[POLL] Mac or Windows?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dufne, May 19, 2015.

?

Mac Or Windows? (Or other)

Mac 35 vote(s) 22.4%
Windows 112 vote(s) 71.8%
Other 9 vote(s) 5.8%
  1. Typically a business will run Windows because it has a wider range of users and it's highly likely the employees use Windows already. Also, software, support and price is better for Windows than Mac.

Servers however typically run a Linux distro (~90% iirc).
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. Editing/Working=MAC
    Gaming=Windows
  3. Why exactly is doing things like editing and working better on a Mac? Are there certain programs for it that you can't get on Windows.
    Trucker454 and nfell2009 like this.
  4. I take back my earlier statements about OSX being better for video/photo editing. Turns out Windows does it better now that there is more support for it and better software suites than there used to be, many better than what you can find for Mac (and those that are cross platform seem to work better on Windows).
    Gawadrolt and nfell2009 like this.
  5. Considering how software giants like Adobe prefer to work on Windows, I do believe the software for Windows is greater. Adobe can make more money on Windows than Mac because there are more people. Anyone who really wants it can just emulate Windows on Mac, which doesn't bother Adobe as they're making money anyway.
  6. I actually do run a (small!) business and although there's no denying on my end that Mac has its share of professionalism (most of my friends who are also deep into synthesizers and DAW's (Digital Audio Workstations) are all using Mac's for the easy & no-nonsense way of working) I still think its not the best for regular business. Mainly price vs. result. As well as the issue that Windows is more common.

Because in this case you don't have to purchase it. Even though using Windows illegally is more or less "accepted" (to a certain degree) it doesn't make it right. So to be honest I admire the folks who use those arguments to run something else. They don't have to pay for the product (debatable because time is money too) and still abide to a sensible morale of not "stealing" (or abusing) other people's work. That deserves some respect too.

You say hardware, I say money & attitude. Yes, the hardware is the problem why several things don't work (though they have become a lot better and made much progress). The cause however... First; companies are in this for the money and personally I don't think there's much money to be made with providing Linux support for your hardware. The other is motivation. Would you be motivated by participating in a project where the head honcho will simply start swearing and cursing when he feels something isn't done right? Mind you: this link is the more "family friendly" version, I can come up with much worse by going over the LKML (Linux Kernel Mailing List).

Each to his own but you can't convince me that this doesn't systematically scares (or ticks) some companies off. Why risk the headlines: "Linux owner disagrees with <major company name here>"? Its probably cheaper to pick up on the "loss" of not supporting Linux in comparison to the media control you'd have to do if you manage to step on one of Linus' very long toes (personal opinion).

The whole attitude problem and in my opinion: blatantly display of disrespect is one of the things which has always made me steer clear from Linux business wise.
  7. My two cents:
    This is a gaming server. Therefore, the sole purpose of everyone here is to (get this) play games. :p
    What are Macs good at? Everything except gaming.
    What are PCs good at? Absolutely nothing but gaming, other than being low priced (the reason for which has already been listed :p).
    Therefore, I predict that the majority of people on this server PREFER PCs (despite their obvious inferiority) because they likely are simply using them for gaming (specifically the younger side of the community). However, Macs are generally faster, easier to use, and basically better in every way (but the one) than PCs. :D

As for Linux, don't talk to me about Linux. Any company that has the random logo of a penguin is adorable but probably just trying to make up for general ineptitude when compared to other brands by using a cutesy logo. :p
    cadenman2002 and huckleberry24 like this.
  8. Mac is a glorified, facebook machine. Its garbage in pristine white packaging
    L3A8 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  9. True, Macs can rest because Windows is not a good competition so Mac IS the master race

#Macforlife!
    huckleberry24 likes this.
  10. Windows master race.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  11. <3
  12. How are Macs better than a PC? I would like to see some evidence of this. It is a misconception that Macs are faster. If you were to compare on price, PC wins in every way. There is no disputing that when you buy a Mac, you pay for the name.
    I say we settle this in a match of CoD Advanced warfare, BF4, or BF hardline.
  13. Fair enough. A lot of this thread is, to be honest, just opinion. I've used PCs in the past, and I tend to hate everything about how they're laid out. They make me feel old, and the keys don't type quite as smoothly. :p However, I have noticed a fairly large difference in quality (both in how fast it goes and how fast it breaks down) when using the two different types. I had a Mac that lasted for around 7 years, whereas a PC that I had used just as much (if not less) only made it about two years before becoming slow and incapable of producing anything of quality.

However, I did forget one benefit of PCs: Microsoft Word is 10000000000x better than pages or Google Drive. :p
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  14. wait are we talking about hardware or software? or both?
  15. Both.
  16. I personally have had both computers. I really like SOME features of Windows, but not all. I like how you are able to play more games and some of the programs created for windows. Apart from those two things, there isn't much that i like about windows. Like Bro_im_infinite said, Mac is better for school work and documents and such, but the list doesn't end there. Mac can run all the programs window runs by using an app called Wine. Wine allows you to run windows programs on an apple product, which is great because Wine is free. Macs, apart from being used for documents and games, have a minimalistic design, inside and out. This minimalistic design is pleasing to the eye and prevents you from getting head aches when things go wrong. The greatest things about macs that Windows does and cannot have, is the fact that it is almost impossible to get a virus. Although saying how Mac is amazing and showing how much i like it, macs also have their flaws. These flaws are mainly due to battery issues, program errors, and numerous updates to iTunes that take up memory. These problems wouldn't be so bad if Geniuses at the apple store knew what they are doing. But once they finally notice that turning your laptop off and on doesn't fix the problem, they spend another hour in their backroom doing weird rituals that somehow fix your laptop. In my opinion though, i like macs more than windows computers.
  17. but if you can afford a mac, you can afford a quarter... logic
    huckleberry24 likes this.
  18. What ever floats your boat.
  19. A potato can only float a boat for so long though.. Then it dissolves..
    TechFilmer and jkjkjk182 like this.
  20. Faster of doing what exactly?

Note; I am a Windows / FreeBSD user so if I make a mistake here then I hope someone can correct me. But when it comes to re-installing your OS for whatever reason (no, I am serious here!) Mac wins head & shoulders. All you need with the modern machines is an Internet connection. It can connect to the main software repository (no idea how that is called) where it'll identify itself with its serial number, gets acknowledged and recognized, and then the install can proceed. No media required.

I know this isn't the best of examples, but it does goes to proof you that you don't only pay for the name. There's much more underneath, including more user friendlyness in some areas.

I can only comment on this because a friend demo'd it to me. Cannot comment on anything else due to lack of expertise. But I have seen enough to realize that although I do agree with the high price on Mac products there is also more "under the hood".