[ SUGGESTION ] Removing Locked Channels On Mumble

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by MustangLover25, Jan 14, 2017.

?

Should the locked channels be removed?

Yes 6 vote(s) 17.6%
No 28 vote(s) 82.4%
  1. I like odd numbers,what if its 7 people that I want?
    RunderF likes this.
  2. How about 9 though?
  3. but 8's my lucky number
    RunderF likes this.
  4. As far as I am aware, locked private channels is a software feature that is built into Mumble, meaning we could not disable it even if we wanted to.

Edit: Was just explained to me that private channels is something we have control over. However, this does not change what I said below.

However, while I understand the frustration of being left out, this same feature is built into EMC chat in the form of group chats. When I am on EMC, usually I am in a group chat with the group of people that I hang out with on a daily basis. This provides both privacy and a means of organizing chat.

If in-game everyone had to talk in town chat or pms to communicate, then it would quickly become confusing and very noisy. Town chat would consist of multiple different conversations happening at once, and pms would be difficult since you would have to send them to every player you wanted to talk to in private. Mumble is no different, in that people are awarded both privacy and a means of separating their conversation from others by using private rooms.

As has been mentioned already, find a group of friends or players that you can hang out with on Mumble. Because forcing yourself onto people is not the best means of making friends.
  5. I find that if there is more than 4-5 in a private channel, its not talking private stuff, Its just you dont want others to join... Even 5 seems high to me.
    FadedMartian2 and MustangLover25 like this.
  6. There could be a private outpost with many different people on
  7. then you can create a group ingame?

I find many players in the groups are either not even on the server, or on all different smp's/stage/utopia.
    FadedMartian2 likes this.
  8. Exactly when there is like 15 people in a locked channel I would find that very hard to believe that they are discussing personal things. Like I have mentioned before there are only a very few players without access to the channel, so say there is about 10 people in the locked channel and there is only 1 outside of the channel without access, that person would feel as if they are left out.
  9. Couldn't all of these chats be a group ingame? A lot of people find it easier to speak than type to a group of people
    RainbowChin likes this.
  10. due to this, I am currently facing possible retaliation from a few people... -_-
  11. But you don't know if what they are talking about is something that they would be ok talking about with everyone. If it isn't, then removing private channels removes their privacy. This could lead to all those players moving to their own server, thus there will be very few people left.
    JackBiggin and AnonReturns like this.
  12. Yes, But I doubt all are at one outpost...

I have joined mumble randomly and random times, and found i am the only one not in one group, and sometimes i have seen up to 25 players in a locked group, When i to /p to try and see if i can get invite, only around 4 are on emc, and out of the 4, they ignore me when i pm them.

They can easily join a open channel and if someone joins, they can kindly explain them to leave.

There was no issue when players could not make locked groups by themselves...

One of the reasons i dont bother to go on mumble is for the fact that there is never anyone to talk to as the reasons listed above.

So limited the amount of players can help...
  13. If the chat was limited then people would find other ways to talk and then no-one would really be on mumble
  14. Yes, but then there would be players in open channels more...
  15. but there wouldn't be many players on at all
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  16. more people would leave to either a different mumble,their own team speak or discord
    RainbowChin, AnonReturns and Sachrock like this.
  17. well, then, let them.... At least players would not be left out...

Why not test this for a few months and see?
  18. I don't see the problem with wanting to talk to your friends only lol
    It doesn't even have to be a private topic, sometimes you just want to talk to the people you know.
  19. So we're meant to be limiting private channels to reduce people being left out, but that screen shot shows people in both public and private channels