[POLL] The New Wastelands Name

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Feb 28, 2013.

?

What should the OLD/CURRENT Wild/Nether be named

Frontier 281 vote(s) 57.6%
Empire 28 vote(s) 5.7%
Province 24 vote(s) 4.9%
Nation 11 vote(s) 2.3%
Firmament 8 vote(s) 1.6%
Colony 46 vote(s) 9.4%
Mainland 71 vote(s) 14.5%
Perm (to match with Vola) 6 vote(s) 1.2%
Enduring 13 vote(s) 2.7%
  1. Ok epic quote fail................
  2. Heh. Yeah I thought the same thing as soon as I wrote it. lol
  3. Ooh, can't wait for the 1.5 update...so exciting...
  4. this would be awesome
  5. This is THE BEST idea ever generated for the benefit of wild outpost residents.
    THANK YOU!!!!
    L0tad and shavingfoam like this.
  6. Until claiming land in the wild perhaps?
    L0tad likes this.
  7. Actually, the original Wastelands were a place where you could orient yourself with the site's dynmap. The current Wild is its spiritual successor. On the other hand, the other world was called the "Wilderness", which did not have an assigned dynmap, so that people could build secret bases without being spied on (lockable chests didn't exist at the time, making hiding your best bet at preserving your more valuable items).

Aww, wouldn't you like something like this ?

8. I like 'the barrens' for the new wasteland name.
    eklektoi likes this.
  9. Here's my two cents: I don't like any of the names that are currently on this list. Saying frontier makes me think that the place that I'm going to is new, not old. Saying nation sounds more like a goal for the old wild. A couple of the others ones don't feel like they're international terms (Ex: someone in the US may be confused by the term providence). What I would like to see is for the old wild to be called something that's more appropriate to its future use, but without setting any odd expectations. I think if we named it the Settled Wild, Explored Wild, Settlement Wild, or anything along those similar lines we could still refer to it's future use as well as giving it a very practical name so that new users coming along will be able to quickly tell the difference.
  10. Based on the server configuration, wastelands was the 2ndary :p
    Tikiman678 likes this.
  11. I don't think you understand the definition of Frontier.

Frontier is not "newly explored land by humans for the first time"

Go read the wiki description. It really fits well for what it will be used for (Well already used for)

Frontier is the area around a settlement, which the current wild is and will be filling with those.

sure, once you get away from a settlement, your technically not in "frontier" area anymore, but nothings going to be perfect, and who defines how far a frontier extends anyways ? :)

On EMC, everything outside of your settlement will be the frontier!

Plus, "Settled Wild" just does not sound good on the tongue at all.
  12. I'm still thinking though, since the New 'wastelands' will be a place we will strip down of it's resources ... we need a name that reflects 'this is the place we go to to get our main resources'
    Few names could be: Wasteland, Barrens, Uninhabitable, GhostTown, even frontier maybe (something that sounds like it will be abandoned for living, but went to for getting resources)

While, the Current 'wild'
    will be a place (yeh you can still get occasional resources from it) but it will be more for settlements, and group events, search parties, wild adventures, and to try and repair the wild ...
    And to me, that's what it will be, is a wild (animals running around, areas not stripped and look like deserted lands, but a wild)
    Names that reflect this could be: Wild, Nature, or even AdventureLand lol

I kind of like the current names, with the changes being made, I can see their current names reflect what they will be
  13. Best. Picture. Ever.
  14. It may be that I don't understand it, but it's still hard to wrap my mind around it. Maybe this is just proof of the failure of the US educational system. ;p
  15. I suggested Diggy Diggy Place but Aikar must not have thought I was serious.
    margaritte and pyro_vampiress like this.
  16. hay im a dwarf and im digging a hole,hole.diggy diggy dwarf hole digging a hole
    pyro_vampiress and 607 like this.
  17. Not much point using the name frontier if half the people here have to have the dictionary definition written out for them in order to understand it..
  18. Frontier is not an obscure word...
  19. This is good news. I was wondering how i was gonna get the quarts