School!! UGH!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by wonderwoman_16, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Having a 4.0 GPA with 2 AP classes is much more desirable than a 2.5 with four AP classes. People who take AP classes at my school are usually only the very top of the class.
  2. The majority of people here have 3.6 and above GPA with a 4.3+ QPA. If someone feels they can't take an AP class, they don't, but the majority do take that much.
  3. Keep in mind that you live in Baltimore county which is a completely different one than Anne Arundel. ;)

The standard for our AP classes is evidently different, and I am sure it differs from school to school as well. (I got the example 2.5 GPA from the lowest unweighted GPA you can have to play sports at my school)
  4. I'm too old to understand what's happening in schools these days but back when I was in high school it was a small minority of students that took AP classes and those that took AP classes only took a couple.

If everyone is taking AP classes these days, why don't they just make the regular classes AP level and stop calling it AP? I don't understand the need we have to separate students out, inferring that some are smarter (aka better) than others?

Just have special education for those that need it and then regular classes that are just as good as AP. Then give extra study sessions for anyone who may need them.
    L3A8 likes this.
  5. Many more people might be taking it, but that doesn't mean that more are passing the AP tests. I have noticed that there are many special-snowflake kids taking AP classes now because mom and dad told them that they can take on the world.
    boozle628, yankees518 and Ultimamaxx like this.
  6. I understand about AP classes being much harder depending on schools, etc. But wouldnt the difficulty also depend on the quality of the teacher? If the entity can learn the topic then it shouldn't be hard with enough effort would it?
  7. The quality of teaching definitely depends on the teacher, but AP classes are all supposed to follow a standard. If the teacher is poor, there are nearly infinite amounts of other resources online or in local libraries.:p If an AP student cannot problem solve, then I don't think they are ready for that level of class.
    boozle628 and L3A8 like this.
  8. Man, I miss out on everything.
  9. Keep in mind all AP testing is the same, as is the curriculum ;)

All students take the AP exam and the end of the year (not all, majority 65+%) or the finals, which are generally the same school to school. A couple of my friend, one in Virginia and one in Texas were able to discuss the exam after, as they had both taken the same one.
    jkjkjk182 and boozle628 like this.
  10. Sorry guys if I'm not respodning to a lot of questions.
  11. I agree! And I'm just a kid
    HelloKittyRo likes this.
  12. Yeah, school is fun. I'm scared and nervous.. it starts in 3 days.
  13. Since I saw mention of AP classes, I have to add my experience. Yes AP classes are good and passing the tests does save you in college. However, you also lose the ability to have an easy A in college. Across junior and senior year, I took 7 AP classes in high school and 4 dual credit classes. I graduated high school as a sophomore in college based on hours complete. BUT I struggled because instead of starting in freshman classes, I was in sophomore ones. Its a big jump from AP to real 4 year college material. I graduated with a minor in 3.5 years, so it did save me a semester or so, but it's rough on your GPA if you don't buckle down and work really hard.

Now.... I never had to take college English or history, so it depends on your major. Whichever area you focus towards I would advise waiving the credit and taking the class to help in the long run. The side stuff though, use those credits!
    Dektirok, kyukyu99 and Bayymaxx like this.
  14. The American school system is so complicated :confused:. I literally have no idea about most of the things you've put in that post :p.
  15. Yes, but I don't do AP yet in my school. You see, I'm only 11 years old. But, I'm in the highest classes at my school. (And the highest classes are 14nth grade classes). And those are the ones I'm in.
  16. Could someone fill me in... I believe you go through 'AP classes' when you are 16 years of age? Are they equal to the 'A levels' in the UK? After we are granted with our GCSE results at the age of 16 we are allowed to choose a course of either collage or further education such as staying on at the same school and doing two years of A levels or going to college and download a different course such as engineering, hear abd beauty, sports management and so on.

Is this anything like what I've heard you speak about? :p thankyou.
    HelloKittyRo likes this.
  17. Yes, AP is when you're 16.
  18. Don't rush High School, you'll wish you hadn't when you hit your Senior Year.
  19. In the US, you go to high school until 18, after which you decide if you want to go to a 2 year or 4 year college, trade school, or not go to college. The high achievers in high school have the option to take Advanced Placement classes that can grant college credit so you can knock time off your 4 year degree.
    Basically we don't decide a specific path until around 18 yrs of age, unless you go to a high school that is prepped for it. The most widely known ones are high schools for the performing arts if you are interested in those. But even within the US, there are different systems. Some go elementary to middle to high school. Some go elementary to intermediate to middle to preparatory. It's kinda a mess =P
    HelloKittyRo likes this.
  20. I'm in the US baby!