(Suggestion) New version of emc webstile!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by aletrisrex, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think this would be terrible (I also think that this thread should not be archived, besides). When this happens, it is a very impactful event, and will cause quite some grief. I think it can be overcome, but only if the forum in question is booming, with its activity steadily increasing. Quite contrarily, EMC's activity has been steadily decreasing. And I am almost certain that if one were to close the forum and create a new one, even when allowing the possibility to move threads by reporting them, the remaining activity would be cut in half at best.
  2. I wasn't sure how this was relevant at first, but rereading this I think you're saying that you'd want to try keep EMC alive while cutting off a bunch? :confused: As far as server costs are concerned, I'm sure it would be far more effective to drop a few smp's, or reset all Frontier worlds...
    Anyway, this is untrue. I wanted to try it by looking for an old thread, and the first thread I thought of I found without issues. I just clicked the search bar, put in 'open letter', marked 'Search titles only' and clicked 'Find Now'. Bam. No issue.
  3. Most of our threads aren't active anyway. Or could do with a revamp if they're actual reference points. We have rules about bumping all posts. Relocating a couple links, from a navigation standpoint, won't really affect anyone.
    Joy_the_Miner and KatydidBuild like this.
  4. The forums and the game are completely intertwined with the passwords and the financial potions if I understand what Krysyy has repeatedly said for years as the reason it can't be updated.

Not to update for just the sake of updating (sorry w1ther) but update for functionality. So... Okay. There's a Emc and Emc2 site. Big woop. Very very few of us have the forums stuff memorized, we follow links. Those that memorize will have it down in a couple of days and be fine. Pick a date ... Launch Emc2 with the rules, wiki, forums and call it a capper of a day.

How do we get Emc2 you ask?
    Seek applications from players for the process. A team of volunteers could get it done in 60days (guessing) and then we could search for forum posts and the like.

I would not even cry if you made me sign up again with a new password. Do it while the forums use is quieter and not at the busiest! (I hear you say it's too quiet Faded)

This plan would keep the essence of the custom-modded website but update the rest to functional and searchable.
    (Yes, I can find where K said this stuff about the forums and will add it, but I can't do it on mobile) <-- as others have commented
  5. Perhaps some kind of pin system for the active posts so that staff doesn't need to spend more time to move them? Then new comments could just go under the older material (older posts not being able to be edited at this point, just read)

Or the painful method (sarcasm) of copy/paste the older original post into a new post on the new system while using a link to the older conversation. We already do this. Example: promo price thread and the like
    HazardousCode and SoulPunisher like this.
  6. yea..
  7. now even many features of xenoforo emc didnt have and rich text editor work horrible on mobiles. any ideas?
  8. “request desktop site” in Chrome iOS app does wonders for me
  9. yea, it work same but it work very horrible when i trying to do sth like insert link
  10. Then just use the BB code... :p
    FadedMartian and UltiPig like this.
  11. 2010s bb code editor :rofi:
    lmao even ctrl+enter it does not accept
    FadedMartian likes this.
  12. Yeah, it works fine, forums are just old technology. :p There are newer versions of XenForo though, that have a lot more functionality. I pointed that out earlier in the thread.
    What should it do? I only know that from word processors where it adds a new page... :p
  13. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad and needs to be replaced.

Inserting a link is easy, literally just paste it and you're done. Takes less than a second.
    UltiPig and KatydidBuild like this.
  14. URLs can be autolinked, indeed, but I was assuming w1ther meant inserting a link in an arbitrary bit of the post. Still, it's not so hard to write [URL='koalastothemax.com'] and close off with [/URL], is it? (inserted actual example to prevent confusion)
    I think we've discussed enough about BB codes and the RTE, however. Unless someone disagrees on one of the following points:
    1. Concerning the post editor, EMC is currently functional.
    2. Concerning the post editor, EMC could be better.
  15. w1therkitten, I understand you want something new, but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) EMC was once pretty close to having a newer forum engine. A long time ago, they attempted to implement a newer version of Xenforo, but... things catastrophically broke. People were unable to login to their accounts, etc. Of course, this was many many years ago. Nowadays, the forums contain (mainly) a small number of prolific lurkers vs. the activity the EMC forums had back in 2016, or even in 2018! Yes, it would be nice for new features, etc. but as everyone has said above me, it's... really not worth it. Especially given the effort Staff would have to exert to get everything seamlessly migrated over... for... a fraction of the activity the forums had back then...

Truely, making "EMC2" is a lot easier said than done.
    HazardousCode likes this.
  16. I don't remember that, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    607, UltiPig and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  17. wait, how about we still keep old site and mark "this site is no longer maintained"
    and we assign emc old webstile as emc2 and new site as emc1?
  18. Question is this:

What makes the "EMC2" website different from the "EMC1" website? A newer version of Xenforo?

Multiple people, including TomvanWijnen and others, have a good point with the "Why fix it if it ain't broke" attitude. I'm in the same boat as them, because I have no issues with the current website myself. It can be a bit troublesome at times, but eh, it works. This older site has grown on me and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to in the past.
  19. emc 2 is old webstile, means they still kelpt for those old school like to post or do sth. But emc1 is new ones, with refreshed xenoforo
    Due to old xenoforo may lacks alot of security as well as features.
  20. Why does the emc2 or similar setup need to be created? This heavily custom xenforo cannot be repaired, not possible, we have been repeatedly told. And it is broken - search function alone would be a QOL change. The forums and the wiki take months of use to learn to find things in. Better navigation and ease of finding things would help players. To date, there are a couple of things that I simply take on faith that they are in there somewhere, because I can't locate it myself.

To be fair, looks come and go. This EMC look might be vintage at this point, I don't care about that. I am interested in the ease of functioning (and data security)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.