[Suggestion] /oldplayers: find those senior Emperians :P

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Specify that these players are online. Does no good to know that they aren't online. This should help direct players whom may have questions to these older players if their chat is enabled.

Should also have an opt out option. IE like for my case. I spend a lot of my ingame time on Stage and does no good to anyone to see "hey hes online but cant talk to him anyways". I think the idea can be good in getting information/questions answered in a social way other than reading the wiki which is much preferred.

Other in-depth solution to what I said above:
    As for an opt out command: /ps OldPlayer False (dunno how aikar does this part)
    Having /chat off should automatically opt one out as its pointless to direct someone to another with their chat off.
    I do agree with the silliness of this idea but every suggestion is worth saying so you can get an answer back.
    607 and kaptrix like this.
  2. -1. This list would be complicated on who's an 'old player' or 'currently active'. Maybe most recent hours in game but, oldest players and active on forums? I think it's too complicated to implement.
  3. +geckos
    Is just taking the top "oldest" players that are connected(obviusly if its like 4am EMC time someone new could be the only one, so it would kinda not work...)
    This has been done with newplayers so why old players cant be done?
  4. Interesting idea Shell, I am just glad you weren't talking about irl ages :)

I forget what the default button setting for this is, but I have my current online player listing set to tab. So what I was thinking is why not just organize this listing from oldest player at top to newest at the bottom. I know it is suppose to be alphabetical to some degree, but I have seen it do the alphabet 2-3 times when there are a lot of players online, which makes that method ineffective. An easy way to see who is the oldest and newest without having to do a lot of /p would be this type of organization.

Maybe it could simply be a toggle that we could select for that listing if we would prefer it list them from oldest to newest vs alphabetical, or if we just wanted to check this kind of info and then simply toggle it back to alphabetical. This could be a selection in the /ps section such as setting difficulty or something. If someone really wanted to find out how old someone was after seeing their name at the top of that list, they could simply do /p then.

My original idea was just list our age on this screen with names, but then I saw other people commenting on not wanting to be harassed because they were an old timer. Personally, I have found that when I am online, and am a supporter, I get asked more questions, as the color makes new players think I am a staff member or something. I inform them I am simply a supporter, and then help them the best I can. Maybe an extra symbol or something added to the player line that could be color coded or maybe an Icon that changes every 100 days and could tell you how many hundreds it represents on a mouse hover would work too.

Well, irregardless, my suggestion to your suggestion for an addition to a command that could also be intertwined with my suggestion is to simply use this player listing screen to denote player ages in some form or fashion. It would be a quick glance for info, that one could gather on those that are currently online, while they are finding out if their friends are indeed...online.

And that is my 2 Cents :)
    TomvanWijnen and ShelLuser like this.
  5. I think that this would work. I, with my 1449 days, at the moment of writing, do usally know the answer, since I'ave totally read the wiki (all pages, it took a while) and am reading about all threads (I think I'm posting at 10% of the threads I read the OP and the first page of) I don't know how other "older" members are, but I think that I'm not the only one who does do that, and I do indeed think that that are most likely the people who are 1000+ days old :)

so, +1, also because it stimulates my ego :)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  6. I like this but maybey top 10 oldies online?

Therefore if no staff are online the oldies could be the second course of action

When I say second course of action I mean answering questions and stuffz
  7. Hm... to me, this doesn't really seem doable.
    I think the only way to change the order of people in the tab list is through assigning them to teams, which would mean everyone getting a differently coloured name.
  8. I didn't know that. And I call myself a contributor... :rolleyes:

Maybe people who have logged in in the last 30-60 days then? Something recent.
    kaptrix likes this.
  9. It would be kinda cool if you got permanent residence protection if you played on the server for a long enough time.
    JohnKid and lukafolz like this.
  10. I disagree.
  11. +1
    I had two very best friends, shannor29, and catgirl3456. One day without telling me they both disappeared. :(
  12. This suggestion wouldn't help you there. The only way you could tell if those two weren't on in a while would be to use /p.
    607 likes this.
  13. How come? (Not trying to be hostile I just was curious what you saw wrong with it, I have my own doubts about it as well)
  14. Well, I don't think people who've played for a longer time should have more right to keep their residence. If anything, they should have less, as they've took up space for longer.
    And that a player has played for a while doesn't mean he'll keep playing, either.
    I'm not sure if I explained this well, but I feel like this wouldn't be very beneficial or fair.
    ShelLuser and TomvanWijnen like this.
  15. Interesting. I just mainly saw it as a kind of reward for playing for so long. You explained it well also
    607 likes this.
  16. Maybe /oldplayers displays the first sign in date of the 10 oldest players currently connected. Just an idea though. +.5
    Jelle68 likes this.
  17. I think the oldest 10 players would be the original creators like JustinGuy, etc. We wouldn't be surprised by the list very much.
  18. Your just basically stating that /newplayer isn't needed as well. Thanks for your input

I give this a +1 because if a new player has a question they could find the well seasoned players faster and message them of their question.

I am the 309th member of EMC alright :p