[ SUGGESTION ] Removing Locked Channels On Mumble

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by MustangLover25, Jan 14, 2017.

?

Should the locked channels be removed?

Yes 6 vote(s) 17.6%
No 28 vote(s) 82.4%
  1. Yes, they would.

We created private channels because people felt the need to create their own mumble servers just to have private channels.

Removing private channels does not remove the players desires to chat privately, it just forces them to find other ways to do it.

With private channels, at least they are on the same server and have OPPORTUNITY to return to a public channel. With people going to other non EMC servers, they can't even see when others are on.

It makes the server empty, and less people stay on.

With private channels, players can at least send a text message "Can I join?" or "Can you join me up in the public channels?"

They were created to solve a very serious problem. Removing them will only make things worse.
  2. The bigger issue, is You cant even send a message to locked ones in mumble, and as i say, they ever respond to me ingame,
  3. We've had private channels for like over a year, and there has always been people using them every single day.

Why is this only now a problem?
    Krysyy, AnonReturns and Sachrock like this.
  4. Well, you can't message anyone in a locked channel without owning the password. Unless you meant in game?
  5. And if you could message the locked ones to ask for permission, and they denied, would you be ok with that?
  6. yes, as i can then even talk to players and maybe message them as well.
  7. If this is supposed to be the case, then there is an issue with the ACL on mumble.

Because no one was willing to expose this issue until just today when several people decided they were fed up with keeping it to themselves. Also, they knew they'd face retaliation from players and/or staff if they were to air their grievances.
    FadedMartian2 and finch_rocks_1 like this.
  8. I think allowing messages is something we can look at. Otherwise there's no way to ask to join.

But let me make this clear...
    We're not going to force people to chat in the public room if they don't want to.

And we don't want to return to players not having a way to communicate privately when it's clearly wanted.
  9. This is actually the only reason I'm against the channels... people can't message those that are in private channels, <portion removed due to staff correction>

If we're given the ability to message people, then I will rest my case.

Addendum: It should also be written into the mumble rules where messaging for people outside of a locked channel cannot be disabled.
  10. AFAIK, you can private message people in Mumble (I do not use it but I do use Google). I think this would be the better way to ask for permission rather than broadcasting to everyone, as that would be abused quickly.
  11. Yes, message a person is what I meant, not the channel itself.

Blocking channel messages from the outside of it makes sense. But if you can't PM a person just because they are in a private channel, then I consider that a mistake.
    Sachrock, willies952002 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  12. As is the case whenever a staff member is on stage, it is best to contact staff via the forums if our aid is needed if a player is unable to reach them for whatever reason. While Aikar, based on his prior posts, is looking into messaging within private groups, it still remains that staff is unable to handle official business on Mumble and we should be contacted on the forums or in game if there is an issue needing our attention.
    AnonReturns and Sachrock like this.
  13. The more names I see mentioned by Mustang the more I feel the need to repeat myself. There is a reason that people are in private channels. Technically speaking the ONLY reason is not to lock you guys out, in specific. But it can be overwhelming to deal with a select few for a certain amount of time.
  14. discord eggeh
    PeculiarPotato likes this.

15. #discordisbest :p
  16. Removing locked channels has a total of one effect, and that's most people moving to Skype/Discord/Teamspeak. It just really doesn't make sense to.
  17. So does that include the host of the event? I finally got mumble and went to mob arena and guess what? The host and most of the players were in the locked channel. Real fun that was :confused:
    NuclearBobomb and finch_rocks_1 like this.
  18. Did you ask them to add you ingame?
  19. Nuclear this was my first event with mumble. How am I supposed to know to ask? I assumed it would be out in a regular channel for all to be included. Guess that's what I get for thinking.
    MustangLover25 likes this.
  20. It wouldn't have been unreasonable to ask "why is the mumble channel locked?" and then proceed from there. If you are going to use mumble, you need to know/learn how to communicate with people. I understand that it was your first event, but if we didn't run into challenges with new things, we wouldn't have opportunities to learn.
    Sachrock likes this.