Random Quotes and Sayings Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Illuminooty, Dec 30, 2014.

1. “Happiness is the most insidious prison of all.”
    ― Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
    battmeghs and Alyattayla like this.
  2. "If you tell a Fish to climb a Tree, That fish will feel dumb for the rest of their life"

I think thats how it was worded, saw a poster a few years ago :p.
    iGTR likes this.
  3. Strangely enough, I read this quote either yesterday or this morning. It's something along those lines...

4. Thats what it was, I was close. Had to look it up. :D
    607 and iGTR like this.
  5. Found it. I saw it on this thread yesterday. :p
  6. "People like grapes." -Gavino Free
    iGTR likes this.
  7. 'It all just disappears, doesn't it? Everything you are, like breath on a mirror."
    'We all change. When you think about it, we are all different people all through our lives. And that's okay, that's good. You've got to keep moving, so long as you remember all the different people you used to be.'

Yeah, these are quotes from Doctor Who when the Doctor was regenerating. But they can both be applied to normal people in real life. Your personality will change throughout your life, the atoms that make you up are replaced every few years (meaning that your consciousness lives in approximately 11 bodies throughout its lifespan), and you make new memories and friends and stuff throughout your life. The minute old you and the 80,90, hell, I'll stretch to 100 year old you, wherever you are when you die, are basically two different people.
    iGTR likes this.
  8. I'll be posting some of my favourite quotes from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll.

“How am I to get in?” asked Alice again, in a louder tone. “Are you going to get in at all?” said the Footman. “That’s the first question, you know.” It was, no doubt: only Alice did not like to be told so. “It’s really dreadful,” she muttered to herself, “the way all the creatures argue. It’s enough to drive one crazy!” The Footman seemed to think this a good opportunity for repeating his remark, with variations. “I shall sit here,” he said, “on and off, for days and days.” “But what am I to do?” said Alice. “Anything you like,” said the Footman, and began whistling.

“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?” “That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat. “I don’t much care where-“ said Alice. “Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.

“Very true,” said the Duchess: “flamingoes and mustard both bite. And the moral of that is-‘Birds of a feather flock together.’” “Only mustard isn’t a bird,” Alice remarked. “Right, as usual,” said the Duchess:”what a clear way you have of putting things!” “It’s a mineral, I think,” said Alice. “Of course it is,” said the Duchess, who seemed ready to agree to everything that Alice said:”there’s a large mustard-mine near here. And the moral of that is-‘The more there is of mine, the less there is of yours.’”

Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through al her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood; and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago; and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days.

;w;
  9. I love these quotes. Keep them coming! Here's another one from me.

History repeats itself because no one was listening the first time.
    -Anonymous
    porphos likes this.
  10. Lord Hay, British General: "Gentlemen of France, perhaps you would care to fire first?"
    French Officer: "No good sir, we shall not fire until you do."
    - Battle of Fontenoy, 1745

An interesting part of history I found today with these quotes. After these words were uttered, the British Officer was said to have tipped his hat and his men opened fire, dealing a great blow to the French force and killing the French Officer, who died a Gentleman.
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  11. I like this thread...
    A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way. John C. Maxwell
    battmeghs and iGTR like this.
  12. From Assassin's Creed IV:
    Benjamin Hornigold: When I look on the fruits of our years of labor, all I see is sickness, idleness and idiocy.
    Edward Thatch: Not a sunbeam of difference between here and London, then.

I like this quote because this makes sense in the real world and outside of a fictional 1700's... :p
    iGTR likes this.
  13. "The ship hung in the sky much in the same way that bricks didn't."
    -A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
  14. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Doctor Suess
    "True friends stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde
    "My hair does not smell like doughnuts. No, seriously, it's not me! Here, smell my hair. See? It doesn't smell like doughnuts!" - Anonymous
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - Miles Kington
    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not from you." - Random people
    Penguinub, Deadmaster98, 607 and 2 others like this.
  15. "Hamsters are like cigarettes. They're perfectly healthy until you ignite one end and stick it in your mouth."
    ~8comimi
  16. "Who needs a medical license when you got style?" (Dr. Zed)
    iGTR likes this.
  17. "Guess what Caden just bought >:)"
    -Me
    iGTR likes this.
  18. I always did like that little parable. I tend to be the guy not throwing starfish, more often than I'd like, but it's a good lesson just the same.

Personal favorites:
    "Memento mori." / "Remember, thou art mortal."
    -My 5th grade teacher once said the only perfect people were the dead ones, who could make no mistakes. Humility is a virtue - there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to realize it and learn from it.

"Light a man on fire, he'll be warm for life." / Humorous summation of the old "Teach a man to fish" addage
    ("Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he'll eat for life."
    -Knowledge is strength. There is more value in teaching someone to sustain themselves than in performing a task for them.
    Marktanion and iGTR like this.