Smp 4 Economy Problems

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by G_Guppy, May 20, 2013.

?

What do you think we should do about our economy.

Poll closed Jun 3, 2013.
Work together to fix it. 6 vote(s) 26.1%
Do nothing and let our server be destroyed... 17 vote(s) 73.9%
  1. That was Aikar's proposed shop update. Everyone hated it and said it would ruin the EMC economy. So he made a new one, we have been waiting for that one longer than dragon tombs, though as you can see everyone wants dragon tombs and not an economy update...
  2. I thought the original post was a joke at first :).
    I guess it is just a bit exaggerated and dramatic.
    Just because 9000 is out of stock does not mean all is lost :).
    8122 Jungle Shop in most cases has good stock and prices lower than other servers and lower than auctions.
    8104 is another option.
    If you want a megamall, make one or go to another server to shop, then /vault your items to smp4 :).
    EMC is about a lot more than just one servers shops.
    smp4 has a great group of players that are currently working together on a massive 24 res project!
    I like smp4 a lot.
  3. It sounds like you guys are whining about not having a big shop on smp4, where you can get what you want when you want it, but instead of just saying it you say "the economy is bad, the economy is bad." Time to put up one. Or . . . stop whining. ;)
    colesta1200 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  4. For almost as long as I have been on EMC I have had a shop, the prices go up because of demand, but then there is a fair price area that some shop keepers have adopted to help keep prices down to some degree and at the same time give other players the chance to make some rupees buy selling to them.

I know there are some players who don't like to supply these shops because in their op they feel there is too much difference between the buy and the sell price. That is true on some items but then some items prices can change a lot so there has to be a margin for reducing the price if needed.

Take iron and gold for instance up on till recently you could only get these items by mining for them, or killing pigmen. But now a lot of ppl have farms that produce a lot of these items reducing the price.

So a shop buys a lot gold at a high price to then re-sell and make a 1 may be 2r profit, but then the market get flooded with gold and price drops leaving the shop who wanted to pay a fair price stuck with a lot of stock that they paid a high price for.

In order to sell it they now have to make a loss or maybe never sell the stock.

Over all if a shop works it right they will always do ok, but only if they have flex ability between the buy and the sell price.
    colesta1200 likes this.
  5. Sadly thats not how its working.
  6. We have one /v 9000 Thats our only popular shop.
  7. And if all else fails:
    Blame Aikar
  8. There's more shops than just 9000. We have cadgamer and 8466. There's more but I'm don't have time to list them. Right now a lot of players are working on the smp4 project, that's gonna bring a lot of people to our server, and give us something that the other servers don't have.
  9. I find it funny how more people said "Do nothing and let our server be destroyed.."
  10. Wootwoot, this thread made me log on at school just to respond.

Let's start. Although nearly everything is covered, there are many, many shops other than 9000. cadgamer is an extremely well stocked shop, 8466 sells nearly everything, and I'm upgrading 9128 to a buy/sell mall as soon as I get the time. We are also in prime position for someone to go make a dominant mega-store.
  11. Pro is correct.
    Also one of the great features of EMC is how fast and easily you can switch between EMC servers.
    This means that everyone has fast and easy access to 10 Servers, each with Towns full of shops, their own Wastelands Wilderness to easily collect resources, and even the EMC /shop.
    Plus everyone can make a custom Buy and/or Sell shop with the items and prices that they want.
    Furthermore, the EMC forums have Buy/Sell sections And Auctions!
    EMC is great!
  12. It's okay, I got this shiver through my spine yesterday, and I concluded it was somebody requiring an economist, so I snuck online to help! I'm here!

The economy of Empire Minecraft is fixed by our 'government', the staff. Goods are sold through the Empire Shop at a price cap to prevent prices from getting so high they defy fun gameplay. I trust that the Admins and Senior Staff of EMC know what they're doing, so if you have a problem with the 'insane prices', stop being a crybaby, go out into the wild, and compete with the prices.

Out of the entire server, it's incredibly unlikely there is not a single shop with the good that you want. Look harder. Again, if you cannot find what you want, go into the wild and get it, and sell your surplus goods in competition with the shop owners who have nothing in stock, to motivate them to compete or drop out of the productive sector.

If there's no well known shops? Too bad. Well known shops are strictly a community luxury, it is not a situation of life or death.

Nobody is going bankrupt. For a start, banks aren't allowed, so nobody can get into debt, everyone can get 100r a day at the absolute minimum just for logging in, and 2,400r maximum just for being a voting member. If they didn't want anyone to buy all their stuff out, they should have either increased the prices so supply=demand, or not put their stuff out there at all. It certainly is not destroying their shop, and if anything is, it's their lack of decision making ability. I once had a shop which bought diamonds for 50r, and I got screwed over by some guy, and I had to deal with it. Boo-hoo.

This isn't even an economy server anyway, it's a server with an economy, but it does not focus on it. I once read someone's post asking "So what if an imaginary economy fails? Are bankers going to jump off buildings?"
    That hits the nail on the head. There are two possible outcomes of economic dysfunction on EMC.
    1. Prices will be too high. This renders the economy useless, meaning people will have to resort to barter and retrieving goods and services manually.
    2. Prices will be too low. This makes the game too easy and not challenging enough.
    1 is pretty much impossible because Empire Shop, and 2 is pretty much impossible because of Mojang making a decent game which is challenging and a good government which defends us from hackers. Consequently, neither criterion applies here.

I really do not mean to be pompous, but the only people who are qualified to make detailed judgements on the economic outlook is someone who has studied economics. You're entirely entitled to your opinion, just don't over-dramatize it, because it is more likely than not that you will be wrong. Because of the controls against market failure achieved through government intervention, the only true indicator of success in a Minecraft economy is the number of active players. If you want to boost the economy, vote, get a supportership, refer your friends, and generally promote the Empire. But most of all, leave economics to the experts. ;)
    oremia, mba2012, brickstrike and 10 others like this.
  13. That should not solve anything, we don't want smp4 to die out:)
  14. Well said SAH!
  15. oh stop it you :3
    mba2012 and ScarTheNinja like this.
  16. It was though :)
  17. Finally some who understands my point.
  18. lack of shops will not cause SMP4 to die -_- It could actually cause it to thrive if a new player decides to be the next mall owner.
    mba2012 likes this.
  19. I assure you smp4 is not gonna die. We have been fine for some time the way we are. We kinda like the way things are there. :) Feel free to build a shop however, im sure you will do good business if the prices are right! :)
    mba2012, cadgamer101 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  20. I voted do nothing about it and let the server collapse.
    Just because.