Should firearms be banned? {Closed}

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TechNinja_42, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. And that is why the statistics I used are per 100,000 people, that way, they are comparable.

And why is this? Because people can just bring guns from other states or cities. If there is going to be more restriction on guns, it will have to be done at a federal level.

But that still doesn't stop people younger than that easily accessing a weapon. And a 20 day waiting period isn't going to do anything but make people wait 20 days for a gun.

I certainly agree with you that there needs to be education. But you have to realise that there are irresponsible people, and the law has to deal with these people. For the sake of everyone's safety.
    southpark347 and kuraudochuu like this.
  2. It also depends where you get your sources from, Chicago has extremely strict gun control, 390 gun related murders in 2014.

People are unable to defend themselves in the city or state due to the gun control policy in place, gun control only affects the law abiding citizens.

Most people who commit acts of violence got their guns on the black market, stole them or had someone buy them the gun. The 20 day wait time is to check that the person can buy a gun, clean record.

Yes and those irresponsible people should never be able to handle a gun in their life, if they cant follow the way of responsible gun owners, then that's a loss for them. So we should also ban knives because you can cut yourself from them, using them to kill someone is using them what they weren't intended for.
  3. But that should be most of the population, correct? Then, if people are getting hold of illegal arms then it'll become fairly obvious.

Most people who get drugs get them off the black market or acquire them in some other illegal way? Why don't we just make drugs legal for everyone so that if you com across someone under the influence of drugs, you can appear just as disorientated and slip past them.

The idea that you should have a gun to defend yourself from another person with a gun is so utterly flawed. If there was real gun control, then there would be no black market. When someone does commit some kind of crime, then this would reveal flaws in the system.

Without gun control, everyone just has to live in fear (the idea that you have a gun to defend yourself is simply hiding this fear). If there was gun control, then you don't have to be afraid because you know that when there is a major shooting, some network of illegal arms smuggling or whatever will be discovered and dealt with.
    southpark347 and kuraudochuu like this.
  4. Kitten1303 Since this is NOT a discussion about Slavery I will leave what I said as is. And I stand by what I said earlier.
  5. From what I heard, she was shooting and UZI, which is isn't a hunting rifle, nor a typical self-defense weapon. It is an unsafe gun that nobody should be using except for our military.

If people were educated on the proper use of firearms, we wouldn't have to live in fear. Too many people think guns are a toy, something fun to play with at the shooting range. If we would keep guns out of the hands of the criminally insane, and strictly to those who know how to use a gun, our problems would be nearly diminished. Of course, this is basically a hypothetical situation and will never happen because it is super easy for anyone to get a gun in the US.
    southpark347 likes this.
  6. Oh wow, this thread surely got some activity!
    I'm really not quite sure on the matter myself, as I've never visited the USA.
    southpark347 likes this.
  7. Illegal items will always be obtainable. Just because they are illegal in one country doesn't mean they won't come in from another. Just like drugs are illegal, yet they still exist in our country. Police can go and pick up people daily (which is actually what they do where I work) with drugs and they will still be out there. Criminals are criminals for a reason. They are good at evading the law.
    DubChef, jkjkjk182 and Gawadrolt like this.
  8. By that I meant cloning animals which produce food. eg: cow, chicken.
  9. There's this weird thing called reproduction that works slightly better than cloning.
    Kephras likes this.
  10. Yes I know, that is why we need to clone because we reproduce and make more and more humans.
  11. What? You've gone from animals to humans... Cloning as a way of survival is stupid and will not work at the time. Maybe in the extremely far future, but not now. That will not work.
  12. I firmly believe that Australias "lack" or perceived "lack" of gun crime is not due to a lack of guns but due to a lack of people able to defend themselves from criminals. Gun crime as much as people want to harp on it, has nothing to do with some jack boot thugs coming to my house and telling me that they are going to take my property(my guns) or they will kill me because some people think that they are scary. My guns have only ever served to scare people doing exactly that, coming to try and subject, coerce or use force to cause trouble in my life. No one else has even seen my guns except my family and friends that come over and shoot at paper.

back to australia: http://allenbwest.com/2014/06/australian-debunks-australian-gun-laws-obama/

This clearly doesn't support any argument that australia is safer due to gun control:

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/publications/facts/2008/fig003.png
  13. I guess I'll leave again if nobody can really understand my points. Sorry.
  14. There are definitely those of us (probably the majority) that understand what you are saying. nfell has a unique way of taking things the wrong way or misconstruing what is said, like my ex wife XD

As far as cloning goes, we don't really have the technology to clone. That's a newspaper article fairytale. The little cloning that has been done is fraught with problems and disasters. We couldn't clone enough animals that live long enough to reach maturity to fill a single ranch let alone to feed the world.
    southpark347 likes this.
  15. Well you can't make 1 point, then another in reference to it but not keep the same context.

Excuse me? Read his earlier post. He was on about cloning for ANIMALS. Then he goes onto say that we need to clone HUMANS. Explain to me how that makes any logical sense.
  16. The first source is an opinion piece that does not state any factual evidence - the writer is simply offended that his rights are in question.

You did not explain the graphic, but I'm assuming that's a chart showing the crime trends in Australia. I wish you would show an equivalent graphic for the USA. I could not find one myself. But you can see here that Australia is very low on the ranking of gun-related deaths.

mba2012, southpark347 and nfell2009 like this.
  17. all you had to do was ask:

http://content.gallup.com/origin/ga...roduction/Cms/POLL/ldah6rdp6ukvngoyqi1fcg.gif

I thought the graphic was pretty self explanatory, its from an australian government website.

I'm well aware the other link was someones opinion, mostly. I was unaware that if you own a firearm you were subject to any creeper with a badge coming to your house whenever you want... thats down right scary. Also didn't know you can't even own a BB gun, which is less likely to kill someone that the "non-lethal" tasers carried by police in the US.

Trying to compare "gun violence" or murders by gun from a country that is littered with such tools against countries where you would be hard pressed to find a gun unless(and in many of these places even) in the hands of police... that just doesn't make sense. I bet we have more people killed each year with standard measurement wrenches too. That's just a fallacy argument, same as what I did there. Not to mention when referring to australia, that country is one of the least dense by population on the face of the planet... if not the least, I won't bother chasing that info.

If you want to compare other countries murders vs the US, lets talk about all of them. out of 218 countries 133 have a higher homocide rate, many of which have more lenient and many of which have more strict gun control policies. Why is this? because gun control has nothing to do with violent crime rate.

The argument to ban guns need something more than... well they are scary. To make any sense at all. Criminal activity exists both with and without guns and guns being a tool have little to do with social strife in an area. If you want to curb homocides or violent crime you need to address social insufficiencies not point fingers at a tool. I have never seen a gun be charged for a crime... just saying.
    southpark347 likes this.
  18. southpark347 likes this.
  19. Haha this made me chuckle!

I don't plan on adding my thought/information on this topic. Much of it seems to be going along but I do enjoy a good show.
    georgeashington likes this.
  20. So by cloning, we are stripping living things of their natural rights? A lab grown sheep is still a sheep to me, and it still should be treated the same. Under your logic we could clone humans and use them as forced labor.

This is a very, very misleading number. This number includes suicides, which are often considered a crime, and thus are combined with overall gun crime. The more accurate number for gun crime relate deaths is 11,208 in 2013, or 3.5 deaths per 100,000. Gun suicide accounted for 21,175 deaths in 2013, or 6.7 deaths per 100,000.

It should also be noted that less guns doesn't mean less suicide. In 2012, there were 2,535 suicides in Australia. That means there were 11 deaths per 100,000 due to suicide. Compare that to the US's 13 deaths per 100,000, and the difference is statistically insignificant.

The number of guns to gun crime death should also be looked at. In the US, there is an estimated 287,000,000 guns. That is .0000391 guns per gun crime death. There is an estimated 3,450,000 guns in Australia. Using the provided gun death proportion and 2014's population, that is about 203 gun related deaths. That means that there are .0000588 guns per death. That is a 40% difference, with Australia being on the high end of things.

I am not denying there is a gun problem, because there is one. But the gun problem is very over exaggerated, and, unfortunately, the applicable numbers on it require people to do math that they don't want to. I am not 100% anti-media, but I know that statistics and American media is a terrible combination.
    southpark347 and georgeashington like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.