood that smp1 was also the first server, which creates even more confusion.
  5. -1

If people have spawn residences or residences near special residences, moving their res wouldn't be fair at all. They could have spent millions of r on that res just for it to be moved away from the location they wanted because someone else wanted that res.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  6. Just wondering are you getting these dates of last activity from the forum? I mean I just went to several of the residences and did /p and they have all logged in within the last 10 days. Allowing the dereliction countdown clock to be reset to 30 days.
  7. *This is my personal view*

While I agree that the current system may be a little...off, I don't believe the solution is to move residences without a players consent. -.5

HOWEVER

I totally understand where you are coming from: Going to a desirable res number and either seeing it completely flat or with random scattered dirt is frustrating for me as well. Some of the owners of these plots don't even come in game anymore at all, or if they do they log in for 1 second, then log off again to secure themselves for another month. While this may be part of "play your way," but if they are no longer playing (2 years, 3 years, more!?!).....it may be time to just let it go. (side note: PMing them on forums is basically useless)

The ABSOLUTE most frustrating part of the system is Spawn War Voting (not sure what else to call it) - where players vote for someone else to swing the derelict timer in their favor - and with how the voting process works, not a whole lot can be done about it.

I have thought about this a lot in my tenure here, and I do not believe there is a "happy medium" to be found unfortunately.
    00void, Carbonyx and mjnoe70 like this.
  8. -1

Sorry but too many issues.. what if someone has a multi res build? What is someone has plans or bought the res?

Think about it...

You buy a spawn res with all your funds come on to be moved somewhere else?
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  9. I believe that what he's stating is this would only be a "temp thing" until the original owner would want the plot back.
    mjnoe70 likes this.
  10. Still too many issues... it's like going to someone's house who is out of the country and living there using their car....
  11. Absolutely understood... I figure nothing can be done but just brain storming and looking for opinions. These arguments are definitely valid.

One example is someone yesterday left and said I'm done. Unlike others, they opened the res up for people to tear down and gave away all the stuff they had. Some people just walk away and leave everything. Many of those will eventually roll to derelict. Its the ones that have odd protected policy that I'm seeing that I guess I was mainly asking about. I also don't want to ruin anyones hard work or waste the money spent to "perm non-derelect a res" that some have done.
  12. I live out in the country! ...but points well taken. I know there is likely nothing that can be done and the issue if even if we could identify someone/some-res that is never going to be access or updated again, how the original owners intent was.

To be very clear, please look at 309, 205 and 206 on smp1 and do the /p to see the type of protection they have on them. These were not purchased, they are not active supporter nor are they staff. It is some really odd thing that people no longer playing, never coming back (can say with 99% certainty) somehow have saved res numbers.

...but this is not to question your comments (or others) on the validity of doing anything to them. My question, while much more wordy above is simply is there any way to find, contact, discuss these non-used accounts/res combos to see if they would care if they were moved or allowed to be re-purposed.
  13. Since we're discussing a bit anyway... What exactly is the problem with those open residences anyway?

They're not being used, but why is that a problem? Do I sense a little bit of envy here because 'they have this location which could be so much better', but what exactly defines 'better' in the first place?

The thing is: sure, a spawn area might look perfect with (huge) builds everywhere around it filled with quartz and obsidian blocks if not diamond and gold which would make the spawn area absolutely marvelous.

Yeah well... I think it could also make said spawn area completely look fake as well. This is a game, and not everyone is as good at playing it as others. And that shows on those spawns making them, in my opinion, realistic. Which should not be a thing to keep into consideration in the first place because in the end all this game should be doing is amuse us. It should be fun.

With that said I really fail to understand how you'd get upset or a little frustrated over something trivial like that. It's not as if the server these residences are on would become much better once something has been build there. Plenty of people hardly come to /spawn anyway once they learned all the teleportation commands. Filling those residences won't create a continuous) increase in active players...

As such my question: what do you think this would add or accomplish?
  14. I've had a similar problem with a non-spawn plot I wanted. It was someone else's second residence they had not built on and it seemed they were logging in enough to keep their main one. I tried sending them a message on the forum and trying to contact them through their friends but I only got it through being patient and watching for them to stop logging in long enough to go derelict. As it was I had to set my sights on a different player's plot and then have my main residence moved and rotated to accomplish my goal.

It seems to me that, after a certain amount of time, only the owner should be able to vote to avoid dereliction. In the example you've given, it is not the necessarily the player playing their way, but another player playing the system to get their way.

We used to be able to ask Staff for derelict protection in special cases. I think this was a manual process where the plot is flagged until the player returns and I am not sure whether it is allowed anymore. It seems possible that some of these players could have asked for temporary protection and ended up quitting, leaving a flag on their account that keeps their plot from being reclaimed. Perhaps this could be checked and some of these released if it appears that the player has truly lost interest.

I've seen people come back to play after years before, and it seems like half are surprised that their stuff is gone and half are expecting it. I think automatically moving them would have similar results and because of the cost and demand attached to these residences would probably be taken very poorly in some cases. I think some could be fairly done manually though and perhaps changing voting would be fair as I described above.
  15. I understand that you want the spawn's to look nice but once someone owns that res they are free to build or not build whatever they like, it is a shame that people keep it empty but that is their choice and we can't do much about it

It is the first thing that people see when they join a server and it shows what EMC is about, if a new player joins and see's a bunch of empty residences around spawn then it doesn't give off the best impression of what EMC is.

Still at -1 from me though

Edit:
    I don't think that is possible
    ShelLuser and Pab10S like this.
  16. You missed the "after a certain amount of time" part of my quote. I think you are right though.
    Sachrock likes this.
  17. But a player spawns on his own (also empty) residence ;)

(edit)

Blocking votes isn't possible. The votes are done on external websites outside of EMC's control, all EMC receives is that "player x" has voted, but they won't know where the vote comes from (to my knowledge).

But even if they did (IP address): not everyone will have the same IP address during every vote. What if someone votes on both their desktop and their cellphone (at school)?

This can't be blocked like this.
    Sachrock likes this.
  18. When you jump servers or when don't know all the commands well (though I get they are much easier than it seems from the turorial) you can go thing labeled spawn at the wild and waste portals. Plus I found myself just running around looking at the builds. Additionally, I'd love to see more activity around spawn and those builds so more people can appreciate them.

So just to clarify, envy, no not really, but I'd take one if I could get one. I happen to have an extra res to burn so I've been eyeing in that area which is how I noticed the unique protections. ....and I did not really question anyones building skills (as mine are weak in the scope of things) but these are "blank" in contents I believe on all I noted.

...and upset hardly. I know it may "seem" that way since I typed a book but that was more just to help clarify the specifics, which probably was impossible to do anyway. Suggesting a possible change shouldn't be equated to upset. In fact I agree with most of what has said here based on the rules as they sit. Kind of like Pab105 noted, I am merely promoting discussion and thoughts on what may be able to be changed. I am willing to put up a little fight when it seems like something worth while. Luckily for me, this is not going to ruin my day either way but I had to ask.
    00void, TomvanWijnen and ShelLuser like this.
  19. Those reses are for sale... (Sign on the res...)

They are busy with school so thats why they are not on, (one of my friends). They where working on a build but did not have time, so took it down, and put it up for sale, you can contact them on the site still but might take time for them to respond.
  20. Ok wow, so I feel a bit dumb but I'll have to go look as I never saw a sign on them but in general for this thread there are plenty of others likely not marked for sale.

I did just run around 205, 206 and 309 and saw no signs... It must be on one res but mentioning all. ...but I don't have time to really look well yet and TY for the info and I'll follow up on what I likely can't afford.
    TomvanWijnen and ShelLuser like this.