[Suggestion] Merging SMPs

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by liamwill, Oct 29, 2019.

?

How do you like this suggestion?

Good 27 vote(s) 64.3%
Bad 9 vote(s) 21.4%
Not worth the work 12 vote(s) 28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hello!

I noticed that I was not the only one who shared this thought. I personally feel like we need to take a step back and concentrate on our small community, not stretching our resources on ten servers. With this suggestion we might be able to reach that strong bond of community which we had in the past! I do understand this is a heavy task for the developers but it would be worth a shot? Let the debate begin if we shall merge some SMPs or not!

Liam ;)
  2. i know this seems logical, but it would be quite hard to do and that would then beg the question of what would be done with the nether and wild of the old servers if they were to be combined...

this has been suggested multiple times and each time its been denied iirc due to complexity and logistical challenges.
  3. If he's not running as many servers it could help reduce costs too.
  4. Yes, I love this idea.

I will not lie, a lot of people may not like this idea, but if it can be done, I think it would be in EMC's best interest. They would be using less physical machines to host the entire servers, which will, in turn, reduce costs for the server overall.

The only question is... who's going to take on this task? (It may be much easier than I am aware of and 1 person could do it, but they'd have to re-code the servers to manage a larger amount of reses on fewer machines.)
    ConductorConduit and liamwill like this.
  5. The time it would take to accomplish this is greater than the current prediction for 1.14.

When we are 1.14, we'll NEED to have things on separate servers for stability at first, then especially as more players come back/start new.

Global chat is being coded. It should release with/just before 1.14.
  6. Curses!!!

Ah well, it was quite an idea to try and help with the costs, yeah? ;)
    I'm glad you were able to tell us if it's as big of a task as we think it is or if it's easier than we think it is~
    liamwill likes this.
  7. Here is my quote from that other thread:

Krysyy pointed out that players would have to do some additional work for town builds, but those would be the EASIEST to copy and paste.

But what about the large utopia builds you ask!? Easy. You make 3 identical utopias. Rename them something super cool, and allow players to choose their new world. :)
    But what about my builds in the end, or the nether? Same process as I have identified above. You simply make a schematic of it, submit it, and staff would take care of the rest.
  8. I didn't vote because this isn't really a good/bad situation. It's really both. It will certain make things better but there will undoubtedly be a cost to that.

As long as we can keep Utopia, I have no issue blending the towns. I really need to unclaim all my smp res' since I don't use them. Really only use 2 on utopia with a 3rd unfinished.

As I already mentioned, frontier would be difficult for me (and I assume others). I get that players like me have lots of farms and such but time still went into digging, building, perfecting, etc. I couldn't possibly go with the 'time to start over' part of it. I would have no where near the amount of time to rebuild every. And that's banking on me finding as perfect a location as I already have.

What about your items out there? I'm sure I have millions of block/items. This is my stock that I built with for the most part. Schematics can't copy chest contents and with world downloader, you'd need to manually open every single chest. I could bring stuff to town but I have something like 200 DCs of Iron Block alone. That would be a nightmare to bring to town then back out to the new spot. Do I need that much? Likely not but now I can built freely knowing I have an over abundance of supply.

These are just my thoughts. What ever is going to happen, will happen whether I like it or not.

Thanks for making a new thread. :)
  9. This would be a one on one basis - SS+ have the ability to make schematics of their own. These schematics do in fact copy contents.

There's nothing that can be done about location :(
  10. It needs to happen.

The feasibility of such a task is...not great, but sixty players across ten SMPs is a mere six players per server.

SMPs are effectively their own servers. My time on SMP5 is well over 50 times my time on all of the other servers combined. People usually don't stray from their home SMP.

Sixty players on one SMP is a healthy number that would lead to a much stronger community.

Like I said above, undertaking this would be a monumental logistical challenge, but it needs to happen someday.
  11. The only way to implement this in a TIMELY manner would require come kind of coding, however, what I am suggesting requires absolutely zero coding but it would take more time.

Take builds, copy them, put them somewhere else. Close down 5-6 smps. The people who are active, will KNOW that this will take place in X days. The people who are inactive but have perm protection or supporter vouchers would have their builds moved automatically. The people who are inactive and derelict......it would be unfortunate when they return and their stuff is gone...sacrifices sometimes needs to be made. Sometimes servers have to reset EVERYTHING. This wouldn't even be remotely that drastic. Wouldn't yall rather make a few sacrifices in order to see a better emc, then NOT make any sacrifices and nothing happen or get better?
  12. The code for cross-server chat is essentially finished for the 1.14 update.

The question I would pose to everyone. Would it be enough to just move the physical worlds onto another server? For example. smp1/smp2 Would comine together with 2 town worlds. 2 frontier worlds. 1 waste world.
    HazardousCode, 607, __Devil_ and 6 others like this.
  13. My only question is would combining all the SMPs onto one server strain the server too much? One thing that I like about EMC is that it's virtually lag-free (except when deadmon5 is online).

So glad this is finally being implemented (eventually). I'm a bit confused about the second part of your post though. Would it essentially just be combining the two with one waste world, or does it entail something else as well?
  14. my questions for this would be how long would this take to implement and would it delay 1.14 much?
    Joy_the_Miner and liamwill like this.
  15. It would be after 1.14, if still deemed necessary at that time.
  16. I'm all for merging towns as long we can keep Utopia. I have a huge frontier outpost and a huge res that I just finished building that I don't really want to lose.

Same, I also have spent a lot of time building up stock. I would hate to see it all go poof.
  17. I think the best way to do this would be to create a/some new plot worlds and offer free res moves onto this new smp upon request and no longer allow people to claim res on there . That should create a much more busy and active community and eventually then other smps will die off and the inactive but protected res can be moved last. Doing this incrementally would be easier I think
  18. I don't see an issue with that. The main goal(s) would be the condense the community and make it seem (either actual or perceived) that the server is not empty.
  19. This is exactly what another person I know recommended as well. I will let them reply if they choose.
    liamwill and Burki like this.
  20. Server strain tends more to relate to how many people. And what those people are doing. Each MC server can only handle so much - due to limitations in the design of the original server code from Mojang.
    If one person is causing lag, that is unacceptable behavior on their part. Whenever it becomes an issue, we work with the player to find a solution which allows for the server to continue to function. Number of "worlds" doesn't directly impact server performance.

Regarding your confusion. I just lobbed a thought, I didn't mean to imply I have a plan.

RE: some other responses.
    I don't see a politically sane option where moving builds would solve anything. In that, we would never be able to contact everyone. So the old worlds would forever exist... Mooting the point of wanting to push them together...