[Suggestion] Merging SMPs

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by liamwill, Oct 29, 2019.

?

How do you like this suggestion?

Good 27 vote(s) 64.3%
Bad 9 vote(s) 21.4%
Not worth the work 12 vote(s) 28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Interesting discussion! :)
    I was extremely opposed to this idea at first, in all its variations, but who knows, maybe there might be something good in it.
    Chickeneer's idea of simply moving worlds onto one server does sound nice. I wonder what it would practically entail, though. We can already move between servers without going back to the Minecraft menu, the worlds are already separate, and we will have global chat. Then would this even be a noticeable difference?
    If not, it's a decision that should be based solely on the possible technical and financial benefits and drawbacks.
    liamwill likes this.
  2. I hear the concerns for why not to merge. But assuming we wanted to...

My proposal is that the new merged EMC has five worlds: Games (as is), Utopia (as is), Stage (as is), and then the three new ones. The new worlds would be: Town, Frontier, and Waste.

To keep the location of builds/reses, all we do is pick up the current worlds as are and set them next to each other.

Town would look like this:

Or this, if we wanna mess with the order of the numbers. I just like the idea of counterclockwise priority.

And the frontier would look like this:

I

Each new "world" has its own inventory. You can live in all of them at the same time. This keeps that piece of EMC that a lot of players like, where you can easily go back and forth between your res and your outpost. The placement of each world means everyone stays the same distance from spawn. We have to rename each spawn, but everyone gets to keep all of their belongings. You get to keep your res number, road edits, your neighbors.

I have the idea mostly fully formed in my head, just a lack of words. I'd be happy to elaborate.

edit: image placement
  3. I like that idea a lot. It's very possible and feasible. The only thing is the time required to code the servers to work with a single SMP with all these reses. Chickeneer and Kryssy both said it would take time and energy away from 1.14, and the global chat.

Afterwards? Sure, I'd love to see something similar to that~ ^^
  4. Same, I really like this idea of doing it too.
    liamwill and HazardousCode like this.
  5. It is not feasible to literally merge worlds together. Even if we could. There is data hard coded to the coordinate location of things.

Theoretically, a solution could be designed to resolve these concerns. It would not be worth the results. Hence the existing town and frontier worlds must stay separate as non-negotiable.
    FadedMartian, 607, liamwill and 2 others like this.
  6. Can you not world edit together such a map?
  7. i think he means all the Residence borders would be messed up meaning your build might be unprotected or on someone elses res,
    FadedMartian and liamwill like this.
  8. That would be too large of a WE paste unfortunately.
    FadedMartian, 607 and liamwill like this.
  9. Do you think from a coding fix... wait jk we can't suggest anything code related because... we still are in need of updating.
  10. i have a feeling that would probably, ahem, *potato* the servers and cause issues
    liamwill and Eviltoade like this.
  11. Imagine how much cake could be accidentally created with something like that :eek: :confused:
  12. Say no to the Merg and yes to the purge... Purge all res's with owners away for more than 1000 days regardless if they vote.. If you don't care enough to come in game then say goodbye to your things....
    FadedMartian and liamwill like this.
  13. Do you feel that merging the servers like tuqueque suggested could be a possibility though? having those separate commands?
  14. Well. I was the one that suggested that line of thought...
    Ultimately, the one difficult issue... Is how to retrieve inventories from the closed server after the merge. I don't know the solution to that, but I also haven't investigated it. It is possible, that even a simple process of moving over the worlds to another server will be too complicated (or too much work for the work required). I think it is still worth the discussion.
    607 and FadedMartian like this.
  15. (this is the only post that I read in this thread (sorry no time right now), so it could be that this has been addressed before)

No. For example: I play in town on smp1, and have a wild base on smp2. This situation makes it so that I cannot be in both places at the same time, essentially making my entire wild base useless. I'd say that cross-server chat, as is already being worked on, is plenty enough to get the servers together.
  16. It’s technically possible, and may even be easier, to simply merge the player tab lists and chats of multiple SMPs and keep the physical setups separate.

Basically SMP1 through 3 would share chat and player tab lists to “appear” to be one server, when in reality they are still separate. This could then be configured however you like. (For example, you could disable this or reduce the number of SMPs included based on activity levels. That way during times of high activity, you can split up the chats more)
    607, khixan, liamwill and 6 others like this.
  17. I am going to revise my earlier reply (a few minutes ago) - that although anything is possible. I am second guessing the appropriateness of this solution to make such a transition seamless.
  18. Indeed. I mean it's not like you have to see people to know they are there. The chat will be busier so more people to talk to.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  19. Yeah, merging tab list and having global chat will have the same effect as literally merging the servers because each town and frontier world will remain separate either way, so +1

Also seems like a ton of less work to implement
    Eulenax, 607, HazardousCode and 3 others like this.
  20. Mhmmm all EMC really needs is the perception of being populated.
    Eulenax, 607, Burki and 8 others like this.