[POLL] The New Wastelands Name

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Feb 28, 2013.

?

What should the OLD/CURRENT Wild/Nether be named

Frontier 281 vote(s) 57.6%
Empire 28 vote(s) 5.7%
Province 24 vote(s) 4.9%
Nation 11 vote(s) 2.3%
Firmament 8 vote(s) 1.6%
Colony 46 vote(s) 9.4%
Mainland 71 vote(s) 14.5%
Perm (to match with Vola) 6 vote(s) 1.2%
Enduring 13 vote(s) 2.7%
  1. There is no settled land in the new wild, so Frontier does not fit well there at all.

The only "boundry" in the new wild is the PRA/Official teleport outpost.

Frontier is as I quote the wiki page more: "one change was that unlimited free land in this zone was available, and thus offered the psychological sense of unlimited opportunity. This, in turn, had many consequences such as optimism, future orientation, shedding of restraints due to land scarcity, and wastefulness of natural resources."

The land in the current wild is open for development.

While some of this definition can still apply to the new wild, most does not.

There will not be settlements nor will it be prime for development.
    Nor is land unlimited as the land will be "reclaimed" periodically, and we are likely to limit the size of this world.
  2. no
  3. Aikar, you and the word frontier :p
  4. I agree with soulpunisher. What's wrong with the current wild names? I like wild and nether. This was how it was when I joined and I hope it stays the same...
    Call_Me_DeJaja likes this.
  5. I know it sound counter-productive ... but what about keeping the names the way they are ... yeh the current wild is more of a wasteland then the ones that will be coming up ... but you said so yourself that we will try to restore the current wild - and it would look like a place where we could live again, and just go on adventures .... while the new wasteland will be a place where we can completely strip it of it's resources - thus making it look like a barren wasteland

maybe call wasteland - The barrens
    maybe call wild - The wild
    Call_Me_DeJaja and bitemenow15 like this.
  6. 'The word "frontier" also means a region at the edge of a settled area'
    Settled area could been referred to as Town. We have settlements there.

'It is a transition zone where explorers, pioneers and settlers were arriving'.

This can't be more true. Due to frequent refreshment of the frontier, more people will just go there to get resources. People will make only temporary bases (which you could see as settlements) and pioneer and explore trough the fresh land.

Even with limits on the Frontierworld, there's still plenty of resources just for the take. For example:

The frontierworld starts in a forest. The trees will be gone within a week, experience has proven that most of the time people don't plant trees back to preserve the natural environment of minecraft

The frontierworld starts in a desert. Nuclear test site. 'Nuff said.

The frontierworld starts on an island in the sea. Cobble-dirt bridges 1 block above sea level, least damage against environment possible unless well... lava.

All of this written above seems to apply very very well to the term of Frontier if you ask me.

ps. @ the-guy-who-said-that-Nation-might-not-be-a-good-name; I got to agree with you somehow.
  7. What about the End? Will there be two separate worlds for it as well?
  8. They will be shared
  9. will it ever be reset?
  10. No... But if it comes to the point we need a new one, we will simply start a wastelands end at that point then.
  11. the... the wastelands are back?
    you mean you took them away for over a year, and you're bringing them back?
    that's...
    that's...
    i love it.
  12. Ro...
    Ro...
    ROBERT? Your back?!?!
    imBobertRobert and jkjkjk182 like this.
  13. Oh yeah, I don't know what it's like in America, but in England "Province" is a place like Cheshire, Merseyside, etc. They are the English version of American "States"...so if the wild was to be renamed to Province it would make no sense at all for me.
  14. who ever said im back? just a traveler passin' through... :p
    jacob5089 likes this.
  15. Lol-Hope you stay!
    imBobertRobert likes this.
  16. I'd love to see the Wasteland make a return :D
    (Talking about the new worlds, not the current worlds)
    jacob5089 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  17. I cant wait for this! It will be awesome, thanks Staff!
    jacob5089 likes this.
  18. I will be happy no matter what the names are, I will adjust. Just be sure to make some signs at the spawns of each world that clearly state it's intended use. Colonies and wastelands seem like a good contrasting pair in my humble opinion.

This is off topic, but there is really no need for the outposts in the wastelands to be all the way out at 10,000 blocks. Has anyone considered making about 8 outposts scattered about at 3000-5000 blocks from the main spawn? This would make it easy (maybe too easy) to reach various biomes without excessive travel time or nether warping. Im pretty content with exploring through nether portals, but I don't usually run into too many others.

Anyway, as always, Thanks for ruining the economy Aikar!
    jacob5089 likes this.
  19. *Reads whole thread* *Looks at Aikar's signature*

When Aikar is done with performance we will be black and white and animals will move like robots" Progress: 50%

20. Already planned to be exactly that, which is why I said there will (well said possibly before, but there will be) be a distance limit for the wastelands.

There will be more than 4 outpost likely, I was aiming for NW/NE/SE/SW too for 8 total and make it random which one you get on teleport (but still have option to go to the others)
    jacob5089 likes this.