[Suggestion] EMC Bill of Rights

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Windylava, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Should EMC have a Bill of rights for the EMC members

Yes 46 vote(s) 26.0%
No 131 vote(s) 74.0%
  1. it could have words from ssrc... or worse... cory lol. I'm kidding of course. Why don't you print up the document there miner dude. you got the mission statement that you said you needed, now lets see a bill of rights, or you can leave it to ssrc thats cool too. debating on what could be is silly. lets see SOMETHING. :D
    RainbowChin likes this.
  2. First of all, good morning. I was asleep when this post was made, so I apologize for the delay in my response.

Thank you for your expressing your concerns. While I do not agree with the word choice of 'demand', or the all caps approach, I understand that you felt this was necessary in the moment. I do not know what specific events brought on the creation of this thread, but I do wish you had brought up your concerns to me privately so that we could discuss this before you were enraged to the point of creating this.

That being said, I AM interested in what this Bill of Rights would entail. As it is being suggested by you (therefore this thread has moved to the suggestion box), I'd like to see what you have in mind as a suitable document. If you would like to continue discussion of this in a pm, I am available at pmcm.emc.gs at your leisure. If however, you'd like to continue this in the thread you have created, then please reply to this message with a workable and complete document that you think will alleviate the concerns you have. We can go from there.

I'd like to acknowledge that a few of your demands are founded on Empire Minecraft's past. Concerns are addressed with me privately or in public threads, such as this, quite often. I openly welcome suggestions as well as criticisms in my inbox daily and as long as the conversation does not turn into open attacks or insults, will always listen. We have made considerable effort to prevent the issues of our past, but if you are feeling that we are still lacking, then please message me. I do not wish for any of our members to feel that you do not have a voice in the EMC community.

TLDR; Get me some mock-ups of what you'd like this Bill of Rights to look like, but please make sure you are referencing the current EMC, not the past. Then we can proceed from there.
  3. Well, this is a place I come to to have fun with friends, have good conversations, just relax... EMC is mostly recreational and educational for me.
    I don't mind the rules, as most of them are obvious, and the others make sense. It's also pretty important and not too big of a deal to me.
    Rights, however... when I would be given rights... I'm not sure at the moment, I'm tired. But I don't think I'd like having rights on EMC. It just creates an unneeded feeling of responsibility.
    We don't need to pay tax either, do we? Perhaps only the supporters get rights? :p
  4. oh no... what you expected more? nope just that.
  5. -80% of us who do not believe in this
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  6. I heard you like owning things, so I got this for you lol

Minecraft is owned by Mojang. Mojang is owned by Microsoft. Microsoft is owned by the public shareholders of Microsoft.
    SSRCMegaMall and SirTah like this.
  7. Ha, ha, ha. He's not wrong.
  8. The shots.

But you're right, I wouldn't hold back when writing the document.

The Players Common Rights Section One
    All players have the right to call other players connected or affiliated with the Empire Minecraft server on their nonsense, as long as no personal attacks, vulgar language, or insults are used in the statement made to said player.
    TL;DR - Calling people on their BS.
    xHaro_Der, We3_Nub and Gawadrolt like this.

9. Cough hack 3rd one down. :p
  10. This is a personal response to the thread itself. I am choosing not to respond directly to any individual players. Not intended as an official staff response, but a response from a staff member (if that makes any sense).
    Make sure to read Krysyy's response for something more official - https://empireminecraft.com/threads/we-demand-an-emc-bill-of-rights.65683/page-4#post-1190751

As already mentioned the terms of service - https://terms.emc.gs/
    and Rules - https://rules.emc.gs/
    Already outline what is considered appropriate communication through the forums and in-game.

As mentioned, Our legal obligation is to satisfy any legal payments/purchases made to EMC. Although we are not obligated to grant rights, we want a strong and supportive community. I hold the opinion that our problems are generally provoked by disagreements between members. There could be a staff member involved, but I am not sure why people need to get so upset about literally anything/everything. I hope to help respond to some of the concerns brought up in a constructive manner from my perspective. Maybe these responses could be useful in drafting up what a possible "Bill of Rights" would look like. :)

Free Speech: All players currently have unlimited access to the common communication mediums until they break our rules. If you think our rules are unfair in this respect, you are welcome to create a different thread on the matter; this thread did not communicate that concern to me.

Protest: I guess you can protest things. This is barely a relevant term for an online community. Again, as long as you stay within the rules.

Address Grievances: Looks like you are already exercising this! Not to sound repetitive, but any public posts are completely allowed as long as all players involved follow the rules.
    Krysyy has posted numerous times that any concerns can be made directed privately with her at cm@empireminecraft.com or via pm at htttps://pmcm.emc.gs .This is especially an appropriate method for concerns related to staff personnel.
    No staff (even SS) see whatever is discussed except Krysyy herself. I have never heard of complaints from community members that have messaged her, so I presume this is working.

Demands/Deserve: Our primary obligation is to entertain (imo). Ultimately, we have to make decisions based on what is best for the whole group which could sometimes inconvenience a partition of the players. We do our very best to avoid this whenever possible. If you disagree with a decision made by the EMC staff, you are welcome to request it be changed. Just remember that we are most willing to keep an open mind to a suggestion, if it is made in a respectful manner.

Abuse/Censorship: Umm, what? Alright, EMC may have had moments in the past which may have fallen under this classification. But aren't we talking about years ago? Years. Current policy is to not delete or edit a thread unless requested by the author, or it breaks the rules as outlined in the before mentioned places. Just because you authored a thread, does not mean YOU get to pick what posts stick around to conform to your opinion. They should have the same rights as you.
    I think Krysyy approached this topic appropriately in the linked thread above.

Here is a guiding principle for forum posts: Keep it appropriate and do not make it personal.
    When people start personally attacking others, that is generally when staff have to intervene and people get in trouble. As long as you follow the forum rules, you should never feel censored or at risk of being banned.

If you have any questions or clarifications with what general protocol is in a situation, please ask!
    We will be glad to help give some insight. We do not intend to work like a black box.
  11. Please don't rush this or try to make it ridiculous.

Don't expect too much at once, don't rush too far.
    This can be a start of a wonderful development, but it will be as good as its foundation.
    Basics first.
    Keep it as simple and understandable for the majority of the community as possible while taking care that it still makes sense and hits the target - make the community better and make EMC better and recognizable as an exceptionally good place for a community to flourish.

It is not easy to believe.
    If 20% believe than this is really a lot, that's more than enough.
    The rest will believe when they see.
    :)

A sense of community is a major factor in development: it is much easier to believe if you believe as a part of a community.

I'd suggest this:
    - ask Aikar if he would like to give his view on the community from his standpoint, his "mission statement" regarding the community. I'd expect to read there what is the connection between EMC and the EMC community, where it shall be between "a user group which plays together and shares a sense of belonging" and a "community" in the richer sense.
    - perhaps form a small group to work on this if necessary
    - discuss this "mission statement" or whatever it will be called, collect and sort ideas, iterate this with Aikar and Krysyy, get it published. At that point we have a frame for the community on EMC.
    - collect ideas for a first version of this "bill of rights"
    - form a group again which will produce version "0.1"
    - discuss in a broader group, get it to "0.9" and present to Krysyy and Aikar

Perhaps Volt would like to moderate this?
    SSRCMegaMall likes this.
  12. This is a Minecraft server, not a country or national government.
    This is a private company , and I do agree that you could protest about it as it is a right of some national governments, but you're getting cooped up over not having rights on a Minecraft server... I only read what the OP wrote and nothing else and this is a response to the OP.
    BearJedi, MrsWishes, Gage9942 and 5 others like this.
  13. I'd like to hear what the creator of this thread has to suggest, but I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. If you would like to ask SSRC to work together on this project,then that is between you, him, and whoever else wishes to partake. I'd advise starting a pm with those involved so that you can all work together and discuss your ideas.

For my purposes though, I'd like to see what SSRC is suggesting as a mock-up before a giant committee is created. It should be overall what he would write if he was given complete control over it so that I can better understand the starting point. Only then can I address the issues that need acknowledgement and work to understand what we need.

As to the section in green, I can answer that. There is not a difference. 'EMC' and the 'EMC community' are one in the same.
  14. (insert verizon for EMC)

I tried that line on verizon and they said " ... and we thank you for being a customer for that long, but there is nothing we can do to lower your bill."

Perhaps I am confused but as I understand it I chose to be here and operate within the guidelines setup by EMC. I understand the current guidelines and I am able to operate within these rules. I do not need a special rule for me. Everytime I have had an issue, it has been resolved resonably well.

Trying to make a business operate based upon government rules sort of takes away the idea of capitalism. If you want to mingle your constitutional rights with the rules of an online forum and game server, then we should also have EMC telling us exactly how we can set up our shops. How much lighting there should be, space between the isles, which products a vendor is allowed to sell or perhaps to sell a vendor must carry every product. There should be strict rules guiding a shop keeper so that it is fair to a customers constitutional rights. Price control is another issue that should be mentioned when you want to talk about rights. It is my right not to be price gouged just because I needed it quick and did not know this guy marked up his product 500%. These are just a few regulations to start.

So..... Who will be in charge of commerce and enforce the shop keepers?

Protesting does not get things done, it is when people see a problem and work on solution to the problem that things get better. People think just because they want something they should get it. If you want it, work for it and you MIGHT get it. If you dont get it, that does not mean its time to scream and stomp your feet. It means its time to try again. The more rules and regulations that are made the more are needed because everyone will want more specifics so they can get away with more. (Anyone seen animal farm)

I for one do not see a reason for some "Bill of EMC Rights". Everything I need to know is in the Wiki, The Terms of Service, the Players Hand Book or I just ask a Staff Member. I see nothing but trouble by trying to favor this action. If the rules are not clear, where is it not clear? If a person feels unjustly put upon, PM Aikar.

This is a SOCIAL/GAME site. Have fun, relax, put the pitchforks and torches down and lets all go to the fishing hole.
  15. When I read this, you completely lost any minor support that I had for this idea. You are attempting to use your feelings as a weapon in your argument, aka using the victim card. As a fellow veteran member who is beyond embarrassed that this is the best argument you could have come up with, does my embarrassment entitle me the chance to try and silence another member? Because that is what you are doing. You are trying to use your feelings to try and say "Hey, what you said and how you said it made me feel bad. Don't do that!" to a perfectly reasonable, logical, and fact based argument, just because you don't agree with it.

You don't want rights, you want personal (read: not community) protections. This is evident from the way you have constructed this "request." Just because you feel wronged does not mean you are wronged.

Also, I would like to point out that I am a troublemaker who says many critical things (pro and con) about staff and anyone else, and I am very rarely "censored" (only when I can't keep myself out of a derailing argument lol). There has to be something wrong with the way you are doing things if you are being censored and I am not.
  16. Personally, I'd like the Bill of Rights to look like this.

Fancy lettering and fancy paper to show it is important.

And here are the amendments I'd like...
    Amendment the First - Stone Slabs are to be untouched by lava, fire, cactus, the void, or any other material that destroys items.
    Amendment the Second - If new features are bugged, they shall be fixed under a poll in which the people who are for the fixing are the majority. (See Skeleton Trap, Fire Charge, Invisible Potion)
    Amendment the Third - Players hold the right to freedom of debate as long as personal attacks are not involved. If a player personally attacks their peers often in the debate thread, they are to be punished.
    Amendment the Fourth - Staff may not interfere with soon-to-be derelict residences or already derelict residences unless players can do the same as the staff's action. (See the first and possibly last residence auction)
    Amendment the Fifth - Should developers nerf or change a vanilla aspect, assuming it is not intended for survival mode or overpowered if not removed, then there shall be a player setting if applicable. (See that damn teleporting Wither which should have been fixed in another way and with player consent. Also, what is with the Elder Guardian buff? It is hardly a buff.)
    Amendment the Sixth - Should a majority of players ask for a name change in a poll, it shall be done as long as the said mob is not a major mob. (See Enraged Guardians which should've been changed to prevent confusion)
  17. I appreciate your humor in the light of this situation, but must ask that you separate the serious from the joking for the purpose of this post. The Empire is in no serious need of Stone Slab amendments. Sorry Sky.
  18. Well, that wasn't a punch to the gut. :p
    The way I see it, I added humor to lighten the mood before I go into serious topics. Similar to how you go get ice cream before you tell your friend you accidentally smashed their car with a sledge hammer.
    xHaro_Der, SoulPunisher, Olga and 5 others like this.
  19. I'd love to see how you'd explain that.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  20. No personal offense here...

I've come to know you a bit better over time so I know this wasn't intended, but truth be told it looked to me as if you tried to ridicule SSRC's ideas here. I have to stress this out: I don't think you intended to do that, but that's how it looked to me.

You may not agree with SSRC's ideas (I personally don't) but that doesn't mean you should ridicule them or risk to make your post look as if you do. SSRC has done a lot for the Empire, SMP2 in particular. He provides new(er) players with jobs to do (read: income), he tries his best to keep the SMP2 neighborhood looking good, he doesn't only own dozens of residences but also owes up to it by making sure that each and every one of them look cool and awesome. SSRC isn't the kind of player who nabs residences and then enjoys a grass greenery, he works his butt off to make them better and blend in with the whole thing.

What I'm saying here is that SSRC deserves respect. You may not agree with him, sure, but that's no excuse to make it look as if you're ridiculing his ideas. SSRC deserves much better than that.