[Suggestion] Merging SMPs

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by liamwill, Oct 29, 2019.

?

How do you like this suggestion?

Good 27 vote(s) 64.3%
Bad 9 vote(s) 21.4%
Not worth the work 12 vote(s) 28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. What would happen to the players that have extra town plots if they merge smp together? If being the main word!
  2. Fake it until you make it...
    Eulenax, liamwill, Eviltoade and 2 others like this.
  3. With the global chat coming into play I don't find that Merging SMP worlds would be necessary and as chicken explained, it isn't possible anyways due to some things being hard coded.

For those who don't know currently how the servers are set up... EMC is logically 11 servers right? However when you look at the physical hardware the servers are running on.... smp1-3 are all on one physical machine. smp4-6 are on another physical machine, and smp7-9 are also on one physical machine. Utopia, games, and stage to my understanding are on the same physical machine that EMC's databases are hosted on. The web server to my understanding isn't exactly as beefy of hardware as the other 4 machines but it only hosts the website so really no need. I think the server resources that EMC has is already well optimized for their needs.

I liked reading through some of these replies with everyone's imagination going wild.
    607 and liamwill like this.
  4. Say goodbye to some donors too then.
    QuantumBeane likes this.
  5. With Empires fully featured you could teleport to and from your wild base, assuming you have enough tokens to establish this (which you do). But it seems unnecessary, and at least a little undesirable.
  6. Sorry, but did you skim through or even skip some posts? It sounds like you've missed several important points in the discussion up till now.
    Burki and Stnywitness like this.
  7. Yeah, I deleted it lol.

Interesting thread...
    607 likes this.
  8. Yeeeaaaaaahhh but that costs tokens and still is inconvenient, I think.
    607 likes this.
  9. I feel quite mixed on this. While the idea sounds interesting and I think the comments about just having the towns all in one world would be quite cool, I feel like merging servers would take away the identity of Emc.

Back when I first joined (in 2013 I think) I joined Smp3 because it was the server my friends were all on. My whole time playing I've stayed on Smp3. Because it's the one I started on and have had so many good times on and too just squish it together with the other servers would make it lose its identity, or at the very least water it down. Its like having 10 single-player worlds, each world is unique and offers a new adventure in each.

Each Smp is unique and each has its own little community with its own personalities. I think that events and the forums bring all those communities together well and although most people stay on their own server they can still feel connected to the Emc community as a whole.

I think that while yes currently, the servers to feel a bit empty, 1.14 will solve that and as long as we make an effort to make any new players welcome we should see all 10 Smps busy and thriving once again.

TL;DR Don't get rid of what makes Emc unique and 1.14 will bring back the numbers.
    607, QuantumBeane and liamwill like this.