[Suggestion] Merging SMPs

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by liamwill, Oct 29, 2019.

?

How do you like this suggestion?

Good 27 vote(s) 64.3%
Bad 9 vote(s) 21.4%
Not worth the work 12 vote(s) 28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Seeking for schematics for players and moving it to another world seems really manual work and goes against one of the main ideas of EMC which are that the Frontiers have not reset since 2012 (iirc). Destroying the world, essentially the history of EMC should be left to griefers, not to admins =P (Still love you Toade <3)

Anyways,

I do think this would suffice

I would tackle the issue by combining 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9, while keeping Stage, Dev and Utopia separate.

/server Ruby = smp1, smp2 and smp3
    /server Topaz = smp4, smp5 and smp6
    /server Emerald = smp7, smp8 and smp9

Just giving them these names for the sake of doing so...

Example for Ruby

Old SMP1 Town --> /downtown
    Old SMP2 Town --> /midtown
    Old SMP3 Town --> /uptown

When doing /frontier, it would take you to the respective old frontier world
    ie: if you are in /downtown (smp1) it would take to you /frontier d which was SMP1's frontier...

Aliases for the commands would be /frontier downtown,midtown,uptown,d,m,u,1,2,3
    These same arguments would be used for /nether

Just one waste for the three towns. /waste (Larger though, definitely...)

And by doing /server or /SMP you can select the other bundles of servers (Topaz and Emerald in my example...) Definitely a drastic change, especially for players who already know the current system, but change can (and should) happen...

I remember staff (well Krysyy and SS) talking about making larger plots(80x80 or 100x100 iirc) for regular members, maybe add larger plots around the current Towny worlds... or just integrate them into the current ones using World Edit if you don't mind it...

Benefits: Stronger/closer communities (Active player base have been declining over time. This would enable more interaction between players and probably less moderation for staff, since everyone is closer)
    607, liamwill, Joy_the_Miner and 3 others like this.
  2. Combine the residences into a single town world, with care to keep 2x2 res sets together. Numbers can be kept the same, and we can have the same residences by spawn adjacent by tripling the size of spawn to have 3 residences on each side. Otherwise keep the three frontiers and one waste.
    607, liamwill, Joy_the_Miner and 3 others like this.
  3. This is good info for the masses to digest for sure. I like when we get a lil peek behind the curtain. Thank you. I feel like the concern is definitely warranted, however when we do hit 1.14, many will return. The surge will be really cool to see. Someone get some popcorn. I already started planning some cool new farms for the hub on 6. Omg all the cool things we'll get to have. Honestly, if people were smurt, they would come back and get crackin on what they'll need. They're gonna get left in my block shaped dust. Muahahahahah. No but for real. I do quite a bit of Server/Shop/Mall hopping and I have definitely noticed that the wise retailers have already made room for new blocks. I think if you like the game, and this server, you'll read this and the gears will start moving. Come to us...Come to the dark side!!! Sorry for the long winded digital fart, just wanted to say I think we are gonna need the room is all =) Keep it optimistic!
    607 and KatydidBuild like this.
  4. This is a MONOLITHIC HORRIBLE IDEA!!!! Taking away peoples work and history is a GREAT WAY to further isolate and create MORE dissatisfaction and MORE division....not a good idea.

Furthermore, any additional move commands or nomenclature WILL make more barriers to entry for new players....the learning curve for new players IS a FACTOR!

When you are new and not many experienced players are on the server...or not free to help(for whatever reason)....is just one of several factors causing unnecessary attrition.

What are the stats focusing around new players....ie ratio to regulars....what are the new player drop out rates....etc. Let's talk about retention.

Anyone?
    607 and FadedMartian like this.
  5. This would not erase history if done correctly... that is what we are discussing here, to find possible implementation methods.

if done correctly it will achieve:
    • Closer community
    • Larger community appearance (as the current player base would be divided in less servers, compared to 10...)
    • Room for innovation
    • Further activate economy
    607, liamwill and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  6. Each server has a separate kind of vibe...and community of regulars....consolidation.....for example just in chat alone will change the dynamic.....the sheer increase in chat volume/posts WILL create friction. Signal to noise.

This is a fast track to isolation and exodus of users.
  7. Focus on GAMEPLAY and NEW PLAYER RETENTION....The Age old fundamentals of online gaming.
    607, ThaKloned and FadedMartian like this.
  8. Which is exactly what doesn't happen right now. Being a new player and seeing single-digit playercounts is not a good way to increase retention.

That being said, global chat is going to massively improve the experience of EMC. It's going to make the server feel much more connected and closer as a community.
    607 and liamwill like this.
  9. Im a relatively 'new player' and chat was the toughest to navigate....I'll just be really direct.....as for the social dynamic it was very clique-ish....it was the personal mentoring on the smaller servers that kept me here(basic community of a few).

The FACT is that the larger group is actually kinda harsh regardless of whether or not it is intended to be that way. I recall people reprimanding during the learning process for being in a global chat. whilst some questions went ignored when asked multiple times over the course of several evenings. My personal experience was as a 'New Player' when server count was at 10 or more you get churned under and flamed for speaking up more that once or twice.

Let me be perfectly clear...I dont doubt your good intentions....i'm simply stating that as a 'new user' in a chat of say 5-10 regulars....is was rougher than you think. Im not trying to pick a fight or create unnecessary drama.....im telling you that your good intentions will have unintended consequences especially for socially shy/backward/younger players(which is the lions share of new entrants).

ALSO, I am NOT in any of the aforementioned catagories ...I am a corporate business marketing guy with STRONG communications skills......and the harshness of some of the edged comments bantered in the forum lately(mostly from older players to other older/longtime players re:mgmt).....it IS a HUGE TURN OFF to the 'new players'......after all we come here for Gameplay and FUN FACTOR RIGHT not drama and in fighting???

I was reluctant to even post in this forum thread just because even an authentic/ genuine attempt to offer helpful insight as a new player on the new player experience....turns into the game of 'telephone' where it gets filtered down to some bizarre retreaded meaning unrelated to the original key point......then it devolves further and tends to draw battle lines quickly.....i just dont see why things get so polarized so quickly? Do explain?????

I hope my good intentions are clear and not obtuse or verbose with regard to stating my point.

SO BACK TO RADIO SILENCE FOR ME.
  10. Every point you made is 100% true and I know exactly what you mean.

The point I'm trying to make is that during slow times, more people in the chat will lead to more interaction in general.
  11. Frankly, have a PVP if you want numbers.....and HOST more events...the events are more welcoming and promote team play.....say for example an ongoing public build/project every peak time....at the same time....it was the events that helped me meet people and make friends.....and that has pretty much died off....the last three events i went to were posted....and no shows by leads. That presents the image of a shrinking server/ dead community.

The down side of just player count....PVP tends to draw the wrong type of community....more smash and bash.....then run.....im not sure that player count is better than smaller numbers of high quality experience.

As a marketing guy, a burst of posts to various social medias the day of and hours before event times....would help and be cost effective....especially to get back some excitement for new players that do the tutorial and drop out after a bit. But, that is only if the hosts show up and follow thru. I know some hosts put ALOT of time into their events....some work the whole week before to have a nice well run evening event.
    607, Eviltoade and KatydidBuild like this.
  12. Can you send me privately which 3 events they were, so as to not derail the thread?
  13. A couple of harvest day events and a couple of others....all within the last 60 days.

I know people are busy and am not trying to fan the flames....i try to attend just to help mentor and get new players going if i can.....basic community building effort to pay it forward....like adopting a few new emc buddies....to get them going.

Im way to new to host an event....but consider myself a regular now.
  14. When you say that you make it seem you have some idea when 1.14 will be ready. Looking at the list of things that need to be completed first it is hard for me to assume it will ever for certain be accomplished.

But I do think to spend time on condensing smps this without updating is wasted time. Someone on the other thread said it was possible to do a schematic in 1.12 and use it in 1.13. Is that true? If it is I would consider doing that to large areas of town and wild and just printing it in a 1.14 world. While also condensing the servers. Sure it would be work but how much work is trying to update?
    Burki, 607 and liamwill like this.
  15. I have an idea of when the devs predict 1.14 could be out by, given no major roadblocks reappear in their path. I've respected their wishes to not announce it, because they worry that something may happen and let you down.

The schematics files may work that way, but that wouldn't account for res perms, animal permissions, etc. And as stated before, there was a reason we needed 10 servers in the first place. With 1.14 and a likely resurgence of players, condensing may end up biting us in the butt. Which is why we focused on global chat to bring players together instead. (yes, it should be opt out for those of you that are worried about chaos unless devs change that).
  16. I think if we can update the perms would not be a huge issue. If staff on this server haven't gotten to the panic point yet on the updating they should be damn close. I have absolutely no doubt that server revenue has taken a big hit. I'm not sure how well Aikar is covering costs but at some point it will be an issue. Aikar's great and all but I tend to doubt he will carry the server on his back. He's not exactly a big player and has a family. I'll be honest. I don't spend money on this server anymore, I spend it on a server that is on 1.14. As I don't really play on this server anymore. Would I come back and spend money again if this server updated. Probably. But with every passing day the chance of that decreases. And I would be willing to give a little on my builds and such to get to 1.14.
  17. Chicken says his goal for 1.14 is around his winter break, which I assume is December/January.
    TuckerAmbr and liamwill like this.
  18. That's not bad. I don't want to say I'll believe it when I see it, but well... No offense intended Chickeneer but I have been on this server a long time now. If that's true I would probably agree with Kryssy and suggest wait and see how much increased enthusiasm there is for the server.
  19. Again this is just a goal... Because that is when I will have the most time. There is no announced planned release date
  20. I gotta agree here. This is a very real possibility since everything can't be copied and replaced just anywhere (outside of town that is). And yes I know some of you say that some of it is just farms, who cares, it can be rebuilt. Well I care about the time I put into them and although they can be rebuilt, the time needed to do so may not be there. Just not sure it's worth losing people to keep people together.