(Suggestion) New version of emc webstile!

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by aletrisrex, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soo, how about new version of emc webstile?
    Currently emc's site is like from 2010-2011, and it's interesting if emc updated to 2022's style
    Example include intel site , google site,..... and plenty of sites are updating.
  2. EMCs version of Xenforo is horribly outdated and updating will take a lot of work. Many of the features used by more modern forums aren't available with the software currently in use.
    HazardousCode likes this.
  3. then rennovate it. why not? beside original features u will except more feature at least
  4. My point was that there hasnt been any major effort (that we've been told of anyway) to update it. Completely renovating would likely take even more effort.
  5. It's just fine right now, and updating it would take an immense amount of time, and break loads of things. This time could better be spent on something that would actually benefit us, like ingame updates.
    FadedMartian, wafflecoffee and Egeau like this.
  6. I'm sure that Aikar has explained before why it is very unlikely that EMC will ever be updated. I don't know where, though.
    The problem is that EMC is using a heavily hacked version of XenForo, which makes it impossible to update normally (if that would be possible anyway, being a full 8 versions behind if I'm not mistaken). If I understood and remember right, these hacks would all need to be undone, then redone after the update.
    Unfortunately, it is unrealistic. :(
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  7. I disagree. Search barely works, and it is impossible to list someone's threads. The post editor does not save drafts. The rich text editor does not work on mobile. Users can't see whether a post has been edited. That's enough reasons to deny the claim that EMC is just fine right now, in my opinion, and there are probably more. ;)
    Edit: I am aware that a lot of these drawbacks are shared with phpbb. However, that doesn't mean they're just fine. phpbb is free and open-source software. XenForo is a commercial product. Some of the features that later releases have we wouldn't use, sure, but others are quite beneficial, if not essential.
  8. He has, yes. :) I also don't know where, though. :p

Search on forums (or most places for that matter) has universally been mostly broken in my experience, so it not working great on EMC is not a notable difference for me, sadly (but this obviously doesn't mean fixing it wouldn't be an improvement).

The rich text editor does work on mobile. :)

Users indeed can't see whether a post has been edited, but some places have this turned off anyways, so whether this would be changed is not necessarily sure.
  9. It does? How? It doesn't work on the fairly recent smartphone that I currently have in front of me (I checked with another XenForo forum and it does work there), and I also still regularly see posts that say they can't embed images or whatever because they're on mobile (of course in my opinion, people should know the BB codes by heart, but it is clear that they don't :p).
    I also just noticed someone else that I miss here: in new versions of XenForo you can quote part of a post by selecting it. Very useful, especially on mobile. It is a waste of time to have to quote an entire post and remove everything before and everything after the bit you wanted to quote, and checking the post number to write the BB code manually isn't convenient either. Oh and by the way, quotes are shown with a maximum size by default and can be expanded with the click of a button, so it's not so annoying when someone quotes a large post and doesn't snip it.
    Sure, all of these features can be done without, but if it was viable to update, I think it would be worth the effort. :) I think you're right though in that it would take too much time, especially if desiring to retain all of EMC's features, which I think we should.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  10. By setting the page to "desktop mode" or "desktop site" or however the specific browser calls it. :)
    607 likes this.
  11. I have a question

Would you put your own money towards a revamp of the emc website? If so then okay if not then okay

If it was agreed that it could be looked into / done then could a collection be put forward to pay for someone to do it?
  12. I think it is the time that is the hold up.

Ironically, the more we wait, the longer it'll probably take to do.
  13. has been suggested multiple times for years and has been rejected or put in the pile of things that “sounds cool but too much effort for what its worth” lol
  14. its not just the time it takes as said before it would be taken away from dev time for EMC as a whole which was my idea to say that if someone could be brought in then it would take the burden away
  15. my second favourite pile next to "things we've been promising are imminent for 9 years"
  16. I would. We would need quite a few people acquiring diamond supportership to be able to afford a dedicated developer, though, I reckon.
  17. There's a way you can modernise the site without having to update Xenforo.

Make empireminecraft.com a landing page that has the necessary information to get people to join the server, navigation buttons etc. to the EMC Wiki (which could be taken off the forum portion and turned into its own website, akin to what my original idea was lol), the EMC Blog, and the Discord server, with one navigation button being able to take you to the forums (under forums.empireminecraft.com or something). You could probably conceivably end up turning EMC into a general purpose Minecraft-centred website that just happens to have its own server attached to it that way tbh
    KatydidBuild and HazardousCode like this.
  18. Google SEO will be slaughtered having everything separate. It could go to a website that hosts the forum, with a side link to the discord server. It just happpens that the best way to do that was on xenforo 10 years ago, but now forums can be hosted within websites, that’s the new best, so Itd be more of a migration.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  19. Maybe it's because I don't know anything about SEO or how it works and I don't really care to find out, but the EMC Blog was launched eight years ago in the hopes that it would have a good SEO score and allow the EMC brand to be associated with general Minecraft searches - to the point where blogposts, framed as where the best blog-suitable content our creative community could make would be showcased, were not allowed to be published unless they had good SEO scores. In those eight years I have not once seen anyone arrive on the forums or in-game and say "I came here from the blog! 🤓" so I'm of the opinion EMC doesn't have to cater to SEO because it doesn't matter for us anyway.

With that said, I'm not suggesting making everything separate. I'm just spitballing the idea of making a landing page with the wiki and the blog on the same software, while the forums stay the same as they are but get filed under a sub-URL. If that really would be so bad then sure, that's a pin put in that and I'll shut up.

Not that it'll ever happen since it's not even worth it :p EMC's problems won't be solved with a website update because they stem from being the kind of server that was popular 11-6 years ago, older users having a vast array of negative experiences (from becoming victims of grooming here to beef with staff 🥰) here that have made them leave, while still having its main focus on what is essentially a legacy version of a game.
  20. couldn't have been worded better than that LMAO

yeah EMC has the good ol' day vibes from 2012 except much less drama (b o r i n g - lol) and more or less in an indefinite legacy "slumber"-type mode with less active established players
    KatydidBuild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.