[POLL] What upcoming feature do you desire more?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Oct 7, 2015.

?

Which Feature Priority should we go with?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2015.
Dragon Tombs [3], Empires, Land Claiming 194 vote(s) 33.2%
Empires, Dragon Tombs [3], Land Claiming 41 vote(s) 7.0%
Empires, Land Claiming, Dragon Tombs [3] 350 vote(s) 59.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The stories / opinions differ a bit and I don't think you can get a real straight answer. Also: no build is the same. Some will attract more attention than others.

For some weeks now some players and myself try to keep an eye open for griefing in order to help out players by refunding blocks, optionally rupees. All run through GRIP (name of the organization). We do stumble upon issues, but not the massive amounts which I've been expecting.

Which is not saying that nothing happens mind you. Here's the thing: some builds are maintained by veterans, people with access to resources which possibly outdo our own. When they run into griefers they hopefully report it, but then don't really care too much about the blocks / money because they can easily handle it themselves. The frustration for them comes from the griefing, and the work that brings with it.

But trust me when I say that griefing is a problem around here.

I've been part of a public farm just near a frontier spawn. In the overall it worked out just fine, but we had to cope with griefing almost twice a month. Another public farm, which seems more hidden (friend of mine told me about it, never visited it so far), apparently also sits next to the frontier outpost yet has had no issues.

And it's as if Murphy is watching here because just this evening did I visit the wastelands on SMP2 only to find a pretty cool tree house build griefed. Obviously griefed: lava flowing everywhere, blocks removed, etc. the works. Tried to report it but because it's not my build the staff can't / won't do anything. That's also a factor which should be kept in mind: if you can't report obvious griefs just because the build isn't yours... Yah, that's also not helping with getting a good idea about numbers.

But seriously: also look at the poll results. That doesn't come out of the blue either.

They most certainly risk more.

This story is hear-say but I've experienced enough from it: I'm part of such an hidden outpost and at one time we had a member who really didn't fit into the group. Eventually he was requested to leave, which resulted in him griefing the outpost. Eventually resulting in his ban, but yah...

How does one get to an outpost? A lot of outposts use hidden pathways or railways to get there. Weakest link right there: if people stumble upon that by accident and follow the bread crumbs... Instant risk factor.

And well, I'm repeating myself but the poll results also speak for themselves here I think.
  2. Just a tiny bit of clarification:
    Dragon Tombs and Land Claiming have been side by side on our to-do list, often talked about as one item since the (way too early) mention of both things in this post: http://empireminecraft.com/threads/emc-dragon-tombs-info.14398/. While they were originally mentioned as happening in a different order, plans change and aspects of one work with aspects of the other and vice versa, so they became more tied together. They've both been on the table for a very long time due to some setbacks here and there (updates from mojang, bugs, irl). I'm excited to see the next steps of both.
    crystaldragon13 and Gawadrolt like this.
  3. Land Claiming for us smp8-ers who keep fixing all the griefing. If we could have land claiming first, it would be more helpful to everyone. Dragon Tombs are an optional necessity. :)

EDIT: Just imagine. The smp8 public builds being protected, an instant teleport to town. How awesome would that be? :)
  4. DT, please. It's been in the works for around 3 years now, and I'd really like to see that wrapped up. :)
    Catacacalysm and PenguinDJ like this.
  5. Land claiming. Griefing wasn't really a huge problem for me... before I moved into the wild. I have been pretty cautious and learned quite a few tricks and what not to do by word of mouth before undertaking the venture. A lot of people even people that have been here for over a year have outposts less hidden than mine was from day one. Also, as shell pointed out, if you like playing with other people and are proud and want to show off your build, it only takes one person to start telling everyone where your stuff is or griefing it themselves.My favorite player on EMC has been griefed so many times that we gave up on fixing the holes. Another player that i play with just quit emc for good because his outpost gets griefed 2-3 times a month and it isnt even very close to spawn. Its just REALLY visible to live map, intentionally so. He has been here for about or over a year.

Dragon tombs seems cool. We have been led on about some of the details here and there but losing our veteran and active wild players because a seemingly obvious mechanic has been pushed back and pushed back, I cant see where anyone that doesn't just live in town all the time would choose it over land claiming. This post still doesn't give us any kind of time frame on either one. Land claiming could take two months or a year, I have no clue. Dragon tombs is obviously going to take well over two months time though as the pride in the development would likely be leaked intentionally or not considering what we have already found out.

If I had to venture to guess, the actual dragon tombs coding, structures and mobs are still all in aikars head. :-P

Meanwhile there are DOZENS of established outposts
  6. I want land claiming its one more step for a greif free server
  7. I have a community in the wild that did the old [ESTABLISHED] thing with the locked chest and got it all certified with the mods....would that still be valid?
  8. I heard that Claimed Outposts on the site will get special items, is that true?
  9. That is the first step in the process I believe.
  10. You will have first dibs to claim your land before the "open to everyone" aspect is opened.

then once we have the real system in place, there wont be any more staff approval.

The staff approval system is currently in place so that we can control the registrations and ensure 2 people dont end up conflicting when it comes to the automatic system...

So everyone with a established outpost on the forums should have no issues claiming the land around them.

it's pretty much a precaution to avoid issues in future.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  11. I don't especially agree pushing dragon tombs when you can improve problems we have now. We have a large greifing problem in all frontiers. In order of fixing this, we should push for land claiming. Needless to say Empires will come with land claiming.

I would now compare minecraft's 1.9 update with Dragon tombs...

Un-Needed
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  12. As currently voted for by 35% of people, it is desired by many. The poll is based around the idea that we will add more small improvements to reduce griefing, but to see if people still prefer claiming over DT first.

I made the poll as its not like noone wants DT... Someones going to be unpleased regardless what we do, but the goal is to prioritize what the majority wants.

I'm sorry to whoever gets the undesired result they want, but gotta understand we need to listen to the majority (as I said I am wanting to get a good amount of votes on this poll, will run it for least a week)
  13. I'm a bit confused on this block protection system. If this is introduced before land claiming, how would it work for current outposts? If I place a block my friend, or even an alt, wouldn't be able to move it, right? :confused:
    ThaKloned likes this.
  14. Is pushing Empires out mandatory in order to do land claiming? Just curious as there is no option where land claiming is first.
  15. We have an upcoming Friends List system I'm going to take on and do next real quick.

Anyone on your friends list or inside your group will be able to break them, so just friend your fellow outpost members, and then only they can break your blocks.
  16. I was being a little bashful let me explain my post...

I understand it's going to be the majority, I was just showing my opinion on the matter.

I also know that you have been working on Dragon Tombs since JustinGuy times. Veterans want it, I get it but logically if they can't build of the fear of greifers then we will lose players. Empire minecraft isn't built upon special items or bosses, it's to have fun with others and build to their hearts content.

My two cents
    ShelLuser and Gawadrolt like this.
  17. As said in the OP and other posts, yes. Empire's are the owner of the land.

The *BASIC* elements of Empires isn't a large task, and wont take long to do.

The middle option is presented, as if we did Empires first, Empire members *ALSO* would be able to break your blocks, so that reduces the need to friend everyone, and simplifies things.

So your special blocks would be protected to your Empire, minus the flag setting / placement restrictions.
    ThaKloned and Keliris like this.
  18. Ok thanks.
  19. Just for clarification: I want land claiming only because I'm tired of rebuilding my friends stuff. If you can make it so griefing isn't something we have to keep fixing, I don't care that my land isn't "claimed" in the system. Your ideas for preventing others from breaking blocks seems sound enough. Sure there could be incidents but we have our green patrol for any of those odd occurances. :) dt3 taking priority would be fine with me if I didn't have to lose my friends because empires "grief free" server isn't grief free at all :-/
    ShelLuser and ThaKloned like this.
  20. To be fair, it says "Grief Free Town" in most places :p in the early days EMC didn't even "support" the wild so it used a generic "Grief Free" label.
    ShelLuser and ChefNub like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.