[Suggestion] Disallow Promotional Item Hoarding.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Faithcaster, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What do you think of this suggestion?

Yes 18 vote(s) 29.0%
I don't care, I don't like free items 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No 44 vote(s) 71.0%
  1. Its up to us to make this place better, it starts with us, and ends with us.
    You raise some great points though.
    I would go one further, lets not take advantage of anyone, ever!

Just be aware that when you do offer a 'fair' price, others will take advantage of you and try to get promos for cheaper than your offer, and go to new players to get the items, and make their profit.

Take 5 minutes out of the day and talk to new players on your SMP regardless if promos are out or not.

SHOUT OUT!
    Mirr0rr likes this.
  2. i only hoard promos for drop parties
  3. Its better than hoarding drop parties for promos! Wait what?

Heh, I will put my mind to seeing potential remedies, however this is a tough situation.
  4. I love it. I really do. I posted a thread about this, not suggesting it, but that I don't like it. I am happy somebody else agrees with me!
  5. I don't think you should disallow such a thing. Just like with taking the drops of a person you just saw die, it's all about moral. It's not punished, but you just shouldn't lower yourself to buying things from new players for a price way too low, while they don't know the appropriate value themselves.

When they want to do that, they can use the poll. There's no need for a comment if it's saying so little.
    highlancer54 and Pab10S like this.
  6. How about a warning? Perhaps in chat or in the Promo Box it says
    WARNING: Many players will be asking for people like you to sell them promotional items for prices that are unfair to the person selling. It is advised that you keep your promotional item until is goes off sale.
    wisepsn and 607 like this.
  7. I don't think that is necessary. And would be annoying in chat.
    wisepsn likes this.
  8. I was one of the first to put this concept on a massive scale, and I don't particularly regret it. Sure, some people do get ripped off when they misunderstand what they're doing.

What I think should I happen is, a letter very similar to the one that I recieved via forum msg back in ~December should be sent to people found hoarding instructing them to put up special signs indicating all possible loopholes with hoarding promos.

I was told to put up signs saying you only get one promo, it's your choice to sell, and things like that. I did it, and no problems popped up there on. I was under the impression that I wasn't the only one that the letter was sent to, but this topic proves that incorrect (?).
    Mirr0rr likes this.
  9. That wouldn't be a bad thing to put in the promo box, but it would likely cause more insecurity than there needs to be..
  10. Possibly add an option to turn it off. I do not see how it could be that annoying, you are almost always allowed to claim 1 promo and seeing that message 1 time will not annoy you that much.
    sonicol1 and 607 like this.
  11. it was sent to others too. liek muah!
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  12. Before I post this I would like to mention that I didn't read all the comments so sorry if this has already been mentioned... (EMC forums on my tablet makes reading them take a little to long)

What if upon claiming a promo you got a message saying something like this
    "This promo is only being given out once. Its value may increase in the future. Do as you wish with it."

This informs the player that the item they have gotten is sort of rare and that its value may increase over time. I think many newer players sell their promos because they don't quite understand how the value may increase. I do believe however, that as long as a player understands this, that they can choose to sell their promo right away for some quick rupees.
    607 and tuqueque like this.
  13. i agree, lets be real, people buy them and after 15 days they resells the promos with a 25% value increase, in my opinion that is a type of scamming.
  14. +1 New players don't realize the value of these things!
    tuqueque likes this.
  15. I think it's been said, but I'll restate my position for clarity. I don't like when players server hop and hound first day players to sell their promos or new player items. They are often bombarded with private messages that they do not understand. This gives new players a very unpleasant experience and runs the risk of chasing off new people. It's important to greet new players and protect them from this type of treatment if we want to grow our servers and community. It's very short sighted to collect huge hoards of promo items at the expense of each new player's feeling of welcome.

If any message was given with a promo item, it should be the value of the item at the empire store, or give the option to take some rupees instead of the promo. This would encourage collectors to offer reasonable prices in order to convince players to claim promos instead of taking the rupees outright.

Restricting buying and selling of the promo items is very hard to control or manage. Staff would be hard pressed to enforce such a rule. Deals and exchanges would be made in advance and then broken or done in secret and just turn into a mess.

I value the intent of this posts, but I very much disagree with the method suggested. It's always good to have discussion.
  16. hmm..
    Once I saw an 800-day old member (not naming who) try to scam a new player by buying their Freedom Blade for 3k (when the promotion item was new). I don't want that to happen to any more players
    607 and tuqueque like this.
  17. Honestly, I will not sugar coat anything..

It's called a promo for a reason, and after typing /promo and going through all the confirmation and paper, you still decide to sell it to someone off the bat, that is really your fault. I have never jumped on new people, and I don't think it's **morally** right, but unless they're completely oblivious to pretty much everything there should really be no reason to fall for the people that do pounce on newcomers.

**extreme keyword**
    607, SteamedEcko and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  18. It's the seller's responsibility to accept or negotiate a price with a potential buyer. If a new player is unsure of what a new promo sells for, but decides to sell it for a low amount, that is their own fault. If a new shop opened up IRL, would it be illegal to walk in and buy an iPad for $10 because the shop owner wasn't aware of the value? That, of course, is an exaggerated example, but the main concept still applies; it is the seller's responsibility to know what they are selling and what the price is. Even if a new player was unsure about a promo's worth, how hard is it to fire a message out with "How much is (insert promo) worth?". This is a very important topic to me, because I am a strong believer in the Free Market system, both in EMC and IRL. Nobody should be restricted from buying or selling just because of their experience or knowledge of a product.