[POLL] The New Wastelands Name

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Feb 28, 2013.

?

What should the OLD/CURRENT Wild/Nether be named

Frontier 281 vote(s) 57.6%
Empire 28 vote(s) 5.7%
Province 24 vote(s) 4.9%
Nation 11 vote(s) 2.3%
Firmament 8 vote(s) 1.6%
Colony 46 vote(s) 9.4%
Mainland 71 vote(s) 14.5%
Perm (to match with Vola) 6 vote(s) 1.2%
Enduring 13 vote(s) 2.7%
  1. Soon as we get "time" I will work on making the PRA fully automated...

But yes after the update we will manually repair them and hope they stay that way.
    battmeghs likes this.
  2. Slightly unrelated question about the Dragon Egg update:

When the dragon egg update comes out and we're able to claim land in the wild, will we be able to make chest shops on our claimed land?
  3. Potentially

There's alot of code that ensures the current world is a town world... so it might not be in the initial release, but I don't see why not for the overall goal.
  4. Best thing on the internets!

No, we have the old wild for that

I think so, to tidy it up.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  5. I dont like any of those name.
    I think old wild should remain the Wilderness.
    And New wild... as Wastelands.

Can i ask about nether portals.
    Will the New Wild and Nether portals remain impartial to the old Wild and Nether?
    Or if i create a portal in old wild, will i potentially land in the New nether?
  6. This is definitely not a new concept, many other servers use it. However, I do believe it is necessary for the longevity of older servers...such as our great server :)

So, with a new wild coming out and the old one to be used more "politically", I have a suggestion. Every time you perma ban someone for griefing, you give them an option, if they contact you to get back in....the option being "community service". Imagine, some kid griefs a house in the wild and gets banned. He/she cries up a storm to get back in. A mod offers reinstatement under one condition.....5, 10, 20+ hours community service. this would involve teams of players heading into our old wild and fixing creeper holes, repairing and expanding roads, replanting forests and so on. I haven't thought in depth about the logistics of such a venture, but the concept is decent I think.

Lastly, if and when we are able to claim land in the wild, a patch allowing shop chests must follow soon after, or the idea of real "cities" or "towns" will go out the window. Without the shops, the best we can hope for is a nice little village or "base" for people to work out of as they strip the surrounding areas of resources.

PS. Can't wait for Dragon Tomb!
  7. 27th!
    Wow, equinoxboss hasn't liked all post yet:p

I think I will still use the old nether for mining sometimes.
    Or are we only allowed to build outposts in the old nether and wilderniss when the update comes out?
    pyro_vampiress likes this.
  8. I voted for mainland
  9. You can build them in either, but don't expect them to last in the new wild/nether as that is what gets reset.
  10. A suggestion. Some people will still go the the old wilderness and dig pits near the spawn, out of either ignorance or pigheadedness. Can you extend the spawn protections into the whole current reset area in the existing wilderness, but not in the new wastelands? That means the resources would be considerably quicker to reach on the new wasteland area than in the old wilderness, and should give people a push to use the two as intended.

I like the wilderness/wasteland names best myself.
  11. ^i don think an extention would be good cause it would potentially force griefers to go further out (thus hitting alot more untouched outposts) i think something like an annoying message that pops up every five blocks you break within that yellow area saying something like you should go further out for most people that alone would deter it
  12. Mainland

Ps: why can't we use the current wilderness as the wasteland? It's already so.. wasted. Damaged.
    pyro_vampiress likes this.
  13. I'm sure I'm being quite tragically dumb, but I'm still not clear on exactly what's happening here.

The wild we're in at the moment will NOT be reset? Is that right? But then - will any new blocks/structures appear in our current wild? Like Emeralds or Desert Temples, stuff like that?

I'd be up for a full reset, actually. Even though I live in the wild. Bite the bullet, get back to basics, start fresh. Nice.

Doubt many others feel that way though.
  14. ive spent weeks developing my area so no, but id be more then happy to come and reset yours :D fresh start and all
    607 likes this.
  15. Current Wild / Nether: Will never be reset. (To access new ores in the current wild, you will have to venture into the black areas on the Live Map for it to generate new land.)

New Wild / Nether: Will be reset periodically. (It would be wise to not build any long term buildings in here as they will disappear each reset)
    607, Cholo102 and bitemenow15 like this.
  16. This is a wonderful idea. I've wondered what would happen after a long amount of time if we kept stripping the wild and nether for resources. A lot of stores in town are already sold out of things like diamonds and other rare/difficult to harvest items. And both the nether and wild look like hell in some places.
    BilboBaggins23 likes this.
  17. Weeks? I'm approaching my first year! ^^

I suppose that could be a reason in itself.

@Qwertyip - Thanks, that's clear now! :)
  18. im just saying, if you dont value the time you have spent working on whatever thats cool ill come and turn it into a dirt field lol. but i got two beacons and alot of labor intensive stuff out at my outpost so mentioning a reset on all that is, hmmm im gonna use the wrong word but: perplexing
  19. I would find it very appealing if the current wild/nether would be 'nation'.
    In 'Nation' you can build, as it already states, nations with friends, build awesome stuff here without limits and really make a country or something like that.

The always up-to-date wild/nether should be named 'frontier' in my opinion.
    Frontier is land that is unexplored yet. Since these worlds always refresh themselves after an update, this will be relatively fresh and unexplored land. Therefor Frontier would really fit in well.
  20. I voted Frontier, it sounds the coolest. I am strongly against naming it Nation, because it is not a nation.

The Wikipedia article for 'nation' provides two definitions for the term; a community of people who share a common language, culture, ethnicity, descent or history, or people who share a sovereign state. As of this moment, there is only one sovereign state in the wild (or more accurately there is going to be one) and that's the New Republic. The Dragon Tomb update will encourage many more nations and city states to appear. And at that point, the Wilderness will not be a Nation.
    GenBlkGuy likes this.