[Shell vent] Why I think EMC is the only server worth supporting

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, May 25, 2022.

?

EMC rules!

Yes 3 vote(s) 50.0%
Yes 2 vote(s) 33.3%
Yes, I guess? ;) 1 vote(s) 16.7%
  1. Hi gang!

It's been a while since I was here, a long while. Blame both IRL issues (aftermath of my father passing away wasn't exactly easy, things kinda worked out though) and of course also Mojang. it doesn't help that most of the past Minecraft updates focused nearly fully on cosmetics and hardly anything new for us survivalists. I mean... foxes... awesome mobs; just too bad they always run away in the wild ;)

Alas, that's not why I'm posting and I'm also not going to follow up on comments about the above: that's just my opinion, each to their own.

The thing is... the longer I am here the more I begin to respect and admire the server as a whole. And no, it's not perfect from my POV, far from it. I have my issues and complaints. One of which I am hoping is going to be "nudged", but that's not up to me ;)

No, my point here is: there are many Minecraft servers out there which are hoping for your "real currency" donations and ... then what?

4 or so years ago I got a bit tired about survival on EMC, either you disable all enraged mobs or you deal with Al-Quada bunnies. I wasn't a fan and thus disabled all enraged mobs but then survival can get boring again if you've been doing that a long time.

Of course the economy aspect of the server and that awesome voting gear helped a lot here. I prefer my voter armor still, my friend Aya otoh is all about hard-core dia armor (I think she now has netherrite? not sure...) and that took some time but ... "other kind" of time & effort. But seriously: we both always mine with a shulker box on EMC despite none of us having actually defeated the Ender dragon... enter the economy ;)

Even so... we (my gf & me) hopped onto "another server" which had more focus on the survival aspect. Needless to say: after a few weeks both Aya & me became full supporters. Had a ton of perks, it was fun. That fun also faded.

SO... said server is still around today, for obvious reasons I'm not going to disclose its name, but the whole thing changed over there. Survival is non-existant anymore, it's only mini-games now. Yes, we can contact the owner/admin and have them verify our previous status and that will roll back into the current setup but... (this is common for many "other" servers btw: things change, they 'forget' about you ("sorta") but you can always contact the admins and ... hopefully things work out (this last part is hear-say on my end, I only know about one other server)).

AND then we come to Empire MineCraft, aka EMC.

Both my friend Aya & me have perm protect. In other words... all my 3 SMP2 ("SMP2 rules") residences and my Utopia one are still here. After me not having visted for... I dunno how long. Better yet: "/res list AyanamiKun" tells me all Aya's resses are still a thing too. She turned to the "dark side" 😁.

It gets better... In my vault... wait, what? No, not that vault, this one:

Build more than 4 or 5 years ago I think? (I don't claim to be a good builder btw, my drive is redstone!).

The only way to make those pressure plates respond is by unlocking them, you do that by pressing that button you see. Just too bad that the "use flag" has been disabled on this res and is only allocated to a select few players who are in my "#vault group" (you can't even use /vault on this res) :)

So in this vault is a chest which has a nice collection of vouchers that are still usable for us players today. Last time I used some was... 3 or so months ago, and before that it was over more than a year I think. And I got some of those vouchers even longer ago than that.

Ergo: my "supporter toys" which I got 3 or so years ago (give or take) still have value today. I don't need to "ask admins to please restore my status" because they chose to once again redo their whole server, I don't need even need to use these forums if I don't want to (this IS assuming no rules changed!, I need to check up) because I could probably (= assumption!) offer it up for purchase in chat.

Now, boring details like rules put aside for a moment (don't get me wrong here!) my point here is that my IRL purchases from a few years ago still have value, still mean something to this very day (= time of writing).

Pictures or it didn't happen? Fair point! (I'm sure only very few people will understand this one, but oh well ;))...

You're looking at a collection mostly consisting of iron & gold vouchers, and three blue ones.

Oh, this gets much better than that, trust me!

This is my outpost, Aya's outpost is somewhat close by ("sorta", I kinda forgot but I think we connected through a Nether gateway) but that's not even the point here: see that date? That is ACCURATE.

Yah, now you'll have to take my word on it but... no, wait a second here... didn't we have to...
    <insert pause>
    Seems I found a website bug....
    • Go to your profile.
    • Click the "postings" tab.
    • Go to the bottom, click "Find all threads by $your_name" .
    • An error is your friend.
    In the mean time Aya tried to help me but it seems you cannot search for threads before 2017 or such... so yah... Both Aya and me have a thread, but beats me where thatis...

It's still besides the point!

The point then: this whole kaboodle is STILL HERE. My/our (gonna check soon) outpost(s) survived 5 years out of which 3 of them (at least) were met with nothing. Passiveness, offlineness, nothing.

And it's all still here.

Our protected ranks, our residences, our outposts.... our parrots (very important 😁)!

See... "other server" I never mentioned in public yet could still relay to friends through PM on EMC without backlash .... is now a mini-game server. I guess the joke is on me ;)

If you'll excuse me, I got some merch to grab. (pardon the pun poll, I could not resist clicking away).
  2. ^ that goes 4 me too! ^.^
    We3_MPO and Merek_Shadower like this.
  3. sorry to hear of your loss, but i hope you are back again :)
    ShelLuser and UltiPig like this.
  4. Great to see you posting again! I wholeheartedly agree! EMC is entering an era of it's own legacy. That legacy being it's 1 of the oldest servers around that is still just as very much as it was. As you mentioned, other servers go thru growing pains and think the best way to grow their server is a complete change. Yes, EMC has made changes over the years but for the betterment IMO. The frontier never resets and perm protect for town res's are the key factors that haven't changed is what I'm referring to.

I do like having the ability to turn on enraged or not. Turn up diff or not. When building something tech in the nether it's nice NOT to have an enraged pigman spawn. (Worst enraged nether mob IMO) Some say the fire puppies are worst - eh.. an enraged pigman auto angers other nearby pigmen creating a horde of death and depending on the landscape the horde can be unending. I've died far more to that than a pack of puppies but thankfully I can choose to turn it off. Is that considered a cheat? No diff than being in a SP world, opening up a LAN and turn on cheats. In the same sense that you can choose to use those options or not.

I do feel that EMC should start out new players with enraged OFF. After a player adjusts to the server they can choose to turn them on. I've seen far too many players rage quite over seeing an Enderman on fire and they poke at it wondering what it is and getting completely wrecked beyond normal for it.

Anyway, Great to see ya back Shell!
  5. Regarding your title, I respectfully disagree, but I'm glad we can all have a difference of opinion. :)
    ShelLuser and Burki like this.
  6. A Shell Rant! Boy have I missed these. Welcome back.
  7. Welcome back Shell. :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  8. Welcome back, I have to agree; I have never found a server as good as EMC
    FadedMartian, ShelLuser and UltiPig like this.
  9. I never met you but clearly I need to know you
    nick92461 and FadedMartian like this.