Should firearms be banned? {Closed}

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TechNinja_42, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drawing on the wall, won't kill someone. Shooting someone accidentally, will likely kill or badly injure someone.
    Deadmaster98 likes this.
  2. Which is exactly what the very first sentence of what you quoted said, markers and guns aren't exactly the same. Shooting someone and drawing on the wall are obviously not even relate-able. However, taking away something because someone did something wrong with it, mass punishment and not addressing the issue of punishing wrong-doers and education is relate-able ;-)
  3. While a good example, is slightly flawed. The severity of the situation will obviously impact on what is done afterwards. Going back to the marker and firearm comparison, drawing on the wall will get you angry. However, shooting someone, could lead to death or severe injury (not sure if I gave a correct end result comparison). The flaw is that death is deserves punishment.
  4. Okay, so I almost responded to this immediately and let my common sense get the best of me. However, since my degree is in Chemistry rather than Law and I have no law enforcement training, I decided to verify with my co-worker (who works for the state police) first. If the story is true, then you would absolutely be breaking the law by pointing your firearm at a police officer. You do have the right to ask them to leave your property (if they are without a warrant). You do not have the right to pull a firearm on law enforcement. So, either this story is BS or your local law enforcement has no understanding of basic law principals, in which case they probably should be disarmed as you said.
    southpark347, mba2012, Olaf_C and 5 others like this.
  5. Here is my opinion:

No, guns should not be legal. Yes, guns are legal under certain conditions in Canada, where I live. However, you require a gun licence to go and buy/shoot a gun. As much as I'd like to say they should be completely illegal unless used by police and military forces, I don't think that would help anyone very much. Having these guns illegal would definitely force those who want guns to get guns illegally, which we are trying to eliminate. We want to eliminate crime by removing guns, however by removing guns we're only making another crime appear in it's place. I believe that one should only be permitted to own a gun if said person has a permit for it, issued by the government. That is my final opinion.
    kuraudochuu and Deadmaster98 like this.
  6. Most of the bad things I've heard about our Police force happened during and before the 90's, when the Police were discriminating against people of coloured descent, allowing crushings to happen at football stadiums and then blaming it on the people who were trampled and crushed to death, getting newspapers to stick up for them, and then arming untrained officers with shields and gas grenades to stop riots, and then getting them to drive cars into riot crowds - which, needless to say, got people killed *cough, cough* The Hillsborough Disaster and the 1980s Toxteth riots that the British government can't be bothered fixing damage from *cough, cough*.

I think I've just went off on a tangent, but whatever... :p
  7. Yes. They are dangerous and can cause damage to your skin.

Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?
    PenguinDJ and Ultimamaxx like this.
  8. Yes, if they are capable of killing or substantially injuring a human.

We should still maintain weapons used in nonlethal detainment and sports like hunting.
    Deadmaster98 likes this.
  9. First, completely banning guns won't happen anytime soon. In the USA, there are many people who do hunting and other perfectly legitimate activities with guns. The problem is that guns are extremely deadly weapons and can kill many people in short amounts of time from long ranges. The state of guns in the US is similar to nuclear bombs in the cold war. We feel the need to have guns. Other feel the need to have equal if not bigger guns to protect themselves from those with guns. Law enforcement feels the need to have bigger guns to combat any criminals with other big guns. Citizens then feel the need to get even bigger guns to protect themselves from those with bigger guns. The loop is never ending and will continue until some huge catastrophe happens. The problem with banning guns is that citizens don't want to give them up if law enforcement has them. Recent events have only intensified this feeling. This creates a lock where no one wants to give up what they have and makes i nearly impossible to get anything done. It also leaves us with two options. We can either ban (or severely limit) guns or we can give everyone guns. The latter keeps us on this terrible cycle yet seems to be the easiest short term problem. The solution: remove the idolization of guns currently in our society. Once people see guns as only a means of hurting others (which they are), people will not use them as lightly. The second problem is that we need to rebuild a trust between citizens and the law enforcement. After doing that, we need to crack down on illegally obtaining a gun and establish strict protocol and tracking methods. Once all of these things are done, we will finally be ready for some more extreme gun control laws. I won't go into the banning vs. limiting argument because by the time the prerequisites are complete, the situation will be totally different and activities like hunting may be totally irrelevant. I expect the process to take a VERY long time. I hope that in the meantime we can get some basic gun control in place, but moving America in the direction of Uk and other countries will take decades. What I am trying to say is that we need to ban guns because they only cause problems but we also need to take many other steps to change our society first.
  10. Cars are harmful, and cause thousands of deaths a year. Why not ban them, they are similar to guns because they cause people to die, and you can use a car to injure or kill another human.
  11. Cars serve a purpose beyond killing people.
    Deadmaster98 likes this.
  12. So do guns..
  13. Shall not be infringed upon.

That's all I have to say!
  14. I heard that at gun shows in the U.S., people don't even need a background check in the first place. If they have the money, they can get the gun. Horrible idea, btw.
  15. I should probably elaborate more. Cars are primarily not used to kill people and have many other purposes. They are also not specifically built to kill. Guns were built specifically to kill. Not all are made to kill humans, but a large majority of them are. This is the big difference between guns and any other random object that has caused deaths and is exactly why that argument doesn't hold up.
    cadenman2002 likes this.
  16. I should mention that as an abuse survivor I also suffer from PTSD. However, I still agree 1oo% with this; there are definitely some insane people out there who shouldn't have a gun. As for me? I'm such a softie I can't even touch a gun, let alone a knife.

Yet ironically I still think some people should be able to carry guns legally, like, in the case of an unjust or corrupt government, as God_Of_Gods mentioned. And in times like this, people WILL band together: meaning, the people previously referred to as "bad people" will start banding together with the good people as the times get to worse possible circumstances, and they'll even go as far as to share their weapons with the good people, because the bad people will realize there's a much greater threat out there, united as one for a much greater purpose that affects all individuals.

...also, hunting. For some people nowadays it's the only way they can get enough to support their family, especially in areas where shipping costs drive food prices way up (a single pack of 24 water bottles in one location, for instance, costs well over $100. Ridiculous, I know). This, on top of making hunting with guns illegal, makes it impossible for people in such an area to survive.

There's my stance on guns. Take it as you wish.
    If none of it made sense then I apologize, I'm rather frustrated about a previous incident right now.
  17. Injuring living things? i am not counting target practice because you can do that with basically anything.
  18. I have to agree with what jkrmnj is saying here. Guns are made to kill things. Cars are made as a form of transportation, and that is the sole purpose of them. If you use cars to kill people, then you're using them wrong. If you use guns to cook bacon, you're also using them wrong.
  19. This is sad.

Taking away guns is the worst idea anyone can have. You people that are all "Peace and love" have to realize that bad things happen. Bad things will ALWAYS happen. There is NOTHING you can do to stop bad things from happening. If we ban guns, More bad things will happen. Banning guns will give the innocent people a disadvantage. Because criminals will always have guns.

Also, I am sure that you guys saying yes have never shot a gun! It is so damn fun! Shoot one. You will love it. Doesn't have to be hunting. Shoot a target. Write your name in the dirt on a hill. Shoot a coke can in half.
    luckycordel and georgeashington like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.